deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Massive Noob here! Blue/Green Deck CC Welcome!  (Read 623 times)

Snowfalle

• Blue/Green Mage
  • Decks
Massive Noob here! Blue/Green Deck CC Welcome!
« on: April 27, 2015, 09:48:53 pm »
Hi there! I've only been playing for a few weeks now, and I love the game! I made this Blue/Green deck and I'd absolutely love some constructive criticism from all the experts here!

Thank you in advance, I really appreciate the help!

- Snowfalle

http://deckstats.net/decks/36372/237927-first-blue-green-deck-cc-welco/en

ChrisoferElf

• Decks
Re: Massive Noob here! Blue/Green Deck CC Welcome!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2015, 12:01:15 am »
Hey there, I'm Kindof a noob myself.  One thing I can tell you, if you are running blue and green get a hold of a few Prophet of Kruphix and 3 or 4 fleetfeather cockatrice.  Also that looks like some card from the Kiora deck with no Kiora....Why no Kiora???  I need to update this a little to match the actual deck, but this is what I did with my Kiora deck.  This version was built for 5 in 5 out (starting with 5 mana, and 5 face down so mana gets played every turn), In the updated version I have shuffled in some lower cost cards and more land to make it friendlier to normal rules. http://deckstats.net/decks/36095/235749-kiora-s-whelming-wave/en

As for a critique, not bad but I would say try and theme it a little.  You don't want all of one type of creature, but you do want several of one type.  I themed mine around that Whelming wave card that you also have..
cheers!
Also, I wonder if Whelming wave will become valuable just because of the spelling error....octopuses....lol!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 12:10:41 am by ChrisoferElf »

ozfan2

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 12:39:01 am »
As a player who has been playing for more than 2/3 of my life, I would go ahead and say to try to get multiple copies of the cards you play. 1 Jace's ingenuity just isn't good enough. In addition, I would advise against playing cards like Inkwell Leviathan or Simic Sky Swallower unless you have lots of mana dorks. That is, cards like Elvish Mystic, Sylvan Caryatid, or Opaline Unicorn. I recommend about 8-10 for your deck. Also, 30 land is a bit excessive in a 60 card deck (always try to stay near 60 BTW.) try like 24. Cut cards like Ancient Carp or Shaman of Spring, which don't do very much for four or five mana. These are the best pieces of deckbuilding advice that I can give to a new player.

Snowfalle

• Blue/Green Mage
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 03:20:23 am »
Thank you both, ChrisoferElf and ozfan2! I will definitely implement all your card suggestions and additions. I'm really excited to see how your advice will improve my game!

Also will use the term "Mana Dorks" from now on as I believe it is a technical term.

Also, also, will keep my WHelming WHave card in my collection until it is worth at least 100 octopuses!

ChrisoferElf

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2015, 03:32:17 am »
As a player who has been playing for more than 2/3 of my life, I would go ahead and say to try to get multiple copies of the cards you play. 1 Jace's ingenuity just isn't good enough. In addition, I would advise against playing cards like Inkwell Leviathan or Simic Sky Swallower unless you have lots of mana dorks. That is, cards like Elvish Mystic, Sylvan Caryatid, or Opaline Unicorn. I recommend about 8-10 for your deck. Also, 30 land is a bit excessive in a 60 card deck (always try to stay near 60 BTW.) try like 24. Cut cards like Ancient Carp or Shaman of Spring, which don't do very much for four or five mana. These are the best pieces of deckbuilding advice that I can give to a new player.
Excellent advice, as I said I am still kind of a noob myself.  But one point I will argue is the value of a card like Inkwell Leviathan (but only a few power cards like this), even without too many mana dorks... the trick in this deck is to play it during the players turn directly after your turn when you play prophet of kruphix ;).  And having multiples of cards that do well is really good advice as well, although you need to weigh the worth of having multiples in the deck.  Prophet of kruphix for example, the ability dosen't stack, (and wouldn't need to) and is game changing enough that if you get to use the ability only once, you have an advantage.  I chose to put in two instead of four.  When you play a game, and think... "dammn i need to draw that card", thats a card you need more of.

Snowfalle

• Blue/Green Mage
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2015, 03:56:24 am »
That "damn I need to draw that card" feeling is real. Usually for me that card was any mana card at all. The only problems I've run into so far with this deck is the luck (or lack thereof) of the shuffle, and getting all my big ass creatures first and no mana to play them with.

That being said, I just added another Elvish Mystic, Whisperer of the Wilds and Explosive Vegetation for the time being. You've sold me on the Prophet of Kruphix and I'll have to get my hands on some of those ASAP!