deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Standard] bwg allies  (Read 4280 times)

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
Re: [Standard] bwg allies
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2015, 03:39:19 pm »
Well i didn't think i was gonna bring up a new topic but i guess i should mention this;
Consul's Lieutenant is a creature who has a secondary effect, that only works when it becomes renowned. Giving a +1/+1 counter to the creature does not make it renowned, it HAS to deal damage to become renowned, and if it already has a +1/+1 counter on it then it will get another one. So if it's a a 2/1 and you give it a +1/+1 counter then it'll be just a first strike creature sitting at 3/2 WITHOUT RENOWN. Now if that creature then deals damage to the enemy THEN it'll become renowned and THEN it'll get another +1/+1 counter and it'll be a 4/3 WITH its secondary effect. I guess it was silly to ask the deck question but it looks like it brought up another issue.

Actually I am glad you did , for he is right. I apologize and I am sorry. I had to check online for
the ruling, renown works like monstorous. Pay first and then something happens. My style of play,
is aggresive as possible, Always wanting something to happen. That's why know most of the
abilities of cards and not the name of the card. In this case now I know renown, thanks to you
people. So drana and consol on the field attacking together makes for a good combo of attackers.
Especially when facing a mantis rider, which of the 2 creatures I mentioned will my opponent block?
But here is another question for you in regards to this scenario. I attack with those 2 creatures, I
get blocked with mantis rider on consol. Drana's and consol get first strike. Drana deals damage
to my opponent and consol deals damage to mantis rider. Now drana's ability goes off giving
my creatures +1 +1 counter. Then normal combat damage happens. Mantis Rider who is a 3/3
does 3 damage to consol. Does consol do 1 damage because of recieved counter from drana?
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2015, 07:00:48 pm »
Most likely (And this is what I would do) he'd block consul's lieutenant because Drana, liberator of malikar only gives your creatures the power boost IF SHE deals damage successfully. If consul is able to deal damage even once (say for instance by a trample effect) then your creatures will get +1/+1 stronger EVERY TIME they attack regardless of whether they all deal damage or not. So with drana; creatures get stronger AFTER SHE deals damage. with consul; creatures get stronger even if he doesn't deal damage (but only AFTER he becomes renowned).

Now looking at your scenario this is what I gathered (and I'm making the best out of this tricky situation so bare with me on this);
     Drana, Liberator of Malakir (2/3) and Consul's Lieutenant (2/1) are attacking (they both naturally have first strike) and Mantis rider (3/3) blocks Consul.
      Now if the damage goes on the stack (or in the order that I believe first strike damage goes) since it gives an extra combat step for those with FIRST STRIKE or DOUBLE STRIKE, both your creatures would hit at the same time and not one after the other, then the mantis will deal its damage to your lieutenant.
      Since drana dealt damage, drana would become (3/4) the consul's lieutenant would get a +1/+1 counter so he'd be (3/2). But since he already did his two points of damage, mantis rider would still have 1 toughness left and would hit (because both the first strike effects happened at the same time and not one after the other) the extra 1 point of attack strength that the Consul's L receives won't be applied to any new damage for that phase.
      So at the end of all that; Drana will be a (3/4) with first strike, the mantis would be alive (because he only received 2 points of damage and not 3), and the Consul's L would be dead because it only had 2 toughness (since he received the +1/+1 counter from Drana). Does this help clear things up?

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 05:48:31 pm »
Updated again , going with my very first thought to make this. Use this combo and try to build around it.
Have retreat to kanzandu on the field, slab hammer equipped to creature, play sandstone bridge, attack
with creature, play swell of growth, and replay sandstone bridge.

Example: 1/1 creature gets + 1 + 1 and vigilance from land of sandstone bridge. Making it a 2/2, now
landfall trigger of a + 1 + 1 counter making it now a 3/3. Attack and swing using slab hammer, using
hammer's ability, return land. Return sandstone bridge , making creature a 5/5 , hammer gives
creature +2 +2. Play swell of growth which is another +2 +2 , making creature 7/7. Swell of
growth also allows me to play a land. Replay sandstone bridge, another +1 +1 , making
creature 8/8, along with another land trigger, up to a 9/9. Now with retreat to emeria on the field as
well that creature could become an 11/11 with vigilance. 2-3 creatures on the field and what creatures are blocking,
all the creatures you have can change. Play swell of growth on another creature. give 2 counters on
another, ect..

