deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Everyone's favorite colors and why.  (Read 10828 times)

jaceperry

• Planeswalking to all planes 1 at a time
  • Decks
Everyone's favorite colors and why.
« on: February 13, 2016, 08:22:37 am »
This is just a for fun topic that I am just interested to see what people like. Please rate your colors from your favorite first and least favorite being of course last. I of course will start it off.
Blue- I always enjoy outsmarting a opponent. I love game of wits and blue gives me that.

Green- With the new support mechanic green jumped high in this list of mine it used to be second from last or 4th. Support is my new favorite deck make at this moment. I haven't had the drive to build a standard deck in at least two months before I seen this mechanic.

White- White has always been a support color to me. I honestly always see it as the color that cannot stand on its own. But don't get me wrong I have seen plenty that get the job done but White as a whole not so much.

Black- This color used to be second until Support came and wrecked it. The reason I enjoy black over red is because it isn't just the same thing over and over.

Red- Ugh this color is the color I associate with boredom. It repeats itself a lot. Never really bringing new concepts to the table. For example the majority of modern deck run lightning bolt. It is just like here I burn your face. It makes the game boring to me when I can lose before I even get the chance to play a single card. But red isn't all bad to me it did give me Sarkon and my favorite creature typing of Dragon. But don't get me wrong if you enjoy red this is not bashing you. You and I just enjoy different playstyles.
Mind Mage at heart.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
Re: Everyone's favorite colors and why.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 02:49:43 pm »
Alright then I guess it's my turn next;

1) Black- Starting out I've always been a black mana user in any and all combinations. Graveyard play is my specialty and people hardly ever prepare themselves for a sneak attack from the grave. It's a great way to catch people off guard and it can do anything that the other 4 colors can (for a price of course).

2) Green- I like the idea of a slow build up that leads into a landslide victory. Quick games are ok with me but I don't like the match to end before it even starts. Green lets me lay down enchantments, get small creatures that grow into big creatures, and maintain a healthy board presence. Black and Green may be opposites but they work just fine for me.

3) White- Its an ok color choice for me, white isn't always my first choice but it always pulls through when I need it to. I tend to have more of it than anything else and always find some out of the norm way of using it. It has its flaws but works when it needs to and is a powerhouse every other time.

4) Blue- I like the aspect of playing as a Blue mind mage, using mental magic and ingenuity to outsmart the opponent. However so many people use that color simply for countering EVERYTHING that it almost defeats the purpose of playing. Its like most blue decks are just "ANTI- META, win the tournament" instead of having fun anymore. I like the color and its own creativity but I don't like how people spam it.

5) Red- It's not a bad color but it doesn't always flow well with my play-style. Even when I'm using a red deck I find myself playing mid-ranged instead of playing aggro. I feel that if red had more to offer besides burn and haste then it'd be higher up on my list.

EBWonder

• Doing the voodoo that I do so well
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2016, 06:08:43 pm »
I'll bite next.

0) Colorless - First off, I know, Its not a color, but for completeness, I include it. I play it because I  like a challenge.

1) Green - I remember playing green when i first started out. Mana acceleration, instabuff, life gain, and trample were my bread and butter.

2) Black - Black edged out blue for me although I like them both equally. blacks big thing has always been recursion. I like things to be multipurpose and black can cover a lot of ground.

3) Blue - Blue has always been a control color for me. others have posted that red feel like you'[re bored, but blue was that way too. The thought process was: 1) do I have mana to counter, 2) is it that big of a threat, 3) how can I gain it if I want it?

4) Red - red has haste and burn. I'm not going to beat this dead horse. but it also had control and mana ramp (albeit limited). it was also the only colors to initially match green for creature speed (aka weenie rush).

5) White - White has been a little of everything (well except recursion and trample) and while it's useful, I think it slows down the game a bit too much or was too situational. Stasis Field has made me like it more, but I play red more than I play white usually.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2016, 06:37:32 pm »
1- Green: Always been my go to color. The vast majority of my decks when I was playing standard were either mono green or green with blue or black as a secondary color. Love to ramp into big fatties.

