deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Modern] Help the new guy out  (Read 876 times)

KodoHunter

• Decks
[Modern] Help the new guy out
« on: July 10, 2014, 04:57:15 pm »
Hi guys!

I'm Kodo, and I need your advice. The thing is, I'm rather new to magic (<6 months of occasional playing), and have some problems in building my deck. While it works somehow against my friends, they are just as new to the game as I am, so I'm afraid it won't do the same in the local tournaments (which is where I'm planning to go).

I'll drop the deck here, and try to explain a bit on what I've been trying to have it do.
http://deckstats.net/decks/18136/104666-kodo

I started building the deck upon obtaining Vraska the Unseen several months ago. I had read that one should try to start building a deck around a card that seems good, and Vraska being my first planeswalker I just couldn't resist myself. Vraska is a G/B card, and in my mind, green meant big creatures and black meant doom blades. Later on I learned that slow is bad, so I did my best to create a mana ramp to get them creatures out earlier.
This is basically the spine of the deck, the general idea on which I've worked on.

The first thing that many of you probably think when first seeing the composition of this deck is probably: "why so many different cards? Having 4 of each good card increases the chances of getting the good out, and less likely the not-so-good ones." Well, yes, I'm aware of that. But the problem is, I don't have a large collection; of most of my cards, I own 1-2 copies max.

What kind of cards could this deck use? Some giant/titanic growths? More cards with reach? Leafcrown dryad? Plummet? Counterspells? Could 'Not of this world' have it's uses here? Borderland ranger or maybe Garruk's packleader? Even got one Protean hydra, and have understood it's good, but could it really work here? More black cards? Something else?

What does definitely not work here? What do I need to take out and have replaced?

I'm also not too sure of the mana curve here. Am I just imagining, or is it plain horrible?

Anything else you need to know about what I did and why? All feedback is welcome, and appreciated.

-Kodo

« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 08:22:54 pm by KodoHunter »

edo90swimmer

• ''From the darkness, I walk into the light''
  • Decks
Re: [Modern] Help the new guy out
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 09:03:18 pm »
In my opinion, you have too much cards in 1x, try to cut off some cards, and use the others in 3/4x :)
[vote up] if I did a good work

swsteinke

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 08:25:33 am »
a game rarely goes past 10 turns in standard.  In modern it is a turn 4-5 kill or pickup.  Modern has extremely powerful cards and they are pricy.  In a deck I want about nine cards to show up.  Nine cards, ten turns ....that is where the mana curve comes in. (That is excluding mana altogether. We always want to play a land every turn) 
In order for us to get to play those nine cards we play multiple copies (four ofs)  so 9 x 4 = 36 =24 lands is 60 in deck.  I am more on the cheap side when it comes to modern and also keeping it simple.  Check out my green deck.  I am going to use it for TCGstates next month.
I can tell you have a limited supply of cards.  Money or great trading skills is the only way to get to the top, then you have to be good, and luck never hurts.
I got blasted away at FNM when I started playing.  I asked what it took to be good.  they told me I needed the right deck and the search the web for articles and decklist

Strahl

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 08:53:09 am »
You should check out my green/black deck, I think you'll find some good ideas and inspiration there. At a glance, you should definitely add deadly recluse. A great little card that's cheap that will block fliers and kill anything it touches.

In my deck, the theme is basically deathtouch and forcing opponents creatures to battle mine with cards like lure and prey upon. This works great for my deck but you seem to be going in a bigger creatures direction which can work really well with black. First decide which colour will play the supporting role. It appears that your deck is mostly green with black as a support. Black compliments green very well because you can use black to clear the field with cards like doom blade, making way for your bigger creatures. I'd also look into Kalonian tusker.

All in all it's a great start, you just need to fine tune it and settle on a strategy or two that your deck will be able to consistently rely on!

KodoHunter

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 08:16:11 am »
Thanks for the replies!

Updated the deck, added Deadly Recluse and several Borderland Rangers.
I gotta see if I could get my hands on Kalonian Tuskers, they'd have a place here.