deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: which one  (Read 7611 times)

Konjiikhan

• Decks
which one
« on: April 29, 2016, 04:14:39 am »
wee dragonauts or monastary swiftspears. in an Izzet unblockable deck what one would u use? Ive got 4 of: stormchaser mage/kiln fiend/nivixcyclops. i got 2 open slots in deck i wanna add more creatures for opening hand draw. Hopefully less mulligens this way. im leaning towards wee drago's...flying and buff better with cast spells.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Re: which one
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2016, 04:46:08 am »
Depends on the curve of the rest of your deck but from the cards you listed you don't have any one drops so I'd lean towards Monastery Swiftspear.
This space for rent.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 07:15:46 am »
  If you build the deck first we may be able to give you a more in depth opinion. From my standpoint there are two things I see:

1) Monastery Swiftspear - is a low drop creature, it has haste right out of the gate, and only costs one color to play.

2) wee dragonauts - it is still a relatively low drop creature, it has a higher toughness, it can fly AND it becomes stronger than the swift spear.

So basically the wee dragonauts are the stronger of the two buts it's slower to get out. If you're playing U/R then it won't be a problem cause you'll have goblin electromancer to reduce the costs of your other spells and 3-mana will be a cake walk for you.

Konjiikhan

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2016, 07:27:53 am »
my izzet deck. it is on here...http://deckstats.net/decks/61033/446193-izzet-space-probes/en
without looking at deck i wanted some feedback. total bias as what i am trying to do with them.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2016, 03:01:45 pm »
I'd go with Monastery Swiftspear to keep the speed of your deck in line with what it is. If you're wanting something with flying that buffs from your instants & sorceries, I'd look at Spellheart Chimera.

Also, I'd consider Nivamagus Elemental for the sideboard against control matchups. For instance, you play Lightning Bolt, the opponent counters it, you could then exile Lightning Bolt off the stack and still get something out of it (2 +1/+1 counters on Nivamagus) while your opponent has burnt a counter spell.
This space for rent.

Konjiikhan

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2016, 10:11:21 pm »
ok maybe i misunderstood rule for nivmag use of spells. If u declare this spell " " is exiled to niv then it cant be cast as a spell aka lit bolts. as i read you post wwolfe....cast lightining bolt get 3 damage ..then exile to niv. i still dont see how ya can do that. its one or the other. OR are you cast lit bolt..let it get countered so its null/void...then declare exile to niv??

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2016, 10:27:01 pm »
You cast Lightning Bolt

in response your opponent counters it

in response to them countering it you exile Lightning Bolt off the stack

Nivamagus gets two +1/+1 counters

You can only exile a spell off the stack with his ability, meaning after it's been cast but before it resolves.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2016, 10:29:21 pm by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

Konjiikhan

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2016, 10:31:59 pm »
ok thats how i was using it in this deck awhile back. let oppenent answer to my bolt or w/e spell....then exile that spell to niv. i didnt like that playstyle. finally got 4 kilns....:)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2016, 10:35:03 pm »
It really only benefits to play Nivamagus that way against control matchups. I use to run an Izzet control-burn deck for a while back during RTR standard. Epic Experiment in that deck could be a bomb, but then there were times you hit nothing with it.
This space for rent.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2016, 05:38:36 pm »
   That's the crazy thing about mad science, you either get EXACTLY what you were working towards or you get something you didn't even expect. But honestly I didn't understand how to use that nivmagus elemental but it makes sense now.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2016, 01:18:06 am »
Yea, Nivmagus works best (or really is only useful) against control matchups but he can be a beast in those situations.
This space for rent.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2016, 09:31:21 am »
   Could you play multiple instant and/or sorcery spells on your own stack (or "chain" as its called in other card games) and then exile cards that way? Also once you cast a spell, if nivmagus elemental exiles that CARD the effect still takes place correct?

ushiikun

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2016, 05:53:38 pm »
No, it says on the creature that the spell won't resolve.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2016, 06:50:07 pm »
Well that kinda is a let down. But at least its a good way to get rid of multiples of cards if your hand gets too full. What's the point of discarding when you can pump up one of your creatures instead?

ushiikun

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2016, 09:03:03 pm »
It has the downside that you have to pay the mana to cast your spell to get it on the stack before you exile it.