deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Deck builder tool kit, fat pack and boosters  (Read 971 times)

Nario

• Decks
Deck builder tool kit, fat pack and boosters
« on: November 25, 2015, 10:24:53 pm »
I wanted to see what others thought about this. When building decks should someone concentrate on buying singles? Would this be the most economical way to go about it? I started out buying the Origins deck builder tool kit and fat pack. Then went out and added a good amount of boosters from other blocks. What I have experienced is the synergy within a deck is hard to come by this way and you end up with a lot of "unusable" cards. The starter decks could be another option as well I guess, but I feel they take the personality out of building your own deck. I haven't been in and around MTG long enough to engage in trading yet. So this could offer yet another avenue to acquisition. I do find buying boosters to be enjoyable with the random chance of getting a great card, I must be a gambler at heart. What I don't want is to have mountains of cards sitting around and neglected, they haven't done anything wrong. So what are your thoughts?

PS I think I may have answered my own question while writing this :o           

fatcolin123

• Decks
Re: Deck builder tool kit, fat pack and boosters
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 11:12:38 pm »
Yeah, the best way to build a deck would be to decide upon the kind of deck you want and then do the research for the cards. Buying singles can be cheaper, especially if the cards you want are spread out in different blocks. Also, I don't recommend fat packs, and instead would buy a booster box (36 packs) if you want to stay in the same block.

Drunk Cynic

• Abusing the Terrible and Neglected
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 12:46:07 am »
If your goal is to build 'a' deck, then it would be cheapest to do it through singles. Research, digital theory craft, then buy your deck list.

Building a collection, or wanting to make multiple decks: Booster packs, in a box form. Typically, two full boxes will get you a play set of commons and uncommons, and a smattering of the rares and mythic rares. I only bought a Fat pack from BFZ because of the lands, though only because the LGS near by sold it at MSRP.

I've got a wealth of cards in binders, because I like being able to build a vast variety of decks at the same time, dancing all over the color wheel.
Perpetual Johnny. Interactions and originality are preferable to winning, though winning doesn't hurt.
If I throw statistics at you, they likely came from:
http://stattrek.com/online-calculator/hypergeometric.aspx

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 07:28:49 am »
I agree with drunk cynic, buy singles and then get the booster boxes or fat packs if you want to trade with friends or build multiple decks. I had went half and half on one box and bought another whole booster box of BFZ by myself and i have enough cards to build 12- 14 different decks (I already have 8 of them constructed). For example, when the new SHADOWS OVER INNISTRAD block comes out in APRIL i'm probably gonna buy a booster box with friends (simply because it's a great set and I want to see what new expanses it has). But before I do so i'm gonna see what cards the set actually has available on the card database/ card archive so i know what to expect and what to look for when i DO buy that new set. Just to give you an idea of better card buying methods. I learned the hard way from playing yugioh that investing heavily in booster packs is not the best way if you want to build cohesive decks. Look for bulk cards when they're cheap (most of my stores sell commons 10 for $1) and build your decks from those. It'll help you in the long run.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 05:26:19 pm »
If you want to stay in the loop, then stick with the current battle for zendikar along with origins. Those
are from the 2 last blocks. The deck builder tool kit is ok if you are new or coming back. If not then
don't bother with that. Your other option is Friday Night Magic, or FNM so to speak. This way you
get to meet local players and possibly get together and play casually. You can learn and get good
advice from them. Then of course on FNM , you can do the tournaments. I personally do draft and
on ocassion when I win, I get 4 free booster packs.
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Nario

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 11:37:28 pm »
I enjoy opening packs and seeing what is in it. I haven't bought a booster box yet just because of the price and I haven't seen any in my area. I can get packs though.