deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Back to mtg since 1997  (Read 1537 times)

Nario

• Decks
Back to mtg since 1997
« on: November 12, 2015, 02:21:12 pm »
So this is what I came up with after reading and looking at other decks. It is a fresh start using a deck builders toolkit. Help will be greatly appreciated. Like I said in the description, its a creature growth to power and defend.

http://deckstats.net/decks/51835/361303-first-ever-deck

tocuc

• Decks
Re: First ever deck - Comments
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 02:50:18 pm »
Since your running only 2 enchantments, I don't know if Herald of the Pantheon is that synergistic in your deck, I'd try maybe an Enduring Scalelord or a Solidarity of Heroes, but those are only two options, there are many more cards you could put in, but this is only my suggestion, if you'd like to keep Herald in there, do it.

tocuc

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 02:52:12 pm »
Also, just saying, but a Phytohydra would be pretty nasty in this deck

Nario

• Decks
Re: Back to mtg since 1997
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 03:45:51 pm »
Tocuc thank you. I dont have the cards you mentioned, but I will look to see if I have something similar and swap it for Herald of the Pantheon.

One thing I have noticed is I have one maybe two of each card, and looking at other decks they tend to have three or more of the same. I guess once I get this deck going and get more cards it will iron out.

matothias

• THUG LIFE
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 03:57:16 pm »
it seems that you've got what it takes to make some pretty good decks, keep on building!

Soullarva

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 05:25:35 pm »
So from first glance there are a few suggestions I would make. It seems like you have a fair mount of +1/+1 counter stuff going on. If you don't mind this deck being modern instead of standard, I would recommend looking at some of the Simic (Simic is blue/green) cards from the Gatecrash and Dragon's Maze sets. I have a simic deck on here you would be welcome to look through. Adding some blue to the deck wouldn't be a bad idea, but you don't have to. There are plenty of great green Simic spells. Two cards in particular you might want are Death's Presence and Kalonian Hydra. Death's Presence helps give +1/+1 counters and both of them help cultivate +1/+1 counters. The only thing is Kalonian Hydra is a bit pricy and it looks like you've budgeted your deck. Also, I might add some mana ramp if I were you, some elves that tap for green mana like Elvish Mystic and a few Avacyn's Pilgrims. Sorry if you're trying to keep this standard. I usually play modern and am not that familiar with new cards till they've all dropped in price and I can buy singles, lol. Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions.

Soullarva

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 05:32:07 pm »
I also have a Selesnya deck (green/white) you could look at, forgot I had put it on here. It's alsp pretty budgeted, too. So that's nice.

Nario

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 08:45:42 pm »
For what I understand mana ramp to be I can add another Leaf Gilder to make it 3, and add 1 or 2 Whisperer of the Wilds. I do have 1 Mage-Ring Network, but not too sure how it works.

Mythdrannor

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2015, 09:55:05 pm »
Not a bad starting deck! It's low budget which is nice and you have a number of low cost creatures. You could tidy it up a bit to give it a bit more synchronicity. Add a couple of dual mana lands like Blooming Sands, which isn't expensive or Windswept Heath (more expensive).
Some of your Instant spells are a little expensive, you can get around that by adding low cost spells like Earthen Arms. I have a counter deck you might look at to get some examples of how you can blend them together.
If you wanted to play Standard all you would need to do is substitute 2 cards. Hero's Bane and Akroan Mastiff. You could do that by adding another Managorger Hydra in place of Hero's Bane and Something like Frontier Mastodon for the Akroan Mastiff. (Currently: Standard= Origins/Battle for Zendikar/Khan's of Takir/Fate Regorged/Dragons of Takir)

itscraigwells

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2015, 10:05:07 pm »
i would suggest that you throw some lower costing things in there. and also i would have more cards that are the same so you can get a theme that syncs well and it makes it more likly you will pull those combos. i.e. managorger hydra and hardening scales. you would want to put all 8 or a play set of each in there to bring up the chance you pull that amazing combo.
One does not simply turn 2 ulamog

Nario

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 10:41:34 pm »

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 12:26:24 am »
This looks like a pretty nice deck. I do have a few suggestions for you that may be of some benefit. Whenever I build a deck i always focus on the creatures first. This is because no matter what spells you may cast a creature will always be a vital tool capable of attack, defense, and battle tactics & effects. Some of your creatures have great abilities but you might want to trim some out in exchange for multiples of others. For example, blessed spirit has a good effect but you only have two enchantments in your deck. It's a good card but it'll slow your deck down because you'll be waiting to draw those two enchantments from your entire deck just to make a 2/2 into a possible 4/4. It'd make you a sitting duck.
    Next is the theme that the deck is taking. The renowned creatures are excellent choices and they would work well with any exalted cards you may come across (exalted= when only one creature attacks that creature gains +1/+1 for every exalted creature that you control). This way a single creature such as your rhox maulers who already has trample can go from being a 4/4 to being a 7/7 ( if you have 3 exalted creatures on your side of the field when it attacks). Then once it deals it's damage it'll gain it's two +1/+1 counters and by the end of the turn your rhox maulers will be a 6/6. This combination can work with any of your renowned creatures. The exalted creatures mostly came from the SHARDS OF ALARA block and would be an excellent choice if you wanted to make a modern deck.
     Lastly are the spells that you'll be casting during the duration of the match. The big downfall of creature decks is the limited protection that is offered as the creatures battle with the enemy. Adding cards such as ranger's guile, rootborn defenses, and display of dominance are good additions to this deck because they provide protection for your creatures and also from other colors. Also if you wanted to stick to using the creatures and spells that make tokens the cards from the guild known as the  Selesnya Conclave (From the Return to Ravnica block) are excellent at making copies of tokens and playing cards that have a large scale effect on the creatures you play. 

Nario

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 01:53:12 am »
Well here is the latest edit to my first deck. So far like where it is going.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 04:33:58 am »
looking for stuff on the newer sets , 2 enduring scalelord, they basically put infinite counters on themselves and to boot its an uncommon . reap what is sown , inspiring call, ordeal of nylea , scale blessing , patron of valiant , servant of the scale, nature's panoply, elite scaleguard, battlefront krushok, high sentinels of arashin, those for starters
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Malvaro

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 05:44:26 pm »
You may want to consider switching more of your non-land cards to 4 qty to maximize their card-pull probabilities... it should make game-play more consistent from game to game...