deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Modern] Shadowheart Control  (Read 382 times)

Dracovitch

• Apathy Incarnate
  • Decks
[Modern] Shadowheart Control
« on: September 19, 2014, 02:48:52 am »
Shadowheart Control

My "pet deck" for 60 card games. A Modern tournament worthy "creatureless" deck that utilizes various planeswalkers to control the board while you use a host of removal spells to handle threats. Despite the price tag and number of high value cards, this deck was built on a budget and quite a number of cards were sold to build it. But at least I have my all time favorite deck built.

LANDS
Shocklands and the Mardu tri-land. The shocklands were chosen over fetchlands as I had several of the shocks already and they were cheaper than the fetchlands. Nomad Outpost is something I've been hoping would get printed for ages, so I figured I'd try it out. It replaced Reflecting Pools, which I was not happy with in the deck.

PLANESWALKERS
One of each 'walker for the corresponding color combination. One of the few remaining "original ideas" that has remained with the deck throughout its existence, and certainly isn't going anywhere. Each walker was chosen to help the deck along in some way. Vengeant, while being the only RW walker to choose from, can help with tapping down pesky threats as well as use his built in Helix to deal damage an offset life loss from the many cards that hurt me in my own deck. Firebrand is in the deck almost entirely for her second ability that allows me to copy all my most important spells. I am going to test out Pyromaster in place of Firebrand as the +1 is better and her 0 works well with the over all low cost of the deck. Tirel was chosen for her life gain (to offset damage) and her ability to pump out tokens. Due to Vengant no mono white Ajani cards were considered, and testing of using Knight-Errant or Sun's Champion hasn't been started yet. Veil Lilli is best Lili... or for that matter the best mono black PW we have. Good lord that price tag. Mad Sarkhan is the only RB 'walker, but his first ability does grant some nice advantage and has come in handy quite a bit. Lord of Innistrad is better for this deck than Solemn Visitor. the Lifelink tokens come in handy and can be spammed easier, plus his creature buff is permanent, making it more valuable late game.

ARTIFACTS
I always run a single copy of Elixir in every deck I make, it's just a nice 5 life and grave reset for games where I dump a lot of spells to avoid running out of gas to quickly. Also the off chance of mill and it helps when 'walkers get the axe to quickly. Ensnaring bridge is a lovely creature deterrent with the over all low cost of the deck and is a great way to stall out aggro decks.

INSTANTS
Do I really need to explain Bolt? Fiiiiine. Bolt is the bestest cheapest damagest in Modernest. Helix is good damage with added life gain (noticing that 'offset' pattern yet). Path is highly efficient creature removal and the drawback is negligible. I have a ridiculous affection for both Crackling Doom and Utter End. Both are in the deck for testing purposes and probably will stick for a good while. Utter End is mostly to help out against noncreature cards.

SORCERIES
Inquisition is a wonderful early game drop, and because I didn't think Thoughtseize was a wise choice with its life loss. I have a lot self damaging cards as it is (also price tag). Sign in blood was the best card draw I could come up with that fit with the deck's style.

SIDEBOARD
The Sideboard is comprised of cards that were either in the deck at one point, or cards to handle hyper aggro decks. It really just gives me a toolbox for less serious games or if I need that little extra "oomph." Chances are it won't change much at all unless something gets printed that really turns a current SB card on its head.
Good luck, have fun, and don't die.