deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Standard] Esper Flare  (Read 1258 times)

nevaehph

• Decks
[Standard] Esper Flare
« on: October 13, 2015, 08:18:04 pm »
Esper Flare

The strategy of this deck is to constantly dig the libary using Monastery Siege and Artificer's Ephiphany, pitching expensive creatures like Emeria Shepherd, whilst playing a control game with counterspells and removal.

After that, we will cast Necromantic Summons bringing back Emeria Shepherd, which will either Reclaim or play all the non-land permanents from our graveyard, either grinding the opponent to death by constantly recurring answers like stasis trap and planeswalkers or finishing the opponent with a big bomb like Ulamog.

XxVincentVxX

• Me Mow :3
  • Decks
Re: [Standard] Esper Flare
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 10:18:46 pm »
Ha! I Love the sound of this deck. Being my favorite shard colors, Esper always seems to be one of the coolest
and most fun decks to play. This deck is no exception not only is it reanimater-esc you are controlling the game
most of the time with counters and exile, not to mention the whole Emeria Shepherd thing thats pretty funny.

I think this deck has a good potential :)
"If every Porkchop were perfect, we wouldn't have Hot Dogs!!"

Max Core

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 12:35:54 am »
I just still prefer End Hostilities instead of Planar Outburst because it hits lands which are creatures ;)

XxVincentVxX

• Me Mow :3
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2015, 01:05:26 am »
I just still prefer End Hostilities instead of Planar Outburst because it hits lands which are creatures ;)

Thats assuming that the other player is playing awaken cards or man lands, and even so if you were to
us planar outburst and awaken it say against a deck that doesn't play awaken then you get a 4/4 with haste
that can swing for at the least 2 turns before they get some sort of answer.

BUT I will say End Hostilites is a great card to side in or out for Planar Outburst for whatever
situation that its needed for just in case :)
"If every Porkchop were perfect, we wouldn't have Hot Dogs!!"

nevaehph

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2015, 06:37:21 am »
Yea i like planar outburst for the fact that it could make a shambling vent a potential 6/7 as an alternate wincon or just a way to stabilize. Thats also one of the reason I play Ruinous Path.

I am currently considering switching out clash of wills for Scatter the Wind for the same reason as above and also being a hard counter for everything. Im currently nt sure of how to build up the sideboard so I would like some input on that. :D

nevaehph

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2015, 01:46:30 pm »
Updated with Maybeboard and a more updated description regarding card considerations. Do help me improve on the deck as I do believe this deck has potential. Thank you so much. :D

Shirrian

• Dutch MTG enthousiast
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2015, 04:37:24 pm »
You're talking about Scatter to the Winds in your deck desciption, yet I don't see it in the deck it self. It seems to me that this card is the best counterspell in Standard at the moment, so I would include it over either Clash of Wills and Horrible Awry.

If you ever dare to include green you could play more mana ramp/fixing('Battle' Lands, Fetches, Nissa, Vastwood Seer, Nissa's Renewal) and include sultai ascendancy, Bring to Light and Sultai Charm.]

The deck seems very sweet, however it might have trouble winning vs control (if they counter key cards, such as Necromantic Summons or a planeswalker). I would look into either being more resilient vs control or have a strong sideboard plan vs it.

nevaehph

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 05:09:00 pm »
You're talking about Scatter to the Winds in your deck desciption, yet I don't see it in the deck it self. It seems to me that this card is the best counterspell in Standard at the moment, so I would include it over either Clash of Wills and Horrible Awry.

If you ever dare to include green you could play more mana ramp/fixing('Battle' Lands, Fetches, Nissa, Vastwood Seer, Nissa's Renewal) and include sultai ascendancy, Bring to Light and Sultai Charm.]

The deck seems very sweet, however it might have trouble winning vs control (if they counter key cards, such as Necromantic Summons or a planeswalker). I would look into either being more resilient vs control or have a strong sideboard plan vs it.

Scatter to the Winds is at the Maybeboard currently, I think I will replace Clash of Wills for them. Horribly Awry I feel is a good 2 mana counterspell that hits alot of relevant creatures that are currently in Standard, though I could not deny the power of a catch-all counterspell. Perhaps a 3/3 or 2/4 split with Scatter to the Winds taking higher precedence? If so, I might have to change up the removal package to suit up for early game. What are your thoughts?

Originally I wanted to include green but could not find a good mana balance, so I was thinking on focusing 3 colors instead for now, though I do like the idea of Nissa, Vastwood Seer as a 1 to 2 of. Although I do find Monastery Siege to be a much better Sultai Ascendancy  with a strictly better mana requirement and serves almost the same function. Bring to Light could be interesting but what good 4 mana creature, instant or sorcery can I bring up? Siege Rhino comes into my mind, but can I reliably cast it turn 4 should it be in my hand?

Yea I agree about the control matchup, I was thinking along the lines of scrapping Reanimation to a more controlling build in the sideboard with Dispels and Negates alongside resilient threats like Dragonlord Dromoka (if splashing green) with additional CAs like Dig Through Time.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 05:15:56 pm by nevaehph »

nevaehph

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2015, 04:08:03 am »
Managed to fire up Cockatrice to give the deck a test for a total of 3 games. So far what I have learnt:

- Tasigur, the Golden Fang is quite a powerhouse in this deck, the key is to land him with mana up for removal or counterspell which is not difficult to do on turn 4-5 alongside Horribly Awry provided I drew it early. Considering upping him to 2.

- I did not have a chance to play or reanimate Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger, but there are times that the hand was quite tight for answers that if I happen to draw Ulamog it would lead to an instant lose, but the constant card draw from Artificer's Epiphany and Monastery Siege helps. I will not remove him from the mainboard for now, but he is almost getting the axe imo.

- Monastery Siege on turn 3 is a powerful play for us, constantly fine-tuning our hand effectively. I played a super-grindy game against a 4-color Superfriends deck that plays Sorin, Gideon and Ob Nixilis where Monastery Siege really helped smooth out the late game very well, helping me find the Ruinous Path and counterspells I need to close the game. Considering making a 3/3 split with Artificer's Epiphany as I really want to play it as soon as possible.

- Aggro match-up is really dependent on whether I can draw out a Languish or Planar Outburst by turn 4 or 5. If I am in good shape at around turn 6-7 I should be able to turn the game around.

- I got inputs to put Arashin Cleric and Silkwrap into the deck which I feel is very good against an aggro matchup. Im thinking of putting into the maybeboard first as I am not really sure of where to put them. Silkwrap though could replace Reave Soul as it is a much better card in this deck.

Thank you guys for the inputs. :D
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 05:38:19 am by nevaehph »

nevaehph

• Decks
Re: Esper Flare - Comments
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2015, 05:49:15 am »
Currently updated with a sideboard and some changes to the mainboard. Would like some inputs on them. :D