deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Legacy] 2 years of Sliver development  (Read 417 times)

AgntNbr004

• Decks
[Legacy] 2 years of Sliver development
« on: October 09, 2015, 03:11:04 am »
2 years of Sliver development

I've been working on refining this deck for around 2 years now, and I'm finally ready to get some feedback on it!

FIRSTLY:
What might first jump out is that I have 60 completely unique cards, I did this as a personal challenge and because I have 40 cards set aside which (when combined with this) turns this deck into a commander deck.

LANDS:
The next thing is that there are no basic lands. Yes, there are a few basic cards which can instantly screw me over (see Price of Progress, Back to Basics, and Blood Moon), but the risk more than worth the benefit. I have 5 Tap Lands in the hopes to get them out within the first few turns, 4 Shock Lands in case I get a bad draw, and then 5 Refuges and 3 Bounce Lands (when combined can offset the Shock Land). Lastly, any Sliver deck without a Mutavault, Sliver Hive, or Cavern of Souls is just silly.

INSTANTS:
The first one I'll talk about is Manamorphose. This is one of my new favorite cards, if I'm manascrewed it can help fix it, and it effectively drops my deck size down to 59 (or 58?). Eladamri's Call and Congregation at Dawn are obvious just to try and get the perfect draws I need. Disenchant and Counterspell should also be obvious.

SORCERIES:
Green Sun's Zenith lets me play any of my "Green" cards for cost + 1. Not drawing the Manaweft? Want the Overlord/Queen/Hivelord? Done. Exhume is just a cheap way to get my annoying guys back. Yes it also lets them do it, but it'll most likely be in their graveyard because it died trying to stop me from killing them. I don't mind. Unless its Eldrazi. Eff that.

ENCHANTMENTS:
Defense of the Heart! Woohoo! By the time I have 4 mana out, my opponent will most likely already have 3 or more creatures out. Hello free Overlord and (Hivelord/Crystalline/Manaweft). Training grounds is the upgrade to the classic Heartstone, and yes, this deck has the infinite combo. Engineered Plague can be taken out, but in the off-chance I'm playing a theme deck (which typically are the best at beating Slivers), it can really screw them over. Descendants Path works like a charm with Mutavault and makes me feel happy thinking about getting it out.

ARTIFACTS:
The Aether Vial should be obvious for playing slivers on my opponents turn. I'd probably just leave it at 2 counters unless something REALLY awesome came along. The Door of Destinies is a little expensive, but it's pretty much another Sliver Legion that kill spells won't work on.

CREATURES:
The obvious ones are : Crystalline (shroud), Galerider (flying), Heart (haste), Horned  (trample), Manaweft (mana), Steelform (health), Predatory (+1), Sinew (+1), Might (+2), Megantic (+3), Sentinel (vigilance), Shifting (unblockable), Hivelord (indestructable), Legion (hahaha), Overlord (search), and Queen, Striking (first strike), Syphon (lifelink), and Venom (deathtouch).

I have doubles of the important ones, even though the effects don't stack : Winged, Blur, Gemhide.

The un-obvious ones : Quilled (death plink when Venom is out), Basal (infinite combo), Darkheart (emergency lifegain - if training grounds / queen is out, chump block and sac to gain life), Diffusion (In case I don't get the Crystalline out and have already used my Counterspell / want to save it), and Frenetic is a great way to have fun gambling to save my guys in case of a random Lightning Bolt.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 04:08:42 am by AgntNbr004 »

Shirrian

• Dutch MTG enthousiast
  • Decks
Re: [Legacy] 2 years of Sliver development
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 09:52:17 am »
Hello there!

The deck looks like a lot of fun to play!

However I have some questions:
1) Is the deck competitive? If so, how does it fair against the combo decks in legacy (OmniShow, Infect, Storm, the tempo decks like delver/pyromancer and the control decks like miracles?

2) Is this a budget deck? Because since this is legacy you can play original duals. Those make the mana much more smooth when combined with fetches. \
I always feel like the bounce lands are super feel bad in an aggro-ish deck. Wouldn't you want to fill the deck with either shocks, fetches, battle lands or duals?

3) Do you ever have removal problems? In legacy abrupt decay and swords to plowshares are prime removal.

4) Do you ever have speed problems? Some of the 5 drop slivers seem to slow in an aggro-ish deck. You could streamline the deck do be more aggro and less combo-y.

Either way I love the fact that you have build a deck that only has one of each card in it and that it's Slivers :D