deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Draft] My first draft - 3x Oath of the Gatewatch - what should I change?  (Read 2237 times)

miszny

• Decks
Hi everyone,
I've participated in my first draft ever with some of my friends in company, that's what I managed to do:
http://deckstats.net/decks/58575/422279-draft-1-nissa-gw/en
(1 of Nissa is foil :) )
I've got lucky on first booster so took that Nissa foil and tried to match with green and whites (many good whites were on the table so why not)
There are all my cards that I got, what should I do with sideboard? Is it worth to have 2 same planeswalkers? Any advices about what to choose to this 40cards deck?
Thanks!

Dboe

• Decks
Re: [Draft] My first draft - 3x Oath of the Gatewatch - what should I change?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 07:38:27 am »
pretty nice hall with that foil Nissa.  It is always a good consideration to run duplicates when you can, just so that you can get some sort of draw consistency (and running 2 Nissa's is a great idea)

Loam larva works wonders in draft, as it helps you mana fix, especially when you run multiple colors. You seem to be a little over the place in terms of allys vs nonallys, and that likely comes from what you see in the packs, but building off of ally mechanics would not be the way to go (unless you pull a ton of allys)  So some of your higher cost allys with the cohort ability could have been a better pick.  I'd like to see a few more instances of control and a few more big beats creatures.  It looks like you only have 1, and in draft, the games can go stagnate some and a big drop could make or break you.

Just my 2 cents, hope it helps.  Kind of hard to give more advice without knowing what was in the packs to begin with.  Most importantly, when you played it: how did you do?  what were your biggest weaknesses?  did you have fun? 

miszny

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 09:15:51 am »
Thanks! I was not sure about that duplicate but I think that would be good. Our draft lasts a little bit longer that one day because we play it during working hours so I'll play it for next 2 weeks or more :).
I feel some lack of creatures in this deck. I've only played 2 matches, first was fast cause I havent got any flying creature (bad shuffle probably, only mana and duplicates), second was much better, got about 7 creatures including 3 tokens, all of them had 4 counters (with nissa and supports). I feel like it is very slow deck. Like you said, I should use some more instants. In my side a have only 3 creatures and about 10 instants/sorceries, should swap some and try this out.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 03:43:30 pm »
For your very first draft, that's pretty good. Plenty of evasion, bombs and assistants.
You also have buffs going. The loam lava is ok, but you didn't need worry about mana fixing.
This type of deck is patience while your army gets bigger. Since your building on this, get more
support type stuff. Drop the spawnbinder mage for another baloth pup, this will help bring the
mana curve down
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Dboe

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 04:35:51 pm »
Robort is probably right about the loam larva.  There may be better cards to put in there instead.

When I used it, I was forced to run 3 color + wastes, so I really needed the mana fixing, and it saved me a few times.  But since you are running only 2 colors, mana fixing probably isn't a big importance.  although a 1/3 blocker ain't bad turn 2.  *shrug*

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 07:52:22 pm »
     The deck looks pretty good for a draft. Have you tried making it modern or standard yet?

dakkaknight

• Decks
Re: Draft #1 - Nissa GW - Comments
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 09:35:00 pm »
What you need to do is sit next to me and pass me everything you just pulled!

miszny

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 09:49:40 pm »
@G.Moto
I haven't, it's my first time playing MTG for 5 years (althought, back then I've played it only for 2-3 months, havent got any money and had to sell cards), I'll consider that after our draft :)

Thanks everyone for comments! I'll try to drop that spawnbinder mage for something else and let them know after first few rounds played.