deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Standard] Awakening Azorius (SOI)  (Read 2654 times)

kmalsom

• Decks
[Standard] Awakening Azorius (SOI)
« on: May 06, 2016, 05:38:47 pm »
Awakening Azorius (SOI)

Azorius Control based on the Awaken Mechanic for SOI Standard

Looking for feedback.  Trying to come up with an Azorius Control deck for the SOI Standard.  This is a first draft.

rht21

• Decks
Re: [Standard] Awakening Azorius (SOI)
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 07:52:21 pm »
Not a deck master or anything but it seems like you could be running reflector mages, and maybe a couple more declarations.

ushiikun

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2016, 08:41:20 pm »
Need to mainboard at least 2 Brain in the Jar. I like it comboed with Part the Waterveil, take an extra turn for one mana, leaving you plenty of mana to do things this turn before taking your extra turn.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 06:38:08 am »
   I see that you're going for a control element to this deck. You have plenty of counter spells and removal but how is your board state and field control? If your opponent finds a way to take out your thing in the ice then what are you going to do about maintaining that control over your opponent?

kmalsom

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 02:16:25 am »
   I see that you're going for a control element to this deck. You have plenty of counter spells and removal but how is your board state and field control? If your opponent finds a way to take out your thing in the ice then what are you going to do about maintaining that control over your opponent?

My main win condition is intended to be awakened lands, but I do share concerns about maintaining a board presence to keep attackers at bay.  I'm sure I'll have to test and see if this is enough.  Do you have any recommendations?

I'm more worried about control mirrors or extremely aggro decks (aka humans :)).  Other than the control decks, most decks aren't running much removal.  I think the CoCo decks are only running four removal spells, same as the humans decks.  With humans, I'm concerned about getting overrun since my creature removal is 2CC vs 1CC for most of their creatures.

kmalsom

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 02:17:56 am »
Not a deck master or anything but it seems like you could be running reflector mages, and maybe a couple more declarations.
Not sure about reflector mages, they're more of a tempo deck creature.  Since I'm expecting most games to go long, I don't want to give my opponents lots of card draw, but we'll have to see if I need more declaration in stones.

Thank you for the input. :)

kmalsom

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2016, 02:18:46 am »
Need to mainboard at least 2 Brain in the Jar. I like it comboed with Part the Waterveil, take an extra turn for one mana, leaving you plenty of mana to do things this turn before taking your extra turn.

I'm thinking brain could be very powerful in this deck, that's why it's in the maybe board.  We'll have to see how it plays out.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2016, 06:17:16 am »
    Well my main thing against the awakened lands is that once they die you've just lost the majority of your deck's mana production. Can you imagine having 12-15 mana on the board and then being reduced to only 5-6 lands? That would be catastrophic for a control deck. Think about it like this: Which aspects of the game do I want to control? There are a few avenues that you can take, especially considering the color choice that you decide to make;

1) Hand control/Discard/Exile from the hand
2) Field control/ Creature removal/ Spell cancelling/Battle lock-down
3) Graveyard control/ Exile
4) Deck control/ Mill/ Forced card draw recursion/Targeted removal
5) Life control/ extort style of playing/Force them to pay mana to play their own spells

You can choose any of these methods and your deck, considering the colors that you choose, should run smoothly. First look at your inventory of cards, then decide HOW you want to play. IGNORE THE META and ask yourself, What can I make this deck do to the best of its abilities. Just remember, in magic there is a card for everything so side boarding will always fix most problems. Your deck core should be your focus and personally I do not believe that "man-lands" should be your driving force behind this deck. Awakening cards are cheap and good to play but if you're adamant about using those spells then you might want to limit yourself to how many lands you turn into creatures. Either that or add like 30-35 lands to your deck and create CONSTANT landfall triggers but it all falls on you pal.