deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Nature Shields Its Own Archenemy Argument!  (Read 1035 times)

Bartley

• Greetings!
  • Decks
Nature Shields Its Own Archenemy Argument!
« on: December 28, 2015, 05:04:23 pm »
So me and my friends were playing a Archenemy game and this card came up.

Nature Shields Its Own.    http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=212577

Types:
Ongoing Scheme
Card Text:
(An ongoing scheme remains face up until it's abandoned.)
Whenever a creature attacks and isn't blocked, if you're the defending player, put a 0/1 green Plant creature token onto the battlefield blocking that creature.
When four or more creatures attack you, abandon this scheme at end of combat.
Ruleing.....
6/15/2010   You're the defending player if a creature is attacking you or a planeswalker you control.
6/15/2010   For each unblocked creature attacking you, you must put a Plant token onto the battlefield blocking it, even if you don't want to.
6/15/2010   The Plant token blocks the attacking creature even if the block couldn't legally be declared (for example, if the attacking creature has flying).
6/15/2010   Putting a blocking creature onto the battlefield doesn't trigger "Whenever a creature blocks" abilities. It also won't check blocking restrictions, costs, or requirements.
6/15/2010   Putting a blocking creature onto the battlefield will trigger "When this creature becomes blocked by a creature" abilities. It will also trigger "When this creature becomes blocked" abilities in this case, because the attacking creature had not yet been blocked that combat.
6/15/2010   The last ability triggers only if four or more creatures were declared as attackers during your opponents' declare attackers step. Only creatures attacking you are counted; creatures attacking your planeswalkers are not. The creatures may be controlled by different players.

Ok so we have the card and the ruling listed.

SOooo on to our argument.   

For this scheme to trigger a creature needs to attack and not be blocked. (now this is key because its what started the argument)

Does this scheme apply for the opponents of the Archenemy as well?   According to the first ruleing "6/15/2010   You're the defending player if a creature is attacking you or a planeswalker you control."   So if the archenemy is the attacking player and I am the defending player do I put out the token out blocking as well since I am the defending player???

OR is the Archenemy the only one who benefits from this scheme?

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
Re: Nature Shields Its Own Archenemy Argument!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 07:51:17 pm »
      If I read this correctly then this is what I think happens: Nature shields its own is YOUR card so whenever YOU the player activated the card it will always work when YOU (the person who played the card) are attacked by YOUR opponent. I haven't played archenemy before but from reading the card and the ruling this seems like what the card is saying.

Vokoru

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 08:11:54 pm »
Does this scheme apply for the opponents of the Archenemy as well?   According to the first ruleing "6/15/2010   You're the defending player if a creature is attacking you or a planeswalker you control."   So if the archenemy is the attacking player and I am the defending player do I put out the token out blocking as well since I am the defending player???

No. Schemes are played by the Archenemy and thus work the same as regular spells/permanents that that player controls. The "if you're the defending player" clause is to prevent a situation where the Archenemy attacks someone