deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Newbie (w/ Origins deck)  (Read 886 times)

Felischa

• Decks
Newbie (w/ Origins deck)
« on: August 27, 2015, 09:16:55 pm »
Hey guys, newbie here.
Really getting into MTG and so far have purchased a ton of cards from the Origins decks. Still trying to get the hang of it. Feeling out which color suits me best. Started with a white/black deck and thought about trying a black/green deck. Was doing well with my first deck against a blue deck and now I can't keep up with ether decks against a red deck.
Again, we are both playing with just Origins.
Looking for any guidance, tips, tricks or any help at all. I really enjoy playing, but getting beat all the time is putting a damper on things. Not going to give up, but I don't want to waste all my time trying to build a perfect deck when I'm not even sure how. Love to get some feedback!  Thanks in advance!
Bye Felischa!

RaneShines

• Decks
Re: Newbie (w/ Origins deck)
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 11:22:26 pm »
I found that starting out building a mono colored deck at first really helped me. Also picking a concept for the deck before actually putting one together. I usually can explain what my deck is/ does in a sentence or 2. By choosing 1 or 2 concepts you learn how cards work together and deck symmetry. I also always look up what other people do with the same concepts and ideas I have and sort of go from there. Hope that helped a little!

George B

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 11:24:26 pm »
make sure you have enough mana to play your creatures and stick to a 60 card deck.  I play with 22 to 24 lands.  you can play a theme like renown, or prowess, or with white/black a warrior deck in standard.  if your just playing origins try a green/black elf deck or a white/green renown deck.  Good luck hope I was helpful

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 04:58:57 pm »
Hello Felischa i just wanted to say welcome to this new game that is sure to bring you excitement and fun. As an introduction magic is based off a multi-verse so there are many dimensions with their own worlds (that what each set focuses on). There are set rotations for which sets can be used in tournaments but if you play MODERN then you can play casually and in modern tournaments that go as far back as the original mirrodin block. The interesting thing about origins is that it focuses on certain individuals however they came from many worlds. Don't give up because sometimes we have to be beaten a few times in order to learn new ways to advance our games. Every match is an opportunity to learn more from how other people think and play. As a major tip look at the Theros, Innistrad, and Zendikar blocks on the main magic the gathering website. You can learn more through the world synopsis of each plane and also look into the card set archive so that you can look through magic's history. Also once you learn the set and how the cards are supposed to interact together than deck building and playing becomes a lot easier. If you need any further assistance then I will be more than glad to assist you. Once again, welcome to Magic the gathering. 

Drunk Cynic

• Abusing the Terrible and Neglected
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2015, 01:17:44 pm »
With only Origins cards facing only Origins cards.

Limit the deck to 60 cards. 23 lands, 37 non lands. Of those 37 non lands, use about 20 creatures and 17 non creature spells.

Of those 37 non lands, stack them by their converted mana cost. Your goal point is an average converted mana cost of 2.5. Starting out, use either a monocolored deck or two colors. The allied pairs, those touching on the color wheel on the back of the card, are easier to pair than the opposed.

Once you've met the above, look at the cards you've chosen versus what remains. Is there a coherent theme: fast creatures and damage to the face, control with a few trump cards, beat sticks waiting on mana ramp, etc? Keep you're average mana cost down.
Perpetual Johnny. Interactions and originality are preferable to winning, though winning doesn't hurt.
If I throw statistics at you, they likely came from:
http://stattrek.com/online-calculator/hypergeometric.aspx