deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: GW Casual Decklist - Suggestions?  (Read 27221 times)

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
Re: GW Casual Decklist - Suggestions?
« Reply #90 on: April 26, 2016, 06:07:35 am »
I'm going to answer your posts backwards:

1) keep the citadel siege if you're not focusing on the life gain anymore
2) I haven't purchased cards from that online site, I mostly trade or by cards off my friends.

3) With the Ajani and the (+1/+1) counters all your creatures will get a (+1/+1) counter for EACH token then +1 more token because of the hardened scales. So my math is this: the enchantment hardened scales gives each creature an extra +1/+1 counter so instead of any creature getting 20x (+1/+1) they'll be getting 40x (+1/+1) counters. That's 800 COUNTERS! Since your enduring scalelord gets a (+1/+1) counter every time one or more counters are placed on another creature AND it'll gain double that because of hardened scales then it'll also gain an extra 40x (+1/+1) counters. So your dragon looks like (if I did my math right) will be gaining about 840x (+1/+1) counters.

4) Also yes to the alter of the brood, they would lose 20 cards.

5) The way that phyrexian obliterator works is this: YOU sacrifice permanents equal to the amount of damage you DEAL to it. So if your fleecemane lion is a 4/4 and kills the other monster on contact then you still have to sacrifice 4 Permanents not 5.

6) I believe that you don't. Reason being, you only sac permanents if you deal damage, but if you outright destroy it then there is no damage.

7) If you cast arrest on a creature you can still use it for other cards' CONVOKE costs. The creature can still gain +1/+1 counters and be used for other creatures activated abilities (similar to how zulaport chainmage  taps other ally creatures). Also an activated ability is something that you have to PAY A COST to use. For example: ulrich's kindred has an ACTIVATED ABILITY because you have to PAY to use its effect.

8) your servant of the scale would enter the field as a 2/2 creature.

That's all I've got for now, I hope it helps. If my math is off on the first one then I apologize in advance, it gets tricky when your stacking effects on top of one another.

OceanSky

• A casual MTG player
  • Decks
Re: Mid-Range GW - Comments
« Reply #91 on: April 26, 2016, 02:21:29 pm »
For the 1/1 counters from the Ajani Planeswalker, none of those counters end up on the Cat tokens themselves, since they all enter at the same time, right? Also, where does 800 counters come from? Isn't it just 40 counters per other creature?

How do you remove a monstrous Fleecemane Lion?

OceanSky

• A casual MTG player
  • Decks
« Reply #92 on: April 26, 2016, 02:23:48 pm »
For my mana color ratio, I'm not sure how to proceed. Should I go with 10 to 14 (42-58) or should I do 9 to 15 (38-62)?

OceanSky

• A casual MTG player
  • Decks
« Reply #93 on: April 26, 2016, 02:26:40 pm »
The sample hand generator (Again!) insists on giving me Plains with no Forests, or better yet, no lands at all... This has happened several times in a row....

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #94 on: April 26, 2016, 07:00:56 pm »
   For the counters your dragon gets a +1/+1 counter every time another creature would gain a +1/+1 counter. This means that it would gain a +1/+1 counter for each and every 2/2 cat token that enters the battlefield and then gets extra counters for every time EACH of those tokens gets a +1/+1 counter. On top of that your enduring scalelord will also get additional +1/+! counters because of the hardened scales.

For the color ratio take out all the mana that you have. Put in only basic lands first, then 1 by 1 add the non basic lands. This way you can see how your mana is adjusting to your deck.

Lastly the only way to get rid of an indestructible AND hexproof creature is to either bounce multiple creatures back to the opponent's hand (without SPECIFICALLY targeting it), or make your opponent SACRIFICE it (it's like a voluntary destruction on your opponent's part without the actual destroying).

OceanSky

• A casual MTG player
  • Decks
« Reply #95 on: April 27, 2016, 01:19:31 am »
I don't have any nonbasic lands so I just changed my mana ratio and I'm getting more of the right colors. But the ratio is less similar to my mana usage distribution than is was before.

A rules question:
I have one Hardened Scales, a Kalonian Hydra, and a creature with X +1/+1 counters on it. I attack with the hydra, doubling the counters. So does the creature now have 2X+1 counters or 3X? Also, does a +1/+1 counter and a -1/-1 counter cancel each other or do they just both stay there on the creature?

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #96 on: April 27, 2016, 01:33:48 am »
  Both the +1/+1 and the -1/-1 counters stay on the creature but the effects basically cancel each other out as far as stats goes. For the hydra combo yes it would be double the +1/+1 counters and then it'll receive (+1 more counter).

OceanSky

• A casual MTG player
  • Decks
« Reply #97 on: April 30, 2016, 04:04:49 am »
I feel like this deck needs some sort of "Ultimate" card, that costs a lot to cast... But I don't want the mana curve to be to high. Right now, my Enduring Scalelord is my "Ultimate." Is this a good enough card? I also have Kalonian Hydra and Sunscorch Regent and Stuffy Doll. Those are pretty strong cards even though they don't cost in the CMC 7+ range.

OceanSky

• A casual MTG player
  • Decks
« Reply #98 on: April 30, 2016, 04:28:14 am »
Maybe if I added Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite in the place of the Sunscorch Regent, I would have a good Ultimate.

OceanSky

• A casual MTG player
  • Decks
« Reply #99 on: April 30, 2016, 04:32:30 pm »
As for my mana color ratio, I've found that a 50-50 mix is best, even though two-thirds of my deck is white. I have a lot of early-game color-specific cost cards like Avatar of the Resolute and Fleecemane Lion. As the game goes on I should have enough of both colors to cast what I want, but the 50-50 really helps me cast my early game creatures in the early game.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #100 on: April 30, 2016, 05:14:51 pm »
    I think letting the Kalonian Hydra be your "ultimate" would be a better choice. Reason being, you don't have to possess an expensive card for it to be your ultimate. For example; in my old Rakdos deck I didn't have Rakdos, lord of riots but my ultimate card was probably the hellhole flailer. He's got a strong body, a great effect and he serves multiple purposes. That's what you should be looking at as far as ultimate cards go. The mana cost should only matter when you're deciding how often you want to play it. Also if the mana ratio works out for you then stick to it.

OceanSky

• A casual MTG player
  • Decks
« Reply #101 on: April 30, 2016, 06:04:09 pm »
Oh well... I already order Elesh norn, grand cenobite... It's ok, my deck is looking pretty darn good right now. All my friends are super mad when I play kalonian hydra with hardened scales and champion of lambholt.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #102 on: April 30, 2016, 06:05:53 pm »
   Good job, your deck has come a long way.

OceanSky

• A casual MTG player
  • Decks
« Reply #103 on: May 01, 2016, 06:53:29 pm »
Any last cards to trim off my deck? I removed one Archon of Justice to fix my mana-ratio.

OceanSky

• A casual MTG player
  • Decks
« Reply #104 on: May 01, 2016, 06:56:25 pm »
I also realized something: My Stuffy Doll is ABSOLUTELY fatal when it has a few +1/+1 counters on it. I had a stuffy doll that was a 4/5 and the opponent only had two choices: take 4 damage and lose the game or take 5 damage and lose the game. :D