deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Abzan Allies Budget (standard)  (Read 1584 times)

Sgtlightbrite

• Decks
Abzan Allies Budget (standard)
« on: October 04, 2015, 07:01:57 am »
Abzan Allies

The early game is to go aggro with Allies. Gather the pack fills the graveyard and then Rally the Ancestors and/or March from the Tomb return them. Kalestria Healer should trigger some large life swings.

Still figuring out the best combination of allies and sideboard. The sideboard are just a few basic thoughts and nothing set. This whole deck will get revised a lot. I want suggestions. Thanks.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 11:08:06 pm by Sgtlightbrite »

Sgtlightbrite

• Decks
Re: Abzan Allies
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 02:59:15 am »
After some testing I cut down to 22 lands. I was wondering if it's worth it to run a Smoldering Marsh and a Lumbering Falls along with 2 Wooded Foothills. This would permit me to run Unified Front and get the max tokens. Synergizes well with Kalastria Healer. Thoughts?

Drunk Cynic

• Abusing the Terrible and Neglected
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 03:27:38 am »
At first glance, note that Zulaport Cutthroat doesn't care when things get exiled because of Rally the Ancestors.
Perpetual Johnny. Interactions and originality are preferable to winning, though winning doesn't hurt.
If I throw statistics at you, they likely came from:
http://stattrek.com/online-calculator/hypergeometric.aspx

Sgtlightbrite

• Decks
Re: Abzan Allies - Comments
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 03:38:09 am »
Thanks for the input. I've thought about that very thing with Rally. It's main function is to trigger a Kalastria Healer for a 4-5 point life swing to close out a game. It also helps for a big swing with Veteran Warleader. With max abilities.

As for the Zulaport Cutthroat, I've considered cutting them down in the main board and adding a few to the side board for match ups that run board wipes.

Sgtlightbrite

• Decks
Re: Budget Abzan Allies - Comments
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 09:49:55 am »
Decided to make this more budget friendly.

Shirrian

• Dutch MTG enthousiast
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 12:24:12 pm »
You could look into including Collected Company even though it's not that budget friendly it's a beast in the deck (31 creatures and all 3 mana or lower).

Sgtlightbrite

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 05:56:46 pm »
Totally agree. I plan to add Collected Company to my version, but I felt like keeping this one more budget friendly for now.

Sideboard thoughts: I'm thinking a couple copies of Despise Are needed. The deck is bad against fliers and not many ways to interact with them, especially Dragonlord Ojutai. Viable option?

Sgtlightbrite

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 02:20:41 am »
Added Evolutionary Leap. I feel like it's the most budget friendly option for accelerating the creature cycle. Anyone have a lot of experience using Evolutionary Leap? Is my curve low enough to consistently cycle creatures after turn 4?

Shirrian

• Dutch MTG enthousiast
  • Decks
Re: Abzan Allies Budget (standard)
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 07:56:00 am »
As a way to mess with control decks (with fliers) you could always try display of dominance. Its great VS ojutai and great in the match up. I would advice to play Drana, Liberator of Malakir -> she's great VS aggro, pumps the team and is yet another ally. Beastcaller Savant seems poor in the deck. You 'ramp' from 2 to 3 and your curve ends at 3 (as far as creatures are concerned). I would look into replacing it.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 02:34:11 pm by Shirrian »

Sgtlightbrite

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 02:03:18 pm »
I like Display of Dominance. Thanks for the suggestion.

Sgtlightbrite

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 04:28:35 pm »
+1 Drana, Liberator of Malakir. -1 Veteran War Leader.

Not sure if Drana should be more than a 1 or 2 in the deck due to the Legendary status.

Sgtlightbrite

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2015, 04:37:27 pm »
I've seen other builds similar to mine that run a 4 Drana, Liberator of Malakir. Can anyone explain how running more than 2 gets better. I see the power level but you can't get more than one on the battlefield at a time. Just wonder if I'm missing something?

Shirrian

• Dutch MTG enthousiast
  • Decks
Re: Abzan Allies Budget (standard)
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2015, 09:37:04 am »
Drama, Liberator of Malakir is most likely the best creaturen in the deck. It's a card that can win the game on it's own if legt unchecked. Therefore the odds of it being removed are suite high. Therefore you want to have at least 1 every game and a backup isn't too bad either. That's why you want 3-4 imho.