deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Autor Tópico: G/W bolster deck opinions and advice wanted  (Lida 4770 vezes)

Tsunglasses

• Decks
G/W bolster deck opinions and advice wanted
« em: Julho 21, 2015, 10:08:11 am »
This is my personal deck and currently i think its in a good state(at least until khans rotates out) any advice or thought about my deck would be very much appreciated This is my first actual deck since im fairly new to Magic(started with the M15 video game) and i would like to know if im making really huge mistakes. i know my deck has its faults against aggro decks and control decks but i think its in a decent spot for a mid range deck
anyways i thank anyone in advance who decides to take the time to give me any advice
** Made a couple edits to the deck, i removed a couple cards and replaced them with other one i basically cut down on token generation and added more non creature spells
*** made another edit from cards i found in my collection i currently have all these cards and i dont have much to buy new cards at the moment what do you guys think
Deck: Green/White Bolster

//Land
8 Forest
13 Plains
4 Blossoming Sands

//Creatures
4 Servant of the Scale
3 Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
3 Avatar of the Resolute
4 Hidden Dragonslayer
4 Abzan Falconer
3 Dragonscale General
2 Dromoka, the Eternal

//Spells
4 Dromoka's Command
4 Pacifism
2 Gleam of Authority
2 Inspiring Call

Display deck statistics
« Última modificação: Julho 25, 2015, 08:17:34 am por Tsunglasses »

themightyjang

• Decks
Re: G/W bolster deck opinions and advice wanted
« Responder #1 em: Julho 21, 2015, 03:36:47 pm »
I think that Dragonlord Dromoka is not the best heavy hitter for this deck.  Something like Elite Scaleguard might let you beatdown a little better.

I also think that a card like Map the Wastes might be good for some ramp, since the many of the creatures you've selected have mana abilities.

Speaking of which, perhaps too many of your creatures have mana abilities - it will be tough to play cards as you draw them and still activate your creatures' abilities.

It looks like you are hoping for a combo between Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit and cards like Herald of Anafenza and Secure the Wastes, (perhaps I am wrong) but keep in mind Anafenza's ability only works on non-tokens.

Finally, you might want to consider some enchantment/artifact hate.  Something like Abzan Advantage fits your theme, and you have enough tokens that something like Sundering Growth could be an option.
« Última modificação: Julho 21, 2015, 05:41:30 pm por themightyjang »

Tsunglasses

• Decks
« Responder #2 em: Julho 21, 2015, 10:33:11 pm »
I do feel the same way about dromoka but thats all i have for now. And im not really looking for a combo with Anafenza and the tokens. I simply have her there cause she is good and one of my favorite cards. if i where to add some of your reccomendations what do you suggest i remove?

JoeyBoey1

• Decks
« Responder #3 em: Julho 22, 2015, 09:53:51 pm »
Deck: Untitled Deck

//Lands
10 Forest
10 Plains

//Spells
4 Collected Company
1 Ajani, Mentor of Heroes
4 Dromoka's Command
2 Gleam of Authority
4 Hardened Scales
3 Inspiring Call

//Creatures
2 Abzan Battle Priest
2 Abzan Falconer
3 Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
4 Avatar of the Resolute
1 Dragonscale General
4 Servant of the Scale
2 Tuskguard Captain
4 Warden of the First Tree

//Sideboard
1 Tuskguard Captain

Deckstatistik anzeigen

Hi this are my thoughts about the deck. I put in a few cards:
Inspiring Call for a card draw and its ability to protect your card. You will always play this card  in your opponents turn even you just wanna draw cards or after he declared his blockers in your attack step.
Dromoka's Command it is good in several situations. Against red decks, enchantment decks and it can destroy a creature and put a counter on one of your creatures.
Scale Blessing you might not wanna put this card in your deck. I think it is optional
Hardened Scales take care it is a replacement effect!

Servant of the Scale this is one of the Key Cards. It works quite well with the Avatar of the Resolute and Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
« Última modificação: Julho 29, 2015, 01:47:01 am por JoeyBoey1 »

Drunk Cynic

• Abusing the Terrible and Neglected
  • Decks
« Responder #4 em: Julho 22, 2015, 10:02:30 pm »
Enduring Scalelord may be your friend.

Consider prioritizing on fewer effects (trample, flying, lifelink).

All of your token generation is going to dilute the impact of your bolster effects.

On the above deck: four lands short. 24 lands should be a sweet spot, especially considering the number of double mana costs in the deck.
« Última modificação: Julho 22, 2015, 10:10:47 pm por drunkcynic »
Perpetual Johnny. Interactions and originality are preferable to winning, though winning doesn't hurt.
If I throw statistics at you, they likely came from:
https://stattrek.com/online-calculator/hypergeometric.aspx

Tsunglasses

• Decks
« Responder #5 em: Julho 23, 2015, 08:39:55 am »
Thanks to all of your tips i decided to change the deck a bit  i Edited the my first post to show the newer deck and i think this is the bes i can do from what i currently have I'm still open to any ideas anyone might have

Soulless

• Decks
« Responder #6 em: Julho 23, 2015, 09:46:35 am »

Tsunglasses

• Decks
« Responder #7 em: Julho 23, 2015, 10:16:32 am »
this is for standard btw

kurufal

• Decks
« Responder #8 em: Julho 23, 2015, 07:48:55 pm »
I never really liked Bolster due to its caveat (It chooses the creature you put the counters on based on toughness). Here is my counter deck updated with Origins.

https://deck.tk/1Kgw36jc

Deck: G/W Counters

//Lands
12 Forest
5 Plains
4 Temple of Plenty
4 Windswept Heath

//Spells
2 Ajani, Mentor of Heroes
4 Dromoka's Command
3 Gods Willing
4 Hardened Scales
3 Inspiring Call
3 Solidarity of Heroes

//Creatures
3 Abzan Battle Priest
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Fleecemane Lion
4 Managorger Hydra
1 Woodland Bellower

Display deck statistics
If you want to keep the Bolster ability as the theme of this deck then the first thing I would suggest is choosing either green or white and only running double color requirements for whichever one you choose. Running it for both might mess you up on your turn 2 if you draw wrong.

