deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Infinite Damage Combo?  (Read 2408 times)

zebucompany

• Decks
Infinite Damage Combo?
« on: September 30, 2015, 06:22:18 pm »
So I run a wall deck. One of the aims of the deck is to beef the hell out of Souls of the Faultless. You equip it with Darksteel Plate, Pariah's Shield, and Swiftfoot Boots. This way any damage dealt to me is actually dealt to Souls of the Faultless, causing the opponent to lose that much life instead, while I gain that much life. I'm considering putting Flesh Reaver in this deck.

Suppose I already have the full combo out. Now I attack with Flesh Reaver, he deals 4 damage either to the opponent or to a blocking creature. In turn he deals 4 damage to me as well, which then is dealt to Souls of the Faultless instead, who then deals 4 more damage to the opponent and I gain 4 life. Now, Flesh Reaver says WHENEVER he deals damage to ANY creature, he deals 4 damage to me. So the 4 damage dealt to Souls of the Faultless causes Flesh Reaver to deal 4 more damage to me, which instead goes back to Souls of the Faultless and this process, I believe, would repeat endlessly until the opponent has lost all of their life, 4 damage at a time, and the game ends.

Is this correct? Am I missing something?

Edit: It just occurred to me that Souls of the Faultless says the damage is dealt to ATTACKING player, which would be me. So instead, suppose I have the combo set up on Wall of Souls, who I also run in that deck. I think this infinite combo should work then, on Wall of Souls instead.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 06:34:53 pm by zebucompany »

Drunk Cynic

• Abusing the Terrible and Neglected
  • Decks
Re: Infinite Damage Combo?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 08:08:04 pm »
No, with either Souls of the Faultless or Wall of Souls. Their replacement effects interact with combat damage; this would be damage assigned during the Combat Damage Step. The self punch from Flesh Reaver is not combat damage; it is a triggered effect that happens after it deals damage, either during the Combat Damage Step or through some ping effect. You'll still get smacked for 4 when he does damage to something else.

Further, the meat of what you see as a combo is also wrong. The loss of life from either Souls of the Faultless are sourced from those permanents. It is the Wall of Souls that is doing the damage, not Flesh Reaver. For Souls of the Faultess, it doesn't do damage, but instead causes a loss of life; two very different concepts.

On your combo: You are using far to many pieces. Your deck will be bloated with combo peices, with nothing left to engage with the opponent. Darksteel Plate + Pariah's Shield + Darksteel Plate is enough to deter any attacks. Everything else should through things at your opponent.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 08:14:19 pm by Drunk Cynic »
Perpetual Johnny. Interactions and originality are preferable to winning, though winning doesn't hurt.
If I throw statistics at you, they likely came from:
https://stattrek.com/online-calculator/hypergeometric.aspx

zebucompany

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 08:16:31 pm »
I was under the impression that combat damage was any damage dealt specifically by a creature. But since its not, the non-combat damage dealt to me by Flesh Reaver would then still redirect into whatever Pariah's Shield is on, but then result in an endless loop of Flesh Reaver dealing 4 damage to my wall, nothing happening because its not "combat" damage, but then triggering Flesh Reaver to deal 4 damage to it again, over and over, right? Resulting in nothing useful. Because Flesh Reaver's ability triggers anytime he deals any kind of damage, not just combat damage.

Also I use Tormented Soul and Outrider En-Kor to deal damage in the deck. But I am trying to fit in some more offense so that's what the Flesh Reaver idea was for.

And I understand that the walls themselves are dealing damage. That is irrelevant. I'm saying that the damage that ought to be dealt to me by Flesh Reaver is instead dealt to my own creature, which would trigger his affect again, and again and again.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 08:20:33 pm by zebucompany »

Drunk Cynic

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 08:35:00 pm »
Yes, Pariah's Shield Will cause your Flesh Reaver to keep doing damage to the equipped creature till it dies. Coupled with Darksteel Plate, you set up an infinite loop, forcing a draw per 421.4 if it can't be interrupted.

Having a few other creatures in the deck is passive interaction; I was talking about control effects, such as destruction or discard.

421.4. If the loop contains only mandatory actions, the game ends in a draw. (See rule 102.6.)
Perpetual Johnny. Interactions and originality are preferable to winning, though winning doesn't hurt.

VincentVG

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 08:50:14 pm »
Flesh Reaver + Pariah's Shield + Darksteel Plate = Never lose! (nor win XD)

I'm wondering about a combo with Hornet Nest... it only needs a way to stop the loop  ::)

zebucompany

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 08:56:31 pm »
Stuffy Doll + Pariah's Shield + Flesh Reaver does what I want right?

Also is the Hornet Nest combo interruptable by just destroying your own creature with something?

I may be making a black/green deck around this now haha

Edit: Oh also having something like Impact Tremors out would end the Hornet nest combo by just killing the opponent.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 09:00:44 pm by zebucompany »

Drunk Cynic

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 09:00:58 pm »
Stuffy Doll + Pariah's Shield + Flesh Reaver does what I want right?

Also is the Hornet Nest combo interruptable by just destroying your own creature with something?
Stuffy Doll + Pariah's Shield + Flesh Reaver does exactly what you want.

Hornet Nest + Pariah's Shield + Flesh Reaver + Indestuctable effect + way to kill Flesh Reaver would create infinite tokens.