deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Planeswalker weaknesses?  (Read 7815 times)

Lapos Casas

• Decks
Re: Planeswalker weaknesses?
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2016, 12:47:47 am »
Well i played a lot against planeswalker and i can t tell exactily what is the best to do (because there' re a lot of them), but  the simpliest way to keep them  under control is to deal damage that hit player (and then redirect to planeswalker) with bolt-kind spell soo you can block his best ability or even destroy them because they are pretty weak (except Karn or Ugin they are just giant)you are using a red and black deck soo you can run Lightning Bolt or lava spike those are a awesome 1 red drop that is always good  ;D .

i hope i helped you.

byeeee

Jace27

• Combo+Combo=More combos :)
  • Decks
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2016, 02:18:11 am »
I meant lightning axe for trample with Rush of Adrenaline.
For my opponents, a healthy diet of counterspells, artifacts, and crazy combos.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2016, 07:04:54 am »
   Here's a hypothetical question since we're on the topic of dealing damage: If I play lightning Axe on a creature that is enchanted with spiteful shadows, could the damage being dealt to the player through the enchantment be directed towards a planeswalker?

NathanJ

• Decks
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2016, 08:48:35 am »
Using Planeswalkers as a distraction... That's actually won me a few games.. ::)

As for trample damage, you wouldn't need to redirect it even if you could. You just throw the trampler at the walker and do damage with the excess. Not sure if that was clarified above, so I just wanted to point that out. The damage is already assigned to the walker.

And I don't think axe/shadows combo would work as the wording on Spiteful Shadows specifies that the redirect is aimed at the creature's controller. A Planeswalker card is not controlling that creature.

Bartley

• Greetings!
  • Decks
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2016, 04:31:13 pm »
   Here's a hypothetical question since we're on the topic of dealing damage: If I play lightning Axe on a creature that is enchanted with spiteful shadows, could the damage being dealt to the player through the enchantment be directed towards a planeswalker?

actually yeah that could work.   Spiteful shadows is dealing non combat damage to the player... and non combat damage can ALWAYS be redirected to a planeswalker.   Nice find.

Same as dealing damage with a guttersnipe... it hits player, then direct damage to planeswalker.

Long story short... anything except life loss that hits a player, whether is targeting or each opponent, is considered non combat and can be redirected to planeswalker:)

« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 04:44:03 pm by Bartley »

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2016, 05:14:51 pm »
   @Bartley, Thanks man for the clarification. It looks like my modern harvest pyre + Spiteful shadows combo will work wonders now against planeswalkers.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2016, 06:33:30 pm »
Bartley beat me to it,

Spiteful Shadows doesn't recognize what type of damage it is, so it is just damage and can be redirected. It only deals just damage to the opponent.
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2016, 06:44:29 pm »
   I hope this little discovery gives everyone some ideas. @Skeri, if you decide to build Modern or Casual decks keep this in mind.

Bartley

• Greetings!
  • Decks
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2016, 06:48:12 pm »
   I hope this little discovery gives everyone some ideas. @Skeri, if you decide to build Modern or Casual decks keep this in mind.

I dealt with a lot of these thoughts when I was creating my planeswalker deck.
http://deckstats.net/decks/43244/497986-attack-of-the-plains-superfrie/en

luckly Faith's Shield and Comeuppance exist:)
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 06:53:52 pm by Bartley »

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2016, 06:02:00 am »
   @Bartley, so basically your deck is; "Build me an army!, and give me some life while you're at it." But don't forget that Mill tactics and discarding are also things to look out for. Burn and combat damage aren't the only ways to win a match. 

Bartley

• Greetings!
  • Decks
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2016, 03:51:11 pm »
   @Bartley, so basically your deck is; "Build me an army!, and give me some life while you're at it." But don't forget that Mill tactics and discarding are also things to look out for. Burn and combat damage aren't the only ways to win a match.

yeah agreed...   

add that to the list... planes walkers weak to mill:) haha

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2016, 05:08:22 pm »
   Honestly I'm not sure if white has any real graveyard recursion. But if you add cards such as epitaph golem to your deck then you can constantly return planeswalkers (which are CARDS) to your deck for only two mana. I think that Shadows over innistrad opened up quite a few new ways to play this time around.

Bartley

• Greetings!
  • Decks
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2016, 06:14:36 pm »
   Honestly I'm not sure if white has any real graveyard recursion. But if you add cards such as epitaph golem to your deck then you can constantly return planeswalkers (which are CARDS) to your deck for only two mana. I think that Shadows over innistrad opened up quite a few new ways to play this time around.

yeah even if there are cards... there is the chance that card could get milled haha.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2016, 06:26:01 pm »
   Sounds like Mono-white has more issues than most. Would you consider adding cards such as psychic spiral or maybe adding some green graveyard recursion? W/U and G/W can be pretty strong colors when you build your deck properly. If you so chose to you can still keep your theme while a the same time covering your bases with the secondary color you choose to add. But if your deck works and you like it the way it is then by all means keep it. If it ain't broke then don't fix it.

Bartley

• Greetings!
  • Decks
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2016, 07:00:56 pm »
   Sounds like Mono-white has more issues than most. Would you consider adding cards such as psychic spiral or maybe adding some green graveyard recursion? W/U and G/W can be pretty strong colors when you build your deck properly. If you so chose to you can still keep your theme while a the same time covering your bases with the secondary color you choose to add. But if your deck works and you like it the way it is then by all means keep it. If it ain't broke then don't fix it.

of course you could change the deck to have a defense vs Mill... but that would open up the weakness to everything else.

Considering most people don't play Mill... I'm gonna leave it as is, cause you can always swap to a burn deck :)