deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Deck strategies  (Read 1040 times)

Nario

• Decks
Deck strategies
« on: November 30, 2015, 03:32:32 pm »
Anyone have the knowledge and/or resources for a break down of deck strategies per deck color and color combinations? I would like some type of reference to look at while building decks until I have things memorized.   

Dboe

• Decks
Re: Deck strategies
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 04:39:05 pm »
Here is what I keep in mind when building decks:
Blue: control, card draw
Black: graveyard, discard
Green: mana ramp, large creatures, Elf tokens
Red: burn spells, goblins
White: life gain, exile, balanced boosts, soldier tokens

Drunk Cynic

• Abusing the Terrible and Neglected
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2015, 06:54:00 pm »
Depends, what format are you looking into? That establishes the scope of the answer.
Perpetual Johnny. Interactions and originality are preferable to winning, though winning doesn't hurt.
If I throw statistics at you, they likely came from:
http://stattrek.com/online-calculator/hypergeometric.aspx

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2015, 07:13:18 pm »
     When i started playing magic the gathering i started in the RETURN TO RAVNICA block, it focused on a ten guild  color system where every guild had two of the five colors. When i build my decks across planes (or blocks) I keep the those play styles in mind because their abilities tend to stretch across multiple mechanics.
       http://tappedout.net/mtg-forum/standard/guilds-strenghts-weaknesses-and-play-styles/

Here is a link that i keep concerning the mechanics and the play stlyes about those ten guilds. Once you understand how those color combinations play with each other it'll be easier to notice this across the different card sets that are released in the future. Also keep in mind that the colors themselves have their own personalities and identities. A Black and Red deck from innistrad won' play exactly like a Rakdos deck from Ravnica, but the Red and white humans from Theros sometimes play similar to the Boros (Red/White) guild on Ravnica. Learn first the COLOR IDENTITIES of those combinations then master the MECHANICS of the set you're playing. It'll be a lot easier for you and make deck building more fun.

itscraigwells

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 07:50:27 pm »
i play standard and we have a failry veristile standard right now, it is kinda of expsensive beacuase of the mana. dont be discouraged i would find a play set your going to play ie standard or with just freinds or extended or modern. after you find out what your going to play i would just research the cards. yes there are general things that card sets do but finding the hidden gem is the key to making a great deck and have fund doing it!!! i hope this helps, but when ever in doubt ask moto he knows whats up
One does not simply turn 2 ulamog

matothias

• THUG LIFE
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2015, 07:52:55 pm »
yeah when i first started standard i bought 1000's of cards, then realized it would be less expensive to just research the cards and buy the decklist:) Good luck building:)