deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Mono Green (almost mill)(almost standard)  (Read 786 times)

hunterchrist

• Decks
Mono Green (almost mill)(almost standard)
« on: September 30, 2014, 04:45:03 pm »
Mono Green Mill (almost standard)

a basic mill deck i put together using cards i already own, based around the return to battlefield effects of phytotitan and meandering towershell.as well as return from play effect of invasive species. and return from graveyard effects of wildwood rebirth
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 06:17:15 pm by hunterchrist »

Vic Hattenshue

• Decks
Re: Mono Green Mill (almost standard)
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2014, 05:32:18 pm »
Hi,

The deck seems to be a little bit lacking in mill components for what you describe as a mill deck, it seems much more aggro-orientated.

With the big ol' Islandwalker might you not be better off dropping the mill side of things and think of a way to "give" your opponents islands, as you state the deck is almost standard this could be anything, e.g. Aquitect's Will, Quicksilver Fountain, Myr Landshaper, etc.

Finally, personally speaking I am not a fan of the gain one life cards (Staff of the Wild Magus), IMHO you would be better served with some mana ramp (Burnished Hart) or Sakura Tribe Elder to get to where you want to be a bit quicker rather than planning for the game to "go long". The hart can be used as a blocker to prevent some combat damage and then sac'd prior to damage being applied to get you two land.

Anyways just some thoughts.
...for I am a stranger in a strange land!

hunterchrist

• Decks
Re: Mono Green Mill (almost standard)
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2014, 06:16:12 pm »
i had planned on searching up some artifact or green cards that will alow me to go looking for the altar of brood, as such each turn i have a maximum possibilility of around 48 cards milled per turn if played right just through creatures. not incuding lands or tokens i could create using soul of zendicar, so its still a work in progress

Vic Hattenshue

• Decks
Re: Mono Green (almost mill)(almost standard)
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2014, 06:42:51 pm »
Fair enough but you currently have got a lot of 5 & 6 drops and only a bit of mana-ramp.

It seems that most of your come- back-in-to-play creatures come into play on the next turn, a lot of your other stuff is return to hand not battlefield so you would have to cast it again - this all seems really mana-intensive.

I would have thought anything cheaper than 6mana that brings a token with it, any returns to battlefield effect (undying or persist) or blinks itself (e.g. lands such as ghost town, undiscovered paradise) or others (conjurer's closet) would work faster.

With the undying creatures when they die for the second time you could return them from the grave and cast them again. Then in the meantime you will have chump-blockers to preserve your life total whilst you get stuff together to mill.

It's the same with the two sac & ramp creatures I mentioned above, they both bring in one or two other permanents (basic land) when they die which will then further activate your Altar and in the meantime they provide some protection so that's three functions from one cheap card.

Without an in-depth analysis my initial impression is that any weeny / aggro deck or deck with flying/evasion with kill you before you really get going.

Maybe the best thing is to try it out on-line with Cockatrice (or similar) or play test it with friends.

Vic Hattenshue

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2014, 06:44:19 pm »
Also not sure what the Ancient Silverback are bringing to the party as they are only regen and not return to play.

hunterchrist

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2014, 07:01:20 pm »
i was having a hard time deciding weither i want some form of bear or the silverback in hindsite the bear is better. but in testing a similar deck i can get the games to last about 20 turns allowing me to get big creatures and mill quite well
but i am open to suggestions this is just a deck i through togethr using mostly cards i lready own

Vic Hattenshue

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2014, 07:18:28 pm »
Sure thing - I am all for building decks with the cards you've already got! and I think that your choice of the altar could work really well.

I am just concerned you would get squashed before you get going. Cheaper creatures with multi-function use, as well as more mana-ramp and some defence might be your friend there.

It all depends who you regularly play against and what they're packing.

My play group draft a lot and have access to a big selection of cards so I am always in an arms race to try and stay competitive and not be mashed! I could be wrong but I think it used to be more fun when we had less stuff.

All the best.

Drunk Cynic

• Abusing the Terrible and Neglected
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 07:42:05 pm »
As stated; there is next to no ramp and a very steep mana curve, with fourteen 6 converted mana cost creatures. You would be better off with Roaring Primadox and cheap creatures.

I have been considering ways to fold Altar of the Brood into this deck: Karametra - Rush fan. Recursion of cheap creatures; lands from Karametra count as creatures.
Perpetual Johnny. Interactions and originality are preferable to winning, though winning doesn't hurt.
If I throw statistics at you, they likely came from:
http://stattrek.com/online-calculator/hypergeometric.aspx