With the other fetch lands, this works as well. All in the timing. Biggest issue I keep seeing, is how to
start this whole ball rolling, I have the allies to complement, just need a way to get that push to get going.
I am thinking possibly blisterpod?

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 06:14:20 pm »
Are you referring to actually getting your mana or just actually getting creatures and spells into play? Because if the mana build up is what you want then you could play cards like seek the horizon to add three lands to your hand and then play the swell of growth to drop them every turn. Then is you play restore you can add that same card seek the horizon back on top of your deck and you can play it next turn. This would lead to some fast deck thinning to get the spells and creatures you need.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2015, 04:40:35 pm »
Are you referring to actually getting your mana or just actually getting creatures and spells into play? Because if the mana build up is what you want then you could play cards like seek the horizon to add three lands to your hand and then play the swell of growth to drop them every turn. Then is you play restore you can add that same card seek the horizon back on top of your deck and you can play it next turn. This would lead to some fast deck thinning to get the spells and creatures you need.

Great idea, but I went a difrrent route, put in 3 servant of the scale for sword of the animist and the 2 grovetender druids. Going tonight ti FNM and test it. I do hope someone can come up with more use in a deck using the slab hammer combo
better than I did. Now time to work on my EDH deck. Thanks everyone for thier help and input.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2015, 05:39:28 pm »
No problem. Last ideas for the deck; retreat to kazandu, hunt the weak, earthen arms, dragonscale boon. What these things all have in common?.....+1/+1 counters and secondary effects for combat tricks. Best of luck to you man.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2015, 10:15:04 pm »
No problem. Last ideas for the deck; retreat to kazandu, hunt the weak, earthen arms, dragonscale boon. What these things all have in common?.....+1/+1 counters and secondary effects for combat tricks. Best of luck to you man.

Thanks but I have an old heroic, outlast deck I can change if need be :)

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2015, 04:22:52 am »
In the midst of pulling a gideon from a pack today, I dropped a swamp and put him in.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2015, 04:53:41 am »
As long as you have dual lands and evolving wilds you'll be good.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
Re: Allied Army - Comments
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2015, 06:27:33 pm »
More changes, traded out drana for undergrowth champion, added some more fetch for triggers, and dropped 2 knights for lantern scout. Hopefully this should do it

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2015, 05:23:23 am »
     So now it's basically a Selesnya (G/W) Ally deck. Would you consider token making using grovetender druids or veteran warleader?  They'd work well in this deck if you start pumping out kor tokens. Also if you add reclaim then you can recycle ANY card in your graveyard back into your deck (this includes planeswalkers). My only question at this point is why did you remove the black?

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2015, 07:21:49 pm »
     So now it's basically a Selesnya (G/W) Ally deck. Would you consider token making using grovetender druids or veteran warleader?  They'd work well in this deck if you start pumping out kor tokens. Also if you add reclaim then you can recycle ANY card in your graveyard back into your deck (this includes planeswalkers). My only question at this point is why did you remove the black?
I don't have any vetren warleaders, possibly add 2 grovetender druids. The black was trying to get lieutenant and drana on the field on turn 2 and 3.Not impossible but the synergy with lands made it difficult. I have other green/white lands to make it more synergetic if need be. Not everything was completely balanced.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2015, 09:48:18 am »
     I understand. If you choose to take the token route then make sure you have enough defenses. The thing about token decks is that they are usually slow to moderate speed depending on the build of the deck. Knowing this you'll need creatures and spells to stave off attacks from the enemy long enough to accumulate your forces. Did you have any strategies planned for the deck or any crazy ideas that you think no one has tried yet?

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2015, 09:56:41 am »
Also adding plated crusher  would give you something to do with all of that extra mana from the land drops. If token making is or is not your area of forte then try adding spells for combat tricks such as tandem tactics, encircling fissure and sheer drop. Also if you did want to reconsider adding some black to this deck you could always add shadows of the past and bone splinters, that way they'll be LOW drop spells that won't throw off the balance of the deck.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
Re: Allied Army - Comments
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2015, 06:54:50 pm »
You ask for a finisher and possible combo. Added 3 Enduring Scalelord to it, figure 2 of those on the field at the same time and things can go nuts. Play a land with kanzandu on the field, 2 dragons with infinate power and toughness. Add lantern scout and emeria gives infinate life. Possibilities are endless even with one on the field . Renamed it to allied army, sideboarded so far gideon's reproach and stasis snare.