deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Newbie Help Please  (Read 1690 times)

maplewinter

• Decks
Newbie Help Please
« on: February 08, 2016, 09:01:53 pm »
Hi!

I am a newbie to the game but have been collecting cards since around November last year. I have lots of cards mainly from zendikar and origins as well as a few others that I have been donated. I would like to start playing but it will only be with friends and my son as I can't get to a FNM for the time being.

The problem I have no idea about building decks at all. I would really appreciate any help, hints or tips to building decks so that I can play games with friends.  All I currently know or have been told is that you should never play more than 2 colours in a deck and that you should have a maximum of 60.

Thanks for your help :)

GeekMagicWarp

• Decks
Re: Newbie Help Please
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 10:19:38 pm »
Well first off while playing more than 2 colors in your deck is definitely more difficult it is far from impossible but considering that this seems to be your first time building a deck I would suggest keeping it simple.
Second you MUST have a MINIMUM of 60 cards not maximum... in fact there is no maximum but it is a good idea to stay as close to 60 as possible for consistency sake. At least in the common formats. Commander aka EDH is a completely different story which I will not go into at this time.

When you start to build a deck the first 2 things you do is decide what you want your deck to do and what colors do those things the best. Basics are as follows:
White = life gain/synergy
Blue =  control/draw spells
Black = destruction/board wipes
Red = haste/damage dealing instants
Green = mana ramp/large creatures

at least that's the first things I think of. All colors have the ability to do all of the things listed above for the most part but not as efficiently as the colors in which they are described.
In a 60 card deck, rule of thumb is that you want 20 lands. pretty much you want 1/3 of your deck to be land.
Be conscious of each cards mana cost. You don't want every card in your deck to require 5+ mana to play. A good even distribution of mana cost is usually the best idea.

If you have any more specific questions just ask.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2016, 11:21:45 pm »
I agree with most of what Geek said.

20 lands is the beginning point, depending on the averaged cmc (converted mana cost) it may go up to 24-26. Play test to see how often you find yourself mana flooded or mana screwed and adjust accordingly. I had a deck during the Theros block that ran great with just 16 lands but it only had a total of 9 cards with a cmc of more than 1 (all 9 cost 2).

Also, I would keep decks to one color (two at absolute most) until you're really comfortable with what you're doing. I would suggest starting with one color (whichever color you prefer based on the descriptions of the colors Geek gave, which I feel are pretty accurate) and build a deck in that color. Fine tune it and then maybe make another deck in the same color. Then I would build a deck in another color and do the same with it. Then maybe build a deck with both those colors.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 03:01:50 am by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

Siryphen

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 03:42:46 am »
While it's true that a deck has no real maximum card limit. It is ruled that the player must be able to shuffle it without help (in tournaments anyway). I have been playing on and off since 1994. I found the easiest way to build a deck is to think of a theme. I doesn't matter it its a creature or game mechanic. Most important is that it is fun for you. My first Deck was based on Royal Assassin and Clone. I thought Blue/Black was fun because it gave me control and death effects. I started with 1 land for every 2 nonland cards. Then 1/3 of the remaining 40 cards would be creatures. The rest I reserved for spells to help my creatures and hinder the other players. Sorry for rambling.... I hope this helps some.

PS... I wish I still had my first deck :'(  Well, the play set of Underground Sea, Badlands and Volcanic Island...

Dringdar

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 04:58:08 am »
The first tip I want to give you is to play something fun. Go through your cards, every single one, and look at them. Find a few that sound or look awesome. For standard, this is most likely going to be a big creature, though it could be anything. Pick a few of these cards. This will be the foundation of your deck, the card or cards you build around.

With this decided, acknowledge their colors, or lack there of. Maybe its a colorless creature like Desolation Twin. Maybe its a white enchantment like Starfield of Nyx. Or a very aggressive red critter like Reckless Bushwacker. Whatever card you choose to build around, our goal is now to make that card work more efficiently. For most cases, this is going to involve casting this card, either at the earliest possible time, or in a way that sets you up to then win the game.

So, as an example deck, lets say you choose Desolation Twin as your build around card. This creature is a 10/10 for ten mana, AND when he enters the battlefield, you put a 10/10 token into play. 10 is a very, very big number in Magic, both in casting cost, and his power and toughness. Because he costs so much mana, you probably won't be casting it very often; assuming you play a land every single turn for ten turns, you still can't put this powerful creature on the table until your tenth turn. As such, you'll turn to ramping spells and abilities.