2- Black: Love graveyard shenanigans and black generally has the better removal. Overall my top two are the Golgari colors.

3- Blue: Control is nice, I like control but outside of some EDH decks that have it in it or splashing blue in a green deck to buy me time to hit my fatties, I generally don't use it. It disheartens newer players to play against it and the shop I'm at know seems to be mostly newer players so my use of blue has dwindled.

4- Red: When I'm drafting or doing prereleases I generally look for speed and that generally comes in Red. I'm not much into burn though if it compliments the strategy I'm using...

5- White: Just have never really used it much outside of color specific decks (EDH). Nothing against it, just mainly use it when it has cards that fit what I want the deck to do (my Boros Heroic enchantment deck for instance).
This space for rent.

milipeder

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 08:54:07 am »
1- Green: Ever since my introduction to Magic, I've always seemed to hover over the green side of Magic's color pie. There was just something so satisfying about slamming an enormous monster onto the table. Especially since when I played this archetype I was a twelve year old at the kitchen table, and neither I nor my friend knew what "removal" was nor how good it was. Since then my tastes for Magic have evolved, I've become somewhat of a combo player, although I do enjoy jamming the occasional fatty now and then.

2- Black: I think my love for black started at the same kitchen table as my love fro green, although now originally in my own hands. There was one kid at the table who had a little bit more money to invest in Magic than the rest of us. He was a big fan of Tribal decks, specifically everything undead, he brought Vampires and Zombies to the kitchen table, and for the life of us, none of us could beat him! I was usually the first eliminated, since I was the youngest one at the table and the others were better friends. His Tribal decks remained undefeated for many moths. I remember thinking how overpowered Undead Warchief was back in the day.

3- Blue: I don't really have as much of a nostalgic connection to any of the other three colors, so there will be no rose tinted goggles on these colors. However, I love the crazy cards that blue has to offer, it seems like all of the most broken cards come out of blue. And Frost Titan is my favorite Magic card, so blue earns slot #3.

4- White: I'm a huge fan of Death and Taxes in both Modern and Legacy. and Eldrazi Displacer has made the deck much better in modern, raising this color a slot on my list.

5- Red: From a flavor standpoint, red has always seemed very narrow to me. Same seems true from a gameplay standpoint, red just seems, well yeah, narrow. There's aren't very many ways to challenge my deckbuilding skills with red. It's either agro or removal, so red has earned the final spot on my favorite colors.

Audit

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 10:02:34 am »
Alright, my turn.

1 - GREEN: Green is first and foremost my go to color of choice. It is, in my honest opinion, the strongest color in Magic. It's just so overwhelmingly versatile. It's got mana ramp, fatties, weenie rush, buffs, support, and even some removal and control. There's a reason why so many people run Green in some way shape or form, it's because not having it is usually hindering yourself. It brings too much to the table to be ignored. And I love it.

2 - RED: I'm a Jund player. So my second is Red, but I also like Red for itself. I've always found Goblin Weenie Rush to be endlessly amusing, especially if you throw a Krenko into the mix. Just the thought of my opponent drowning under a mountain of pissy little Goblins makes me smile. Lore wise Goblins are also pretty hilarious. I'm actually working on a Krenko Goblins EDH deck right now. Red is also the best at the aggro play style in my opinion, so Red earns number two for me.

3 - BLACK: The very first deck I ever bought and played, the deck that got me into magic, was a black deck. Black holds a special place in my heart due to nostalgia purposes. But, while I started with Black because I was 14 and "Death and skulls are cool," I slowly realized that Black just wasn't me. The whole "hurt yourself to hurt your opponent more" Black play style never really jived with me. And, while I have found uses for Black in my G/B Token Sac and W/B Life Gain Life Loss decks, I almost never use Black outside of that.

4 - WHITE: White has always been, and probably always will be, a support color to me. I recognize White Weenie Rush, and actually do have a White Weenie Rush deck, I just feel that if you're going to Weenie Rush you're better off going Red. If I use White it's usually for support and removal spells like Endure the Elements, Feat of Resistance, Banishing Light, or Celestial Flare.

