deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Auto Pump for Ajani  (Read 1108 times)

mongoosa

• Obsessed with the cardboard crack
  • Decks
Auto Pump for Ajani
« on: August 26, 2014, 09:14:50 pm »
If I have a Soul Warden (for example) in play and put down Ajani's Pridemate, would Ajani get the +1/+1 the turn he comes in to play since I gain life for him going to the battlefield?

zackatakr

• UB at heart, Naya Zoo on the Battlefield.
  • Decks
Re: Auto Pump for Ajani
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2014, 03:04:32 am »
Yeah, that sounds like it would stack up. Let's say Soul Warden is already down. Ajani's Pridemate is cast, and Soul Warden's ability triggers. Ajani's Pridemate would be 1st in the stack, and after it resolves, Soul Warden's ability will resolve, giving you a life, which will trigger Ajani's Pridemate's ability, which gives it a +1/+1 counter.
Naya Zoo
Grixis Delver
UG Infect
Modern Mardu Threaten
UR Ensoul Artifact
Meren Combo
Prossh, the One Hit Wonder
Bruna, Light of Aggrochantments

mongoosa

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 01:26:45 pm »
That's what I thought.  Thanks!

Drunk Cynic

• Abusing the Terrible and Neglected
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2014, 10:14:12 pm »
Yeah, that sounds like it would stack up. Let's say Soul Warden is already down. Ajani's Pridemate is cast, and Soul Warden's ability triggers. Ajani's Pridemate would be 1st in the stack, and after it resolves, Soul Warden's ability will resolve, giving you a life, which will trigger Ajani's Pridemate's ability, which gives it a +1/+1 counter.
Right answer, wrong diagnosis.
With Soul Warden in play controlled by you, you cast Ajani's Pridemate. When Ajani's Pridemate resolves, it enters the battlefield. The Triggered ability of Soul Warden happens, and enters the stack. When it resolves, you gain one life, activating the triggered ability of Ajani's Pridemate. When it resolves, a +1/+1 counter goes on Ajani's Pridemate if he is still in play.
Perpetual Johnny. Interactions and originality are preferable to winning, though winning doesn't hurt.
If I throw statistics at you, they likely came from:
http://stattrek.com/online-calculator/hypergeometric.aspx

mongoosa

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 01:14:41 pm »
So, is it possible for someone to take him out with direct damage, for example, prior to the +1/+1 counter taking effect?

Drunk Cynic

• Abusing the Terrible and Neglected
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 04:18:35 pm »
Yes, an instant speed direct damage effect could be placed on the stack in response to the Soul Warden's triggered ability, and it would resolve first.
Perpetual Johnny. Interactions and originality are preferable to winning, though winning doesn't hurt.
If I throw statistics at you, they likely came from:
http://stattrek.com/online-calculator/hypergeometric.aspx

mongoosa

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 04:34:43 pm »
Interesting.  I would never have thought of that.  Thank you.