deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: no deck ideas  (Read 1143 times)

ddog123123

• Decks
no deck ideas
« on: February 07, 2016, 12:59:16 am »
I try and build decks I am not sure if they are any good and lately I don't have any deck ideas at all i try to make original ideas and then my ideas kinda fall apart i just cannot get passed this bad bottleneck or short coming in deck building im trying to get to pro level deck building but parts of it i cannot so please any tips ideas or help would be appricated.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Re: no deck ideas
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 02:46:27 am »
What type of decks? EDH, standard, modern?

Are you looking for ideas of how to get past the bottleneck, ideas of how other people build, or something someone else thought of for a deck but just hasn't had time to do?
This space for rent.

ddog123123

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 06:04:07 am »
well i build standard and modern i want to know all three things you stated

DelverMage

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 02:10:41 pm »
There are a couple of ways I do this if I don't have any great ideas.

If you have played a draft or sealed event recently, take the deck you used, and now try to improve it using your collection of appropriate cards.

Another thing I do is find a rare or super rare card that you have 3 or 4 of and build around it. 

I have also tried to build a modern version of a successful deck in standard, or other such cross format conversions.

Lastly, a little trick no matter how you build a deck if you are unsure about those last few shots put in singles of a number of potential cards and play the deck a few times to see which ones you find helpful more often.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 04:53:52 pm »
    Usually I find myself with a lot deck ideas and my only challenge is finding the actual cards. But to help you out I'll teach you my method of deck building;

1) Choose a plane in the multiverse to focus on. This will kinda help give your deck a flavor while at the same time giving your deck's overall mechanic a cohesiveness.

2) Choose a theme or concept. You don't have to be a pro deck builder/player to be good at magic, your creativity is usually the "X-Factor" in most duels. Using cards people are familiar with but in unexpected fashions are more often than not the keys to a decisive victory. For example, a lot of people like playing Mono-Green and R/G Hydras, but how often do people build G/U Hydras or Temur (G/U/R) Hydras? Once you choose a concept or style to play your deck in look at ALL the cards from that set to see what would actually make your deck work. This is why I use the Gatherer card search engine on magic the gathering's main page.

3) Choose your colors. Now that you've chosen the world and chosen your theme it's not time to choose your colors. Next to the overall concept of the deck the colors can usually make or break a good deck. However, if you choose correctly and use what you have at your disposal then you'll have a dangerous deck. For example; most people familiar with Innistrad might build a B/R or W/B vampire deck which all play pretty well. However one thing someone might NOT have tried is playing B/G/U or R/B/G vampires using cards from just that plane.

When I say to focus on a specific plane I'm not telling you to always exclude outside cards. I say to focus on primarily one world because different card blocks and sets have their own designed game mechanics and it is easier to pick up on this if your deck is nearly all of those cards. Also it's a great way to give your deck a sturdy foundation BEFORE adding new or different cards to your deck. For instance; Korozda Gorgon is from Return to Ravnica and Howlgeist is from Innistrad. You probably wouldn't see these two together anytime soon but their synergy does serve a purpose. The gorgon eats +1/+1 counters and the wolf can constantly come back from the grave because it has no +1/+1 counter. It's small strategies such as this that are able to make or break decks. I hope that my words of advice can help you on your deck building journey.