Ramp is a term to describe acceleration in Magic, and almost exclusively is used to refer to mana. To build around Desolation Twin, you'd want to choose creatures that generate mana, such as Beastcaller Savant, Hedron Crawler, and Warden of Geometries, as well as spells that allow you to put lands into play, cards like Explosive Vegetation and Nissa's Pilgrimage. Each of these cards will allow you to generate mana more quickly than an opponent playing a different style deck. Using these supporting cards, you can deploy your Desolation Twin far earlier; around turn seven or eight with a perfect draw.

However, there's a catch. While throwing every ramp spell imaginable into your deck seems like the fastest and most ideal way to deploy this deck, doing so will put you in an extremely disadvantaged position, because you'd only have four pay off cards. You need additional cards, spells and creatures that will protect you, and weaken or attack your opponents and their creatures.

By adding cards that kill creatures, commonly called removal or answers in Magic slang, one can protect their own life total from enemy creatures, and ensure they have more time to set up their own victory condition. The hypothetical deck idea we're discussing here however has a problem with this. Green as colors go has the weakest removal spells in the entire color pie. As such, we'll be adding a second color.

As mentioned by other uses, the five colors have their own unique strengths and weaknesses. Green is famous for its mana ramp capabilities, its giant and usually undercosted creatures, its mana producing creatures, its weakness against flying creatures, its lack of removal, and specialty at destroying enchantments and artifacts. By supplementing one color with another, you overlap the strengths of each color, and hide some of the weaknesses.

Red: cheap removal, cheap hasty creatures, a focus on aggression and hostility, extremely strong versus artifacts but helpless against enchantments, weak versus big creatures, and vulnerable to running out of resources. Red is the go to color for a player who wants their opponents life total at zero by turn four. It is a common splash choice to access cheap removal spells, though it typically has a poor game plan against creatures with high toughness.

Blue: counter spells, bounce spells, tap spells, card draw spells, blue is excellent at stalling the game and forcing its opponent to play by its rules. It is vulnerable to enchantments and artifacts. Its is typically also vulnerable to enemy creatures, as its removal is second weakest only to green. Blue is a color that is paired with others more than any other, and often plays a defensive game, up until it locks down the situation.

Black: powerful removal spells at varying cost, hand disruption, strong graveyard interaction capabilities, a "power at any cost" mentality and a complete disregard for its own life total. Black is very weak against enchantments and artifacts, but is extremely powerful against creatures. Black decks are capable of attacking aggressively, defending their position, or picking apart their opponent until they can move in for the kill. Black is capability of working alongside any other color, and supplementing its weakness with its powerful removal spells.

White: a synergistic color capable of gaining life, attacking enchantments and sometimes artifacts, it has a healthy variety of creatures, ranging from small weenies as seen in red, to bigger creatures found in green. White is notorious for deploying undercosted cheap creatures, and also for its powerful board wipe effects. White also has relevant removal, though all of it typically with some kind of limitation or weakness. White's biggest weakness is it often runs out of cards in hand as it deploys it cheap creatures, and is then at the mercy of top decking.

Back to the deck construction, mixing your colors with any of the other four is acceptable and capable of being effective. I personally prefer either blue or black. Blue in particular grants counterspells, and black offers potent removal. Either is acceptable. So lets say you add in some black cards for removal; Ultimate Price, Ruinous Path, Grasp of Darkness, etc etc all shore up a weakness of your primary color, green, and enable you to actually protect yourself while you wait for your Desolation Twin to be cast.

As for the card quantity, a good rule of thumb is 24, 24, and 12, which is to say 24 lands, 24 creatures and 12 spells. This is by no means a hard and fast rule, but rather a guideline to start building with. In the case of this deck, its far more likely to be more mixed. Because the deck contains mana ramping spells, additional lands are beneficial. Your creatures are focused on producing mana, so having too many of these is not advisable. Lastly, the deck will basically demand additional spells greater in quantity than 12, as you have so many you need to cast.

Tl, dr; find a card you like. Build a deck around it using cards you think will support it.

I hope this helps you! Welcome to Magic!

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2016, 02:07:05 am »
Tl, dr; find a card you like. Build a deck around it using cards you think will support it.

I hope this helps you! Welcome to Magic!

Excellent advice! One of my first decks was built around the card that was out at the time that I liked the most, Primordial Hydra. (it, Garruk Primal Hunter, Ambush Viper, Champion of Lambholt, Caravan Vigil, Predator Ooze, Wolfir Silverheart, Increasing Savagery, and a couple Blessings of Nature just for good measure with some Fogs mixed in- looking back it wasn't that good a deck but it won more than it lost).
This space for rent.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2016, 01:46:45 am »
     There's so much good advice here that I don't even have to comment. Welcome to magic.