deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Life/Death  (Read 899 times)

mongoosa

• Obsessed with the cardboard crack
  • Decks
Life/Death
« on: August 26, 2014, 04:00:05 pm »
Life/Death

Life gain with a focus on multiple sources of life gain to pump Ajani's Pridemate in the early game and to drop Serra's Avatar as a big bomb late game.

BeauJangles

• Decks
Re: Life/Death
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 04:54:45 pm »
IMO; take out the scrubland, there is no point in having 1 dual and locking yourself in legacy, there are other viable duals, and less expensive.

I would increase soul wardens to 4, the combo with Ajani's Pridemate if there are 2 or 3 in play is very strong. And considering adding a similar spell such as Nyx-Fleece Ram which serves as a viable blocker early.

3 Life's Finale seems excessive. How often are you going to need to destroy ALL creatures? I would drop to 1, and SB others if need be.

Finally, if the strategy is to pump the Pridemate until Avatar comes down, i would add some spells that protect them. Ajani's Presence is solid, or any sort of "protection from" spell.

Hope this helps!

mongoosa

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2014, 05:08:08 pm »
I do only have 2 Life's Finale in the deck, I must have entered that incorrectly but you are probably right about dropping to 1 anyway.  The ram would be a perfect addition as well.  Great advice, thank you. 

mongoosa

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2014, 05:32:12 pm »
4 Serra Ascendent or 4 Rhox Faithmender?

Drunk Cynic

• Abusing the Terrible and Neglected
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 10:20:52 pm »
Pull down your mana curve. If the pumping Ajani in the early game is the goal, focus on the small life gains over Large swings in life. Wall of Essence may give you more value than Rhox Faithmender; early gains for Ajani versus late term win more on the Avatar.

Perpetual Johnny. Interactions and originality are preferable to winning, though winning doesn't hurt.
If I throw statistics at you, they likely came from:
http://stattrek.com/online-calculator/hypergeometric.aspx

mongoosa

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2014, 01:13:20 pm »
Good point, Cynic. There is another wall that I am looking at that uses your life gain to punish your opponent, but I can't remember the name. 
Thanks for all the advice on this deck, btw.  It's my first attempt at a Modern legal deck since I was out of the game for a long time and they didn't have tournament classifications when I was playing.

Drunk Cynic

• Abusing the Terrible and Neglected
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2014, 03:44:09 pm »
Perpetual Johnny. Interactions and originality are preferable to winning, though winning doesn't hurt.
If I throw statistics at you, they likely came from:
http://stattrek.com/online-calculator/hypergeometric.aspx

mongoosa

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2014, 03:54:20 pm »
That's would be the one.

Teep

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 04:19:44 pm »
have you tested this deck well? i was thinking of making a deck simular to this one but didnt know how it would work espeically to me, it seems a bit slow(im new to magic so idk much about it)

mongoosa

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2014, 05:27:49 pm »
I have tested an earlier version of it and it did really well in multi-player, but was average in head-to-head.  After trimming some of the fat and making a few changes, most of which are reflected in the decklist here, it has sped up a bit.  If you can get a couple Ajani's Pridemate out and pumped, they draw most of the attention as you gain life and they gain strength which gives you the time to get land out.  Plus, it is pretty cool to drop a Serra Avatar that is upwards of 40/40.  One of the biggest issues for me was land drops, which I am working on adjusting.