deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Casual] Gideon's Renown (opinions please!)  (Read 589 times)

Stack

• Decks
[Casual] Gideon's Renown (opinions please!)
« on: August 29, 2015, 03:18:44 pm »
Here is a deck I'm close to finishing. I'm new to the game, and this is based on the 'Brave the Battle' pack with adjustments recommended by a couple of websites.

My friend and I play with a rule which states your deck may contain no more than two of each card (excluding basic lands). We do this because we play together a lot and it keeps the games varied even thought we repeatedly play with the same few decks (Has anyone else tried this? It seems to work pretty well. Not sure if there's a name for it?).

It's currently over 60 cards. I should cut a few really, but not sure what to lose, if anything at all.

Keen for any advice and comments.

Thanks a million.

Gideon's Renown
No more than two of each non-basic land
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 04:56:31 pm by Stack »

WiseGuy57

• Decks
Re: [Casual] Gideon's Renown (opinions please!)
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 09:11:42 am »
Interesting house rules - they'll certainly add to variance.

You have relatively little removal. Pacifism was reprinted recently and is efficient. You'll need to watch out for Dromoka's Command, but that's about it. There are plenty of other conditional removal spells to consider in White. Green also gets fight cards - Epic Confrontation is a fairly good one, and also cheap (though Dromoka's Command is almost always better assuming you get your colors).

If there are any two cards I would cut immediately upon looking at this list, it would be Vine Snare and Market Festival. Vine Snare is a conditional Fog card, and such effects are usually run in decks using them as part of a dedicated stall strategy. Market Festival will help fix your mana, and helps to ramp your mana up, but usually you want to be casting powerful spells turn four. It's quite likely the extra mana will go to waste.

Stack

• Decks
Re: [Casual] Gideon's Renown (opinions please!)
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 08:45:24 pm »
I completely see your logic and really appreciate your ideas. I'll certainly give them a try, as you've kindly picked out some very cheap cards!

More removal makes perfect sense in a deck that relies on getting those renown cards through. A pair of Epic Confrontation cards will bolster the existing pair of Dromoka's command.

Thanks so much for your point about Vine Snare. I see now how that's better suited to protecting high-powered attackers against lots of small defenders. Not really right for this deck at all is it? You're right about Market Festival as well.

I think Honor the Pure would be a smart idea.

I'm torn between adding another Gideon's Phalanx and taking it out altogether. Maybe sticking with the one is a good halfway house?