deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Opinion on my first deck  (Read 7169 times)

Darilack

• Decks
Opinion on my first deck
« on: April 30, 2016, 12:44:35 pm »
https://deckstats.net/decks/64354/481526-fatboy/ I'm playing for around two weeks and i've done building this deck today. I want you all to be honest in what can i improve, because I KNOW that i'm doing something wrong.

Thank you all in advance.

Siegmar

• Decks
Re: Opinion on my first deck
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 03:17:02 pm »
Your mana Curve is too high , you should aim around 2.5 and you should focus on a few better creatures , not that many different. Also GR is a ramp combination so you can play mana bobs und ramp spells so your deck gets faster :)
if you got questions feel free to ask

Darilack

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 05:17:33 pm »
Ok, i'll try to change a few things with what you said in mind, thanks.

Also, any suggestions on what cards should i replace?

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2016, 05:59:01 pm »
  The honest thing about your deck is that there are a lot of various cards to play but there isn't any cohesiveness in the deck. I do have a few suggestions that may help you with this process:

1) Focus on what kinds of creatures you are going to use- A lot of the creatures in this deck have high mana costs or have varying effects all over the board. If you pick a theme or an over-arching mechanic to stick by then your creatures will be able to work better TOGETHER (rather than just functioning in a deck alongside one another).

2) Utilize spells that help the deck- R/G decks are usually aggressive so combat tricks and power buffs are somewhat essential for this deck's play style. Incorporating effects such as trample, first strike and haste will make the deck move faster and hit harder. But at the same time you have to watch your mana costs. If you don't have mana ramp then you'll want lower cost spells, and even with the ramp if you have too much floating mana then you'll just be wasting time and resources. Know what you want the deck to do for you then go from there.

3) Right now as far as mana goes the deck is actually pretty balanced so I really do not have any suggestions on that part.

So looking at the deck what have you noticed as you played it? Have you seen any loopholes or noticed any hiccups in how you play?

Darilack

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 10:39:55 pm »
http://deckstats.net/decks/64354/481526-fatboy

I've just came from a store and bought some cards. Changed a bit based on what you two suggested me. I think my deck is more aggressive, cheapier and has a lot of mana sources.

Anything that i could do to improve even more?

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2016, 01:26:24 am »
Waaaay too many 1 of's. You want at least 2-3 of's for most of your deck so you get consistency out of it.

Also your mana curve is way too high. You have almost as many 5-6 cmc spells (10) as you do 1-2 cmc spells (11).
This space for rent.

Darilack

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 03:50:44 am »
I understand. What cards would you suggest me? And what could i do to stabilize my mana curve?

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2016, 09:26:38 am »
   Here is the best method to stabilize your deck (that works for me anyway):
1) Find out WHAT you want your deck to do
2) Sort the deck by colors
3) Put all the cards that work towards your theme and goal in one pile
4) The cards that are absolutely necessary add multiples of (2-3, 4 if it's crucial)
5) side board everything else and then play test
6) depending on how the deck runs add and subtract from there

This method is pretty simple and helps out a lot. If you want an aggressive deck focus on low drop spells, combat tricks, and ways to increase the survival rate of your creatures. Minimize the high drop spells, take out ANYTHING that does not contribute to the foundation of your deck, that does not help your deck purpose and that slows down your deck or leaves openings for the opponent to exploit. For the moment take out any and ALL spells that are 5 converted mana cost or more (so basically keep everything that's 4 CMC or less). Look at your lower drop spells and decide what you want the CORE of your deck to be. Once you've done that add cards that will aid in that deck's advancement. What are your thoughts thus far?

Darilack

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2016, 06:25:39 pm »
-I decided that my deck would be agressive, so i've looked into every card (like you said) and found out that i need more trample and haste, so i'll be focusing on it. Some cards are hard to let go, because of the attachment i have... but i'll do it.
-Next monday i'll go back to the store and buy some trample, haste and creatures with deathtouch, reach... all that i can do to dominate the battlefield.
-I've replaced those expensive spells with "Clear a Path", "Epic Confrontation" and "Infectious Bloodlust" (i plan on buying another one Infectious Bloodlust) with the battle in mind.

As of my thoughts go, i think i'm improving a lot. Been researching some decks, and you guys helped me a lot. I'm getting better on the battlefield, but yeah, i agree i need more multiple cards.

So, what combo of creatures should i buy? I'm thinking of buying some Deadly Recluse because of it's abilities (and to destroy flying creatures), but i need your help in selecting other ones based on trample, haste... etc.

Thank you all for the help thus far.

[EDIT] Also, would it be good to use Timber Gorge ?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2016, 06:41:58 pm by Darilack »

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2016, 06:48:33 pm »
   If you combo the lands that enter the battlefield tapped with cards such as swell of growth then you can play them on your opponent's turn as combat tricks. This will also give your creatures an increased survival rate and your lands will be untapped by your turn. Also since your deck isn't tribal based you can get away with various monsters that have those large range of effects. Spiders are good for reach. Also if you add obsessive Skinner then every turn you can give a creature a +1/+1 counter and make your smaller creatures stronger. cards such as aim high and rush of adrenaline are good choices as well.

Darilack

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 03:39:51 am »
  I came back to show you all what i've done with my deck: http://deckstats.net/decks/64354/481526-fatboy

I gathered a lot of tips that i received from you guys and invested on them. Took off a loot of spells, and put more copies of the same creatures. I'm trying to find some other monster to replace the 1x ones, but until now i think the game is going much smoother than before. Thank you all for the support, i really appreciate it, and it served to me as a GREAT welcome to the MTG world.

So, any new tips on how could i improve even more? Any creatures i could implement?

-Can i use Rogue Kavu in Modern?

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2016, 05:51:51 am »
Yep you certainly can.
This space for rent.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2016, 08:16:57 am »
  As far as the deck goes there are only a few recommendations:

1) Try focusing your deck around the Return to Ravnica block and the Theros Block. I feel those card sets might give your deck a stronger identity.
2) Like WWolfe said trim down on the 1 of's in this deck. Personally I like the card choices but it doesn't help the deck flow smoothly. For example, if you had 4x time to feed cards, you'd most likely be using it more often if you run an aggro deck with strong creatures. Personally rabid bite is better because it lets you hit their creature while keeping yours unscathed.
3) There are some cards that can be updated for more functional uses.

Darilack

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2016, 01:23:16 am »
http://deckstats.net/decks/64354/481526-fatboy

I tried to update my deck after i went on a Modern Night (i've been destroyed, but learned a lot), and got this. I'm pretty confident on how it is going, but i'm afraid of one thing: There a lot more of Green than red.

What should i do, balance the basic lands or change some of the creatures to red 'variations' of them? (Are there any red creatures like the greens i have?)

As always, thanks!

Philippe Saner

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2016, 04:02:31 am »
If your plan is low-budget green-red aggro, I'd recommend 4 each of Kird Ape, Flinthoof Boar, and Burning-Tree Emissary. They're all cheap ways to put power on the board.

Joyous Respite, Seek The Horizon, and Lobber Crew all seem to be at odds with your aggressive plan. I'd cut them.

Gruul Guildgate is worse in every way for you than Rugged Highlands. There are better lands, especially for an aggressive deck that doesn't like it when things enter the battlefield tapped, but they tend to cost real money.

G Moto was right to say that Rabid Bite is better than Time To Feed, but I think playing red gives you even better options. Fall of the Hammer is one, if you want to stick with the creature-based burn plan, but if I were you I'd prefer Lightning Bolt. Even if it does cost two dollars per card.