5 - BLUE: I have never liked Blue, and I never will like Blue. I would go so far as to say I actually hate Blue. Mill pisses me off to no end, and there are so many blue cards that I feel just shouldn't exist, for instance Omniscience. WHY IS THAT A THING?! "Hi, I'm blue! Don't mind me, I'm just going to be over here breaking the game!" The only time I ever touch Blue is if I'm forced to. Such as with Temur, I need to have a splash of blue to play Temur Charms and Savage Knuckleblades.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 10:18:41 am by Audit »

DelverMage

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 04:21:53 pm »
So leave it to me to not answer the question as asked........

I have  been playing this game on and off since MTG was less than 6 months old.  (YES, I am one of those  grey haired magic players.)

I was the first player in my group that believed Blue was a valid deck base.  I will never forget the night I won every match I played at the local game store  (this was before any organized play rules existed.  I had a 40 card deck with counters, island walk, Phantasmal Terrain, and Flyers and a silly card called Magical Hack.  I was mocked for playing Blue, but before the night was over people want to play me to see if their deck could handle 'that Blue deck'.  I still love sneaky odd Blue cards, and dislike the typical counterspell abilities.

My first good black deck (again before org. play rules) had 4 cards...10 of each.  Swamp, Sinkhole, Plague Rats, and Dark Ritual.  That was great fun until no one would play it any more.  I still enjoy how Black tends to be Feast or Famine in its behavior.

Cheese and weenies was my first Red deck.  I don't even need to explain the deck because it is an archetype of Magic, and always has been.  I really like U/R  decks, but I hate the fact that to be competitive with them they always becoming counter/cheese.

I loved White too back then, but one of my favorite abilities went away and so did my love of White.  Banding was a lot of fun.  Swinging with a First Strike, Flying, Trampling Band was always a blast.  Serra Angel was a cornerstone then.

Green was never a huge thing for me even though I wanted it to be.  I have always tried to build decks with it and never really won.  Green always teased me with the possibilities.  I guess it has been a love/hate relationship.  Too many tricks and speed and supression in all the other colors to allow Green to win consistently.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 12:59:12 am by DelverMage »

EBWonder

• Doing the voodoo that I do so well
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2016, 07:43:36 pm »
@DelverMage
(I'm not quite grey haired yet) let the memories commence!
in all fairness, you could have 10 plague rats in a deck.

I have used magical hack on a landwalk ability. I have also used slight of Mind on a Blue elemental blast.
I miss banding as an ability. it was a great counter to the the big monsters that you wanted to have them block with.
Serra Angel was the White beat card.
I have used Clone on a Vesuvan Doppelganger.
I have made a Dragon Whelp pop.
I have used Stream of Life for 0 (well, effectively. I channel streamed. I was under a black vise.)
Green was then and still is, primarily ramp to get your big creatures. I still like the Cockatrice / thicket basilisk / lure deck.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2016, 08:51:10 pm »
I don't have any favorite in general, a least favorite though. I will do the list.........

1. Red: The person who taught me had told me to pick a color that feels good to you.
So I chose red, I have always liked quicknes and red has it. I still laugh at the joke with
lava axe "here catch". Always imagining catching a burning axe to the face.

2. Green for 1 conception of it. Trample, it just plows its way to the opponent. The
bigger the plow the more damage comes. Like a mighty train with no brakes and
only one stop, "YOU"

3. White is the best support/synergistic color. White works together even with itself.
White just doesn't work without synergy.

4. Black is aggreable with recursion/grave manipulation. Black also has the you do
this for black, and black does this for you. Black carries most of the best removal.
Black will always be full of surprises.

5. Blue, I just don't care for it. Blue is boring, frustrating and stalls/slows the game
to much. Tap or bounce a creature, cancel this, cancel that, remove this, remove that,
add this, subtract that. If I can't do anything, then why am I playing. At least against
the other colors, I can actually play. Playing blue doesn't fit my play style. I don't
need to flip my cards in my hand or look at them. Usually I know exactly what I am
going to do my next 2-3 turns. Blue doesn't allow me to do that often.
However the thing I do like about it, the mill aspect. Yes it is frustrating, but not to
the point where you can't play something
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

deaddman9

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 03:49:54 am »
1. Red -- I first started playing when I was a kid. My brothers and I saw a big cardboard cutout in the window of a game shop. We decided to all go in together on buying cards, and split up the cards by color. Me being the youngest, got one color (red) while my two brothers got black & white and green & blue, respectively.

