deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Standard] [Blue/White] Skywise Transcendent (Control) - Advice Welcome  (Read 625 times)

Bane2k4

• Decks
[Blue/White] Skywise Transcendent (Control)

- A bit of background on me -

I've only been playing MTG for around a month now, but am immensely enjoying it. I've played numerous TCGs before, including Hearthstone, who's core mechanics were largely inspired by, and have distinct parallels with many things in MTG, so I've picked it up the core play and several card interactions pretty quickly. I'm still learning some interactions, and I'm still building up my knowledge of the decks out there and what they do, and I've only played Blue/White Control so far. I certainly don't profess to be a master at this game.

I knew going in that Blue was going to be the colour for me, as I knew that it was a Controller that fits my playstyle; friends who play Magic (and made my first deck for me) put me on to Blue/White and I've loved it from day 1. As with all TCGs, I like to get into deck teching early, as it's one of my favourite aspects.

- About the Deck -

This is my first attempt at building a Blue/White Control, and I chose to go with a Skywise engine and Thunderclap Wyverns/Soulblade Djinn as my win condition. I chose these as I like the spell interaction with Skywise, and the flying archetype/synergy.

Next in were the core lands: Prairie Streams (because they're awesome), and Tranquil Coves (because they're a bit less awesome, but still great and provides a good way to even out mana) were both added in at 4. I also added in 2 Blighted Steppe's, because the heal synergy with a good Skywise is incredible, and the colourless mana is always useful.

Next in were control spells,.Clash of Wills is my favourite counterspell, as, with my playstyle, its easy to pull off a guaranteed counterspell at any point of the game, and often you can get it dirt cheap; naturally, a playset.

Ojutai's Command is a card I love for its utility. I often find myself taking the creature counter and the card draw, but the 4 health has saved me several times, and even the 2 drop resurrect has had it's moments. Great defensive synergy with Skywise.

I like having 1 Dispel, just for that clutch save, when they try to counter your play with an instant. I think it's too narrow a focus to run more than 1 of.

For creature removal, I've been running Suspension Field and Pacifism to great effect at my local, and I'm essentially upgrading them with Zendikar to Quarantine Fields and Stasis Snares. I also like Swift Reckoning for it's synergy with the tap spells I'm running, doubly so with Narset.

Speaking of, 2 Rush of Ice and 2 Send to Sleep: these are here for their lockdown potential, synergy with Narset, and the aforementioned synergy with Swift Reckoning. I currently only run Send to Sleep, but have got a lot of great use out of it, so am looking forward to getting the rest.

Then there's 2 Healing Hands - I currently run 4 and love them, but think they can be trimmed safely down to 2 given what else I want in the deck. Invaluable heal and draw engine that has synergy with both Skywise and Narset - what more can I say?

With Zendikar, comes Encircling Fissure. I see no reason to not run this in a deck like this, giving me invaluable defensive and stall capabilities  especially if I'm not drawing into my engines. I also enjoy it in multiplayer, which I play a fair bit at the local!

Another defensive/stall card I really like is Hydrolash - I come across a fair number of weenie rush decks that this shines against, as well as the likes of Ally decks, whom this severely blunts for a turn. The card draw is the icing on the cake, as I knew I wanted a solid engine draw...

...which brings me on to Palace Familiars. Man do I love these guys; 2 drop 1/1 with flying synergy that draws a card on death? What's not to love!? Playset for sure - especially as I have to at least put some actual creatures in there for potential stall so as not to 100% rely on an early Skywise.

My favourite draw engine is next: Treasure Cruise! With no graveyard interactions in the deck, the exile is easy to meet, making it an unparalleled hand refueller; add in Narset, and you can colour me happy.

A wildcard I want to try out is 1 Talent of the Telepath; I know this isn't a mill deck, but it's not the milling I'm interested in (though it's large enough to impact them on it's own) - it's the synergy with both Skywise (free spell spam) and Narset for free rebound play. Combos galore.

Finally (well, near enough), I knew I wanted a Planeswalker in, and Narset Transcendent was the clear and obvious choice given all the aforementioned synergies - most notably (for me), the -2 rebound combos. The +1 acceleration is also great, and the -9 Emblem (when pulled off, which I appreciate isn't easy) is crazy good.

Finally finally, that left 12 slots for Basic Lands, and I've admittedly gone against the advice of my much more knowledgeable friend by not balancing it - 7 Islands, 5 Plains. I'm not saying he's wrong, but I want to try it like this, with just a slight imbalance to represent the skew in colour in the deck, and efficiency maintained via the 8 dual-colour (and to a certain extent, the Blighted Steppes).

Feel free to point out anything I'm missing, or anything you think I could do to improve, or even that my deck sucks - that's fine, as I said, I've just started, I don't expect to get it straight outta the gates. Hopefully, there's at least potential to work with here, and if anyone has any feedback on it, awesome and thank you in advance!
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 10:06:23 pm by Bane2k4 »

judedudemude

• Ach! Hans, run! It's Jude!
    • Captain Azazel Vii Backwards, the Jude dude in a mude himself
  • Decks
Re: Blue/White Skywise Transcendent (Control) - Comments
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 10:19:26 pm »
O-Ring and pacifism are good for white while running a play set of mana leak and rune snag can be quite entertaining (for you, at least)

Bane2k4

• Decks
Re: [Standard] [Blue/White] Skywise Transcendent (Control) - Advice Welcome
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 11:23:14 pm »
Cool, I'll take a look at those, thanks :D

Bane2k4

• Decks
Re: [Standard] [Blue/White] Skywise Transcendent (Control) - Advice Welcome
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 11:50:57 pm »
Not actually sure what O-ring is haha but mana leak and rune snag are modern and I meant to say this deck is for standard sorry :( though they do look like exactly my type of card so if I'm ever playing modern (which some times the guys do) I can make a Modern variant of this deck! Thanks :D