deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Poll

Let's make this interesting. Who is your favorite LORWYN PLANESWALKER?

Ajani Goldmane
6 (22.2%)
Jace Beleren
4 (14.8%)
Chandra Nalaar
7 (25.9%)
Liliana Vess
6 (22.2%)
Garruk Wildspeaker
4 (14.8%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Voting closed: April 20, 2016, 10:04:57 pm

Author Topic: Favorite Planeswalker  (Read 19402 times)

Drunk Cynic

• Abusing the Terrible and Neglected
  • Decks
Re: Favorite Planeswalker
« Reply #45 on: April 22, 2016, 03:00:01 am »
gmoto, I have read her ultimate wich means she can be run in other decks excluding wolfs/werewolfs. Her werewolf side is the better side. Without putting situational in play, lets see what happens when she first comes into play and dies compared to the other
planeswalkers in the set. She either puts out a 2/2 token or gives a creature +2 +2 and vigilance for 4 drop. Jace is 5 and either gives card advantage or creature removal with a bounce. Sorin gives a card draw advantage with possible life loss or does max 6 damage to target creature/planswalker and life gain all for 6 drop. Nahiri is 4 drop and helps delirium and exiles something tapped.

With either of those 3 being dropped and dying you get more value from then arlinn
From that, her 'efficacy curve' is just steeper. While her early abilities lack luster, the endgame is devastating.

Discarding her because "dies to removal" is far too simplistic.
Perpetual Johnny. Interactions and originality are preferable to winning, though winning doesn't hurt.
If I throw statistics at you, they likely came from:
http://stattrek.com/online-calculator/hypergeometric.aspx

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #46 on: April 23, 2016, 04:00:52 pm »
I haven't discarded her, just being realistic among the possibilties. One of those possibilties is the value of a 4 drop and then death.
Putting out a 2/2 creature for 4 mana just isn't worth it when so many other 4 drops are much better. That's based apon the possibility
of death. I would want to minimize this possibility of it happening and gain more value out of the 4 drop.

A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #47 on: April 23, 2016, 04:59:30 pm »
   But a planeswalker's mere presence on a board can a board can retain value no matter the drop. If Arlin Kord uses her +1 effect on a werewolf  (lets say hinterland logger) that has neglected heirloom equipped (which has been on the field already) then you'll have a first strike werewolf on the field with some insanely high stats. Also once its power HAS risen greatly you can simply use it for the target of multiple rabid bite. This way you can clear the field first and THEN swing out with trample. Its a simple strategy that works when implemented. And even if you don't get them to flip, just use harvest hand while they're human. This way they are gonna lose creatures either to a human that has to be double blocked or to a werewolf that will rip through all their creatures. She has versatility as far as her uses go but she makes up for the weakness that humans have compared to their more bestial sides.

ladof

• Decks
« Reply #48 on: April 23, 2016, 05:02:59 pm »
But you arent just putting out a 2/2 for mana. You're also forcing your opponent to burn precious removal and mana. If you play Arlinn on turn 4 and they remove her on their turn l, that only leaves usually 1 or 2 mana for them to do anything with for the rest of their turn. If you play her again on turn 5 (not a great hand, but just speculate) you can either turn that 2/2 into a 4/4 with vigilance or put another 2/2 on the board and still have arlinn. Now they probably don't have removal to get rid of her, too.
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #49 on: April 23, 2016, 05:19:09 pm »
  Wolves hunt in packs....

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2016, 10:37:59 pm »
   But a planeswalker's mere presence on a board can a board can retain value no matter the drop. If Arlin Kord uses her +1 effect on a werewolf  (lets say hinterland logger) that has neglected heirloom equipped (which has been on the field already) then you'll have a first strike werewolf on the field with some insanely high stats. Also once its power HAS risen greatly you can simply use it for the target of multiple rabid bite. This way you can clear the field first and THEN swing out with trample. Its a simple strategy that works when implemented. And even if you don't get them to flip, just use harvest hand while they're human. This way they are gonna lose creatures either to a human that has to be double blocked or to a werewolf that will rip through all their creatures. She has versatility as far as her uses go but she makes up for the weakness that humans have compared to their more bestial sides.

Look at your mana cost, on what your talking about. Turn 2 and 3 those are out, turn 4 is arlin with nothing being flipped because she was cast.
Most he'll be is a 5/4 with vigiliance. Use rabid bite next turn and neither still doesn't flip. While you possibly face 3-4 flyers who have killed arlinn. Which then itterates my original point of weak loyalty and using her + ability first is a better bet to help minimize that possibility of death.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2016, 10:54:06 pm »
But you arent just putting out a 2/2 for mana. You're also forcing your opponent to burn precious removal and mana. If you play Arlinn on turn 4 and they remove her on their turn l, that only leaves usually 1 or 2 mana for them to do anything with for the rest of their turn. If you play her again on turn 5 (not a great hand, but just speculate) you can either turn that 2/2 into a 4/4 with vigilance or put another 2/2 on the board and still have arlinn. Now they probably don't have removal to get rid of her, too.

Again there are hardly any green or red flyers in the SOI set, never mind anything else. Now by putting out a second arlinn and putting out another 2/2. I would say a very high cost of 8 mana just for 2 2/2's. Also a 4/4 with vigilance for 1 turn for 8 mana.
Agreed with speculation because once that 4/4 turns back to a 2/2, where is board presence? A 2/2, vs ??? speculation

Drunk Cynic

• Abusing the Terrible and Neglected
  • Decks
« Reply #52 on: April 24, 2016, 01:47:16 am »
Some arguments aren't worth having. Your perspective will likely remain the same until a deck with Arlin's Emblem eats your face.

May you draw well.
Perpetual Johnny. Interactions and originality are preferable to winning, though winning doesn't hurt.
If I throw statistics at you, they likely came from:
http://stattrek.com/online-calculator/hypergeometric.aspx

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #53 on: April 24, 2016, 06:01:20 am »
   And may the odds FOREVER be in your favor....until you get hunted by a wolf pack.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #54 on: April 25, 2016, 12:17:36 am »
lol youse guys are funny. Hardly have I ever seen an ultimate go off, especially in a timed limited format game. Not saying they don't happen just not to often. Aiming soley just for an ultimate is based again with probabilities and remains unlikely.
Arlin just doesn't have to be with wolves, for giggles a perfect scenario. Turn 1 drop insolent neonate, turn 2 tormenting voice, turn 3
inexorable blob, turn 4 arlinn.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #55 on: April 25, 2016, 06:38:20 am »
 Fangs for the compliment  :P

Konjiikhan

• Decks
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2016, 05:35:20 am »
im thinking slightly more but mostly a TIE first Ral Zarek then Sorin Solemn Visitor. sometimes i day dream about what a planewalker would be IF they merged these two....

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2016, 06:24:04 am »
  So would that be a yore tiller nephilim colored deck? Or are you just referring to the effects? Other wise you might be able to build a good Izzet mid-ranged deck or a Control oriented Orzhov deck.

Konjiikhan

• Decks
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2016, 07:31:54 am »
effects. lifelink burn extra turns...pow bam boof....splat

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2016, 05:18:17 pm »
    If you made the Izzet deck either Grixis (B/U/R) or Jeskai (U/R/W) then you might be able to achieve that same effect with less colors.
Last time I checked black does have access to burn spells and some form of lifelink, if you want to go that route.