I'm not sure if red matches my playstyle, or if my playstyle matches red, but I love playing creature burn. Its cheap and efficient and you can use it to top off an attacker for the kill that you chump blocked with a 1/1. Burning an opponent's life total is boring to me, you can be much more creative and devious when burning creatures.

2 - 4. Blue, Black, Green

5. White -- Not sure why, just never really liked playing this color. I think its more about the fantasy related theme of white than anything else.

(P.S. I play standard, that seems a bit relevant to my answer.)

digital

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 05:53:09 am »
Fairly new to magic, but have tried all colours and these are opinions

1.Green. Having all the mana in the world and putting big creatures on the field was satisfying and discovering the synergies I could do with them like pulse of murasa and den protector made me think I was getting better constantly and learning as I played more and more. Having my first deck (made from the trash of my friends that introduced me to magic) making it green/red it has made a special place in my heart(also may have a little bias because nissa voice of zendikar is my first planeswalker)

2.Red. Again having my first ever deck be Green/Red the colour of red will always have a place in my heart. Red has always worked with me either big creature to combo off like geyser glider equipped lightning talon and assualt strobe then pushing it over with giant growth making a 10/7 double strike (flying if I used landfall of geyser glider) and if I didn't win then i was left with a 7/4 with first strike Being highly aggressive and all the burns spell destroying creatures without risking my creatures was something I was fond of. so Red is second on my list

3.White. Flying, life link, vigilance, and sometimes first strike are  easy to find in white but to me it was more of a support colour relied on having more than 1 creature and using all the creature effect or just buffing it to the point of no possible way to deal with it unless you have a board wipe or doomblade. I have lost to mono whites and Elspeth v kiora white deck is pretty good

4.Black. Most straight forward card "kill this" or "when something dies (blank)" I don't like sacrificing anything unless I can guarantee that I will get more back. I'm trying to pull another friend into magic using black green hoping that the straight forwardness of black and the mana gain from green will make him one of us

5.colourless or artifact. Say no to blue. Blue sucks. playing blue is turning to the dark side blue is "swing for the win" "reset game for 5 mana" so say no to blue mil sucks counter suck negate suck and blue sucks say no to blue

jaceperry

• Planeswalking to all planes 1 at a time
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 06:43:21 am »
Alright then I guess it's my turn next;

1) Black- Starting out I've always been a black mana user in any and all combinations. Graveyard play is my specialty and people hardly ever prepare themselves for a sneak attack from the grave. It's a great way to catch people off guard and it can do anything that the other 4 colors can (for a price of course).

2) Green- I like the idea of a slow build up that leads into a landslide victory. Quick games are ok with me but I don't like the match to end before it even starts. Green lets me lay down enchantments, get small creatures that grow into big creatures, and maintain a healthy board presence. Black and Green may be opposites but they work just fine for me.

3) White- Its an ok color choice for me, white isn't always my first choice but it always pulls through when I need it to. I tend to have more of it than anything else and always find some out of the norm way of using it. It has its flaws but works when it needs to and is a powerhouse every other time.

4) Blue- I like the aspect of playing as a Blue mind mage, using mental magic and ingenuity to outsmart the opponent. However so many people use that color simply for countering EVERYTHING that it almost defeats the purpose of playing. Its like most blue decks are just "ANTI- META, win the tournament" instead of having fun anymore. I like the color and its own creativity but I don't like how people spam it.

5) Red- It's not a bad color but it doesn't always flow well with my play-style. Even when I'm using a red deck I find myself playing mid-ranged instead of playing aggro. I feel that if red had more to offer besides burn and haste then it'd be higher up on my list.

