deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Instantly Screwed: $20 Deck That Will Shame Their $250 Deck - Comments  (Read 3577 times)

MediumWell

• Decks

Draico

• Decks
Re: Instantly Screwed: $20 Deck That Will Shame Their $250 Deck - Comments
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2015, 04:28:55 pm »
I actually don't see the point how this deck will do anything against another modern deck.
Sorry guys, but I consider that totally crap.

dl_wraith

• Decks
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2015, 10:55:53 am »
I run the Gelectrode, Spellheart Chimera, Essence Backlash setup in my Izzet pingers deck and I have to say that essence backlash has won me huge games against green and blue decks (or anything with big mid-late game creatures) but is lackluster against white and red. I found that Red deck wins of any flavour and white based soldier or warrior token decks outpace this style of deck easily and by the time you've set up the Chimeras you are already so far behind it's difficult to claw back.

The inclusion of Riverfall Mimic and Mindswipe is genius in this cheap deck (can I steal these ideas please? :) ) and shouldn't be underestimated on how much damage they can output. Remember, the spellhearts get bigger the more spells you're casting and 3/3 unblockables for pretty much every turn will whittle your opponent away in no time.

Consider Goblin Elecromancer to get faster and sideboard a few Nivix Cyclops for when you need to change up to being more defensive (these slow the deck's capability down somewhat. Be aware of that). For multiplayer consider switching in the Nivix Cyclopses anyway and add some lobber crew - hilarious fun.

This deck is normally weak to flyers so the inclusion of Dragonshift is a good call. Izzet charm gives you potential gas or spot removal (pseudo-shock) but you could do with more counter or burn to deal with other problem creatures. Double Negative is a good shout for extra countering and sticks with the theme of the deck while Counterflux may be a cheaper alternative. You could use Electrolyze as extra burn if you need it rather than dropping in mono-red shock or similar and weakening your Riverfall Mimic.

MediumWell's suggestion of Winterflame is a great one. Against aggro-heavy setups extra cheap (in mana and in price)  multicolour creatures such as frostburn weird can be a boon. Still triggers your shennanigans and can be turned from defense to offense more effectively than Nivix cyclops.

Sideboard in Cerebral Vortex for more direct damage fun against card draw engines and watch them weep!     

Love this deck and it looks quite customizable. I certainly have fun with my own build and it does quite well against other modern decks, particularly stompy decks. This is no Tier 2 but you'll give your opponents pause for thought, you'll win some matches at your FLGS and you'll have fun doing it with a very cheap deck that very few others will be using - what's not to like about that?

Thanks for sharing.

Da5id

• Decks
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2015, 07:10:03 am »
just picked up this deck from TCG, only waiting for the Riverfall Mimic to arrive. I am really interested in trying it out tomorrow at FNM.

max2519

• Decks
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2016, 02:40:21 pm »
Hi,
i would replace Shrewd Hatchling with Guttersnipe

Notchbeard

• Carpe Diem
  • Decks
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2016, 01:51:50 pm »
@max2519: Nope. Guttersnipe is going to consistently do less damage than Shrewd Hatchling and IMHO Guttersnipes are just living dartboards, with 2 health they are far too easy to remove.

@Da5id: Lemme know how that went, I have a blast with it at my FNM.

@dl_wraith: Thanks for the feedback man! People seem to enjoy this one that is sure, I try to have as many deck types, playstyles etc for when friends want to play. Frostburn Wierd almost made it in :) That Nivix Cyclops is really nice and is one I missed thanks for pointing it out I may give it a go. As for no tier 2, I don't think anyone could make a $20 deck to compete with that :) Cheers

@Draico: Consider these three facts; 1. Do a google search for "Izzet Modern" then look at how many pros are running 1/2 the cards in this deck and the only ones Im not are too expensive for the $20 theme, 2. You have 40 karma. No one cares about what you consider something on this site, maybe try doing more and that apology to the general public would have made sense. 3. This deck will manhandle every one of the decks you have on your Modern list. Its only 15 bucks buy it and watch it melt the face off yours lol.

@MediumWell:  Goblin Electromancer is a good card but with how cheap most things are and the fact that every card requires red and blue its effect is miniscule at best here, Winterflame is a solid card as well as dirty cheap Izzet Charm fills this functional void, and Wee Dragonauts was one I considered when I put the list together and opted to go with a focus on unblockable instead of flying :)
The notchiest of beards.