-Edit: Explainations for cards:

Green White Counters. Managorger going to be huge! It may be possible to run Nykthos in this deck for green devotion as well.

Main Combo's: 4 of cards that are essential: You want a set or similar in your starting hand of a few of these cards to play off of:
 - Managorger Hydra - Gets real big real fast. Can easily avoid removal from spells like Bile Blight by triggering cheap spells on the stack. Will always allow you to draw a card and get an indestructible creature with Inspiring Call.
 - Hardened Scales - Huge synergy with Managorger Hydra, Dramoka's Command and Ajani, Mentor of heroes.
 - Dramoka's Command - Huge synergy with Hardened Scales and works well with Abzhan Battlepriest (trigger Lifelink from counters and have two creatures fight for removal and life swing)
Other 4 of cards: Cards that work well in your starting hand:
 - Fleecemane Lion - It's a 3/3 for 2 mana that becomes a 4/4 hexproof indestructible monster (what else is there to say?). Also works well with Hardened Scales.
 - Elvish Mystic - Basic ramp creature / chump blocker. Doesn't become useless if you get it late as it can be a cheap pump for Managorger Hydra.

Secondary Combo's and Protection: 3 of cards: You should only use these cards as 3 of cards because they do you no good in your opening hand. These are cards that you want to draw into to as to not diminish your ramp or board presence:
 - Abzhan Battlepriest - This is your mid range trump card. You want to draw into this due to it's higher mana cost and you won't need it until you get a couple creatures with counters on them. Cast this and swing for a huge life swing with Lifelink on your creatures with counters.
 - Solidarity of Heroes - Huge synergy with Managorger Hydra and Hardened Scales (gets +5/+5 if you cast this spell with one Hardened Scales on the battlefield).
 - Inspiring Call - Works extremely well with Managorger Hydra. Gives you an indestructible Blocker and you will draw at least one card. You usually want a couple creatures with counters on them before you canst this so it's something you want to draw into and not have in your starting hand. With a lot of low cast creatures this should be used to keep your cards readily available.
 - Gods Willing - This should protect against a lot of things and it has Scry 1 (and still pumps your Managorger Hydra's while protecting them). Ran into a lot of problems with blue / black decks destroying my creatures, especially once I reached midrange and invested a little into each creature.

Misc cards: Cards used as trump cards or saving graces once you get into mid range or later:
 - Ajani, Mentor of heroes - Works well with Hardened Scales. If you have 3 creatures, all of a sudden they are AT LEAST 3/3 creatures Using his +1 ability. The enemy usually has to deal with Ajani as well due to his 100 life gain ultimate a few turns later giving you an extra 5 health or so.
 - Woodland Bellower - A pretty amazing card that can save you if you've been hit by a board wipe. Allows you to fetch a Managorger or Fleecemane to put right onto the battlefield causing a lot of havoc.
« Última modificação: Julho 23, 2015, 07:53:18 pm por kurufal »

Drunk Cynic

• Decks
« Responder #9 em: Julho 23, 2015, 07:51:56 pm »
For the deck directly above: Feat of Resistance > God's Willing. Though it costs one more and you don't get the scry, the counter interacts well with Hardened Scales.
Perpetual Johnny. Interactions and originality are preferable to winning, though winning doesn't hurt.

kurufal

• Decks
« Responder #10 em: Julho 23, 2015, 07:56:20 pm »
For the deck directly above: Feat of Resistance > God's Willing. Though it costs one more and you don't get the scry, the counter interacts well with Hardened Scales.

It was definitely a thought, The issue is the cheap protection from blue/black though. The scry is much more important than the pump when you are mostly playing cards as you draw them as most cards are 3 mana and under. If I were running more mid range cards I would absolutely play the Feat of Resistance.

-Edit: the protection needed also usually only comes when I cant afford to cast Inspiring Call (for its indestructible benefit) which costs 3 mana. I foresee the 2 mana requirement having almost the same issue as I cast a turn 4 Managorger Hydra and save only one mana for protection.
« Última modificação: Julho 23, 2015, 07:59:47 pm por kurufal »

Drunk Cynic

• Decks
« Responder #11 em: Julho 23, 2015, 08:12:07 pm »
Nothing you've said is wrong. It more or less comes down to personal preference; I endeavor to maximize the synergy of the decks I play. I would run Feat of Resistance, and play Managorger Hydra on turn 4 with an Elvish Mystic, or turn 5 without.

Tsunglasses

• Decks
« Responder #12 em: Julho 23, 2015, 09:10:54 pm »
i dont wanna really change the creatures much Playtesting wise  i havent ran into many issues and i even took it to fnm once(it was a bit different) i won some my games except between aggro i thank you for you advice the hydra seems like a cool idea

kurufal

• Decks
« Responder #13 em: Julho 23, 2015, 10:19:18 pm »
The managorger is EVERY spell. including your opponents. I think it's underrated.

Drunk Cynic

• Decks
« Responder #14 em: Julho 23, 2015, 10:24:29 pm »
The managorger is EVERY spell. including your opponents. I think it's underrated.
The effect is also triggered on rebound. It is underrated, but that is because people are stuck at seeing it as a turn 3 play.  Similar to Rakshasa Deathdealer; though his cmc is 2, he is a turn 4 play.