deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Army of the Dead - Comments  (Read 613 times)

Comment Bot

Army of the Dead - Comments
« on: September 07, 2015, 10:30:09 pm »
This is the comment topic for Army of the Dead.

Please use the Reply button to comment. If you do not have an account yet, please use the link on top to register.

Dies ist das Kommentarthema für Army of the Dead.

Bitte benutze den Knopf "Reply", um einen Kommentar zu schreiben. Wenn du noch kein Benutzerkonto hier hast, benutze bitte den Link "Register" (oben) um dich zu registrieren.

tocuc

• Decks
Re: Army of the Dead - Comments
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 10:30:09 pm »
I'd add a Corpseweft instead of the zombie infestation personally

Aphyxium

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 11:54:27 pm »
I see where you're going with that but i already have some heavy hitters in the deck and theres so many sources of +1/+1 counters for the zombies. Also i dont wanna get into exiling creatures because some creatures require creatures to be exiled as part of their cost to be summoned and i dont want too many zombies removed from the game that i couldve revived and put back into battle. The key to my deck is more overwhelming amounts of lower toughness creatures with stacking counters than big creatures. Their numbers keep multiplying the more of them you have, via: Army of the Damned and Endless Ranks of the Dead.

Drunk Cynic

• Abusing the Terrible and Neglected
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 01:02:39 am »
For clarification, most of those aren't counters. The multitude of effects that give black or zombie creature +1/+1 are anthem effects. They add on top of the base power and toughness.
Perpetual Johnny. Interactions and originality are preferable to winning, though winning doesn't hurt.
If I throw statistics at you, they likely came from:
https://stattrek.com/online-calculator/hypergeometric.aspx

Aphyxium

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 02:46:24 am »
I see. So when it says that Butcher Zombie will only come back to life if it has no +1/+1 counters on it that excludes Diregraf Captain and Cemetery Reaper's +1/+1 to all zombies?

Drunk Cynic

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 03:12:46 am »
Yes, if I read you're question right. Lets try a story.

With some lands, Butcher Ghoul (without +1/+1 counter), Diregraf Captain, and Cemetery Reaper in play, the Butcher Ghoul power and toughness will be 3/3 ( 1/1 and two +1/+1 effects). Something causes the Butcher Ghoul to die, activating the Triggered ability and putting it on the stack. When it resolves, it is checked to see if the Butcher Ghoul had a +1/+1 counter on it when it died. Since it didn't, the Butcher Ghoul is returned to play, with a +1/+1 counter on it. Now it is a 4/4.

Undying (When this creature dies, if it had no +1/+1 counters on it, return it to the battlefield under its owner's control with a +1/+1 counter on it.)

Perpetual Johnny. Interactions and originality are preferable to winning, though winning doesn't hurt.

Aphyxium

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2015, 02:43:58 pm »
Mother of god the wombo-combo is right at my fingertips. Thanks for clarifying that! Ill definitely make some adjustments to get a couple more butcher ghoul in there!

Drunk Cynic

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2015, 04:30:29 pm »
Just to clarify: after the Butcher Ghoul has died, and come back with a +1/+1 counter  on it, the next time it dies it won't come back.

Aphyxium

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2015, 10:08:04 pm »
Right because it says it comes back with a +1/+1 counter specifically. But then you revive him with a ghoulcaller's chant or one of several other cards and boom now he comes back as a 5/5. But aside from all that business what do you think of the deck overall?

Aphyxium

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2015, 10:10:03 pm »
Actually ghoulcaller's chant wouldnt bring him back as a 5/5 because the previous counter would be gone so when you play him from your hand he would come in as a 3/3 if you have diregraf captain out as well. I think.

Drunk Cynic

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2015, 10:45:46 pm »
If you pull Butcher Ghoul from the graveyard with Ghoulcaller's Chant, and then play him with a Diregraf Captain in play, he would only be a 2/2. The card doesn't remember that it was in play before.

The Undying effect only occurs if Butcher Ghoul is in play and dies. On that death, it checks to see if a +1/+1 counter was on it. If not, it will return to play with a +1/+1 counter. If yes, it stays dead.