Yeah I can understand your thing with Blue. I run mono blue mill-counter in modern but in that only 7 main board counterspells with a few special scenarios plays for people that play choke. I now run mindbend to stop that. Changing that text when it enters to forests. They can they have fun with that. Oh sorry get off kilter there because i got choked to death in a modern match recently.
Mind Mage at heart.

TyTy03

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 09:31:20 am »
Here we go :

1. Black :
I'd run Black in deck, all days, just for 3 cards : Inquisition of Kozilek, Thoughtseize and Liliana of the Veil. All decks I make uses these cards, in many variants (Jund, Mardu, Abzan, Rakdos, 8-Rack, Black Devotion). I just like running discard, playing the mind game on what to discard to win the game at a proper moment, plus when I started Magic, I read something like "Disrupt their hand, win the game", I kinda stuck to it  :P
Black also offer some of the best target removals in the game.

2. Red :
I ran RDW for days, I liked it a lot just for the cost-efficiency aspect.
And come on, send me rocks if Lightning Bolt isn't one of the best cards in Magic ? ;D
I also like a lot the story of Chandra, that's help, and Red has more Dragons than other colors ::)

3. White / Green :
I put them at equal, just because they synergize pretty well with either Red or Black (specially Green).
But I think I like White more than Green, just for the aspect of lifegain and White offers Angels, Angels are cool !
I also like the aim of Elspeth (specially Kinght-Errant), I always try to find a spot for her in my decks using White.

4. Blue :
I don't really like this color, maybe it's because I played too much against it, or it is just not my playstyle.
I'd rather ask myself : "What do I have to discard ?", than "Do I have to counter this ?"

etc

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 09:48:07 am »
Ok, I guess I'll give it a try too.

Blue- I chose blue first because I love the aspect of counterspells and card draw, and blue is in most of my good decks including my favorite EDH. However, I don't like playing Mono-Blue because of its shortage of solid creatures respective to their cmc. My favorite planeswalker, Tamiyo, is blue. Additionally, the exact reason people are putting Blue at the bottom of their list is exactly why I play it. Use blue to stall games, use your other color to win them is how most of my blue decks play.

Green- Green is my favorite Mono-color, but I think it needs to be mono in order to get most of its bombs out (ie: Primalcrux) but it can still be an amazing splash to most decks

White- White is a must in any of my aggro decks, mostly because of a huge amount of flying and lifegain. White is probably the most annoying color to play against in my opinion, hence why it takes 3rd place. However, white does have its share of fun games for me (Just a few days ago I gained 16,000 life against a Pacified Primordial Hydra and a Dazzling Reflection)

Red- I love red in my EDH decks because it provides some much-needed early game burn to ensure I survive the first 6 or so turns. However, red can become a deadweight, especially in my Izzet EDH where burn damage is dwarfed by Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind's card damage.

Black- I don't like black because I don't like the concept of paying life and creatures for resources. In my opinion, that's what mana is for, not life, and green would be a better addition to a deck. Also, black seems to be stuck in an endless loop with itself. Sac a creature for mana, cast a creature, sac IT for mana to summon a bigger creature. I realize that those creatures will eventually get big enough to be worthy of not being killed, but Kadoma's Reach, Nature's Lore, Elvish Mystic, and Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury, as well as green in general, do creatures and mana better.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 10:45:32 am by etc »

AliasGreg

• "WATCH OUT! WATCH OUT! WATCH OUT"
  • Decks
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2016, 10:34:56 am »
I play EDH so it might be different:

GREEN - This colour is so powerful in EDH, make you safely ramp towards victory, but also draw a lot, and you have access to big finishers too.

BLACK - This colour is also very powerful, because of the graveyards synergies and the sacrifice which is very difficult to counter.

RED - This colour is the colour of FUN, it's not very effective but some cards are just nuts and can really affect games.

BLUE - This colour is really good, surely the best. You can make plays, by playing at instant speed, there are big spells, additionnal turns and control... But it's sometimes quite annoying because it can ruin funny games if you use all the staples.

WHITE - I don't play this colour very much, but I should try. I find it very aggressive and with a lack of ressources end game in EDH. But sometimes I discover white cards that make me want to play this colour but I always find my decks uneffective in the end unless when it's paired with another colour.