Metal MMA

• Decks
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2016, 10:49:26 pm »
Hey Notchbeard, i am a Brazilian fan of your $20 decks - I am finishing that monoblack Withering Infections exactly as you made, I am missing buy only 2 Kulrath Knight and the 2 Midnight Banshee.

If you allow me to tell a suggestion, when you put this decks, make a sideboard too. Many guys as me plays MtG as "Mesão" (big table) as we say - 3 or more players, all against all.

Greetings from Brazil, you are a guy that understand MtG a lot!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 01:04:34 am by Metal MMA »

zimiscrazy

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2016, 10:31:08 pm »
Interesting deck..

CowsMooingNSuch

• Decks
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2016, 10:34:25 pm »
it looks interesting but it is rather slow for modern.

Metal MMA

• Decks
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2016, 09:45:13 pm »
I bought this deck (2nd revision), but I dont find Swerve, Clout of the Dominus, Mirror Sheen, Blistercoil Weird, Gelectrode and Nivmagus Elemental. To complete the deck with blue and red cards, I put Inside Out, Unnerving Assault, Crag Puca, Fluxcharger, Goblin Electromancer, Leap of Flame, Schismotivate, Stitch in Time, Stream Hopper and Stormchaser Mage. And I am using Izzet Boilerworks instead Izzet Guildgate, it's working a lot good too.
I will keep searching for the "original" cards, but even without them, it's the best deck I have. I am thinking to put a Keranos, God of Storms too.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 09:47:51 pm by Metal MMA »

Daku72

• Decks
Hi!, awesome deck, I have almost half the cards, so I'll try putting it together! Have you thought about Kiln Fiend? I really love that card, it's like a cheaper Nivix Cyclops, I wouldn't recommend swapping them anyways, but maybe put Kiln Fiend instead of another card?

Metal MMA

• Decks
Hi!, awesome deck, I have almost half the cards, so I'll try putting it together! Have you thought about Kiln Fiend? I really love that card, it's like a cheaper Nivix Cyclops, I wouldn't recommend swapping them anyways, but maybe put Kiln Fiend instead of another card?
Bro, the only problem with Kiln Fiend in this deck is that it's an only red card, and every other cards are blue and red or hybrid cards.

I made mine a little different - I didn't put Nivmagus Elemental, Gelectrode and Swerve and I replace with Dragonshift and Teleportal (4 each), that are cards with a powerful effect when you cast with overload cost.

In Brazil, MtG players likes a lot play monored burn and one of the favourite cards is Kiln Fiend - so it is a little expensive. My 8 Dragonshift and Teleportal cards were cheaper than only one Kiln Fiend...

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
What about spells that have dual color casting costs? For example, geistblast is a mono red card, but if it's in the graveyard you use Blue to play it. Would you be interested in utilizing cards such as those or are are you strictly hybrid/ dual colored cards? The card itself you might not want to use sine it removes itself from the graveyard, but harness the storm does essentially the same thing.

v33n33m

• Decks
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2016, 10:59:56 am »
Honestly I don't know how this deck got so many likes... I really want to like this deck because the idea of a 20 dollar deck beating a 250 dollar deck is great but it's not really like that.

So far I've won 1 time with this deck out of the 5 or 6 times I tried. I have a lot of winning decks and I'd say i'm in the top 3 at my FNM but I can't get this to work. Even when trying to modify for the 2nd time I just doesn't have enough by the time anything remotely starts happening the opponents are already unstoppable or beaten my face in.

BUT my format is 2HG so maybe that is the problem.. I can see this doing doing OK 1v1 for what you pay but to say you can beat 200 dollar decks is a little far fetched

Hawjik

• Decks
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2016, 01:11:46 pm »
hey there,
I have a few suggestions for this Deck. I dont see a reason to play cards 3 Times, wich are as good and Important as blistercoil werid or riverfall Mimic.
I'd rather Play four of these and cut the high end of the manacurve.
I also think, that twenty lands are way to less for so Many 4 Mana spells, so there is another reason to cut them.
It still shoud be possible to run a few Monocolored cards (Maybe Vapor snag and bolt, even if they are a little expensive).
The guildgates aren't that usefull as well, since they always come into play tapped (back to basics maybe?).
Mirror sheen is not that usefull as wel, since there aren't that Many cards you play, that target yourself and you also don't want to leave the Mana open, just in case your Opponent wants to cast something targeting you (he also sees the card on the battlefield, so he wouldn't be so suprised if you copy his spells).

The Idea is fine, I also plaied a Deck like this for 20€, but again, with some more interaction und playsets > 3 cards.

Kind regards, Hawjik