deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Rakdos Aggro - Comments  (Read 798 times)

Comment Bot

Rakdos Aggro - Comments
« on: November 14, 2015, 06:48:28 am »
This is the comment topic for Rakdos Aggro.

Please use the Reply button to comment. If you do not have an account yet, please use the link on top to register.

Dies ist das Kommentarthema für Rakdos Aggro.

Bitte benutze den Knopf "Reply", um einen Kommentar zu schreiben. Wenn du noch kein Benutzerkonto hier hast, benutze bitte den Link "Register" (oben) um dich zu registrieren.

mckayeaston

• Decks
Re: Rakdos Aggro - Comments
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2015, 06:48:28 am »
What's with the blue mana sources? Maybe trade out the Shivan Reef for another Mountain and the Sunken Hollows for Smoldering Marshes?

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2015, 07:25:40 am »
If you wanted to incorporate blue into this deck then it would be considered GRIXIS. IF not then try giving the creatures more battle tricks and take advantage of the dash mechanic that kolaghan is capable of. Also warstorm surge is a great way to deal out the damage as you are dashing out your creatures. Take out any cards that deal you damage and try adding cards that deal wide scale damage to everyone BUT your creatures. Lastly try adding some slab hammers and the dual lands from tarkir that give 1 life upon entering. This way your dashing creatures will be +2/+2 stronger AND you can keep replaying your bloodfell caves to gain health every turn.

Jazon

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2015, 09:00:34 am »
What's with the blue mana sources? Maybe trade out the Shivan Reef for another Mountain and the Sunken Hollows for Smoldering Marshes?
ah, sorry, i haven't completed the sideboard yet. blue is for sideboard cards Dispel and Disdainful Stroke - essential cards, i think against Abzan (board out Wild Slash for Disdainful Stroke to prevent Siege Rhino and Wingmate Roc) and Dark Jeskai (board out Sarkhan and Kolaghan for Dispel to prevent Ojutai's Command and Crackling Doom).

Jazon

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2015, 09:01:53 am »
If you wanted to incorporate blue into this deck then it would be considered GRIXIS. IF not then try giving the creatures more battle tricks and take advantage of the dash mechanic that kolaghan is capable of. Also warstorm surge is a great way to deal out the damage as you are dashing out your creatures. Take out any cards that deal you damage and try adding cards that deal wide scale damage to everyone BUT your creatures. Lastly try adding some slab hammers and the dual lands from tarkir that give 1 life upon entering. This way your dashing creatures will be +2/+2 stronger AND you can keep replaying your bloodfell caves to gain health every turn.
Warstorm Surge isn't Standard playable, i think.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2015, 06:05:15 pm »
True it's not but impact tremors is and does a similar thing. It's a low drop enchantment that works best in multiples.

Jazon

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2015, 12:36:37 pm »
Impact Tremors is more suited for a tokens deck with Dragon Fodder and Hordeling Outburst to maximize the damage. the problem with using enchantment is that Dromoka's Command is pretty popular right now.

Updated with Sideboard.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2015, 01:45:41 pm »
I understand but if you add some dispels and some of the good blue counters like dispel then it won't be as much of an issue. Also even though it's an enchantment it would work well with your dash creatures since you'll be playing them just about every turn anyway (which brings me to my next point coming up).

But if that's the case then I strongly recommend keeping and emphasizing on the blue in this deck then. This way you can play cards such as disdainful stroke, negate, neutralizing blast, rakshasa's disdain, silumgar sorcerer, silumgar spell-eater, stratus dancer, and stubborn denial. This blue cards have low mana costs and would be good tools towards keeping your enemies off your back with their instances and shenanigans. Cards like dispel and cancel would balance out other people's control tactics while you push for damage with some of your creatures. Looking at the blue mana, it would be good to add some unblock-able and also some hexproof creatures to the mix (that might also have prowess) in order to throw off your opponent. The jeskai monks are pretty good at that.

But honestly i don't feel that forerunner of slaughter would be a good fit for this deck. Sure it'll be a 3-drop with haste but his effect would only work on itself one time (or two if you used one's effect on the others which would still equate to 3-mana). You'd be better off playing creatures that have the dash ability in combination with orc sureshot. you could swap them out for Alesha's vanguard or even gurmag swiftwing and play your low attack creatures (that also have flying if you choose to add them) with break through the line. That way you're still around that same mana cost and you don't have to worry as much about creature removal later on. Adding warbringer to your deck will lessen the mana cost for your dash creatures and will allow you to play more per turn in combination with your instances(this will help with the prowess trigger).

Jazon

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 08:37:12 am »
apparently, someone 5-0'ed at MTGO using a similar deck.
https://www.channelfireball.com/articles/deck-of-the-day-grixis-aggro/

Jazon

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 11:48:03 am »
updated the deck. now purely R/B. thinking of replacing 2x Ire Shaman with 2x Duress but i'll have to see how the Shamans perform tomorrow first.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 02:40:03 pm »
The deck looks good so far. If you're gonna run 4 draconic roar then shouldn't you play more than 6 dragons in a deck? Maybe add a stormwing dragon to level out the dragon-to-other creature ratio. That way you can use it more often without draconic roar sitting in your hand waiting for a dragon.

Jazon

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2015, 12:09:47 pm »
Stormwing doesn't get the cut because it's costed too highly.

Went 2-2 last FNM. i never had the chance to playtest and tweak before FNM, so i think that's a fair result.

Round 1 vs Mardu - Loss. i was still getting the feel of the deck. Mardu's unforgiving to misplays, and the pilot's a good player.

Round 2 vs R/B Aristocrats - Win. interesting deck, with token generators to make full use of Nantuko Husk's ability. first game i just curved well enough that i was clearly ahead, game 2 i used Transgress the Mind to make him discard a Nantuko Husk in hand, and i used various removals on what relevant threats he put on the table.

Round 3 vs Abzan - Win. ok, Abzan's the match i'm worried about. game 1 i lost, but i removed 3x Zurgo and 3x Wild Slash and replaced them with more efficient removal and discarders and that proved good enough to win the game. the pilot's skilled so i think that's a big win for the deck.

Round 4 vs Abzan - Loss. i wasn't able to draw the necessary hand disruption spells and removals so i guess that's just bad luck for me, otherwise i could have won over a slow Abzan deck with Hangarback Walkers.

moving forward, i think i'll have to reduce the number of Polluted Delta to 2, replace with 1 Smoldering Marsh and a Mountain, because there were times when i had Polluted Delta but nothing else to fetch in the deck.

surprisingly, nearly all the Dark Jeskai decks vanished last FNM, so some slots in the sideboard were kind of wasted. the meta is once more Abzan dominant. maybe the best changes to the deck would be to the sideboard. since their threats are quite nasty and hard to remove when resolved, maybe a few more hand disruption spells would be nice. definitely upping the number of Transgress the Mind and Despise.

Ire Shaman performed well. as expected, it's something of a really annoying threat that goes through singleton blockers, so i didn't have to expend a lot of removal. Forerunner of Slaughter also strained the opponent's removals, since it can't get hit with Ultimate Price and Surge of Righteousness. it also trades with leveled up Warden of the First Tree and doesn't die to 1/1 Hangarback Walker and Thopter Tokens.

worst performer? Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury. too steep a casting cost, and by the time i had the mana, the opponent is ready with removal. so he's little more than Dragonic Roar enabler. already thinking of replacing it, but with what? maybe 2x Sarkhan, the Dragon Speaker? at least it also has haste, can be used as a removal for smaller creatures, evades Ojutai's Command, and indestructible. downside is that while in hand, it cannot be a Draconic Roar enabler.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2015, 03:27:50 pm »
I see what you mean and I'm glad that you learned all of this from your deck in one evening. I've probably offered you all the helpful suggestions that I can at this point. If you need anything else let me know and I'll be more than happy to assist you. Once again I'm glad things played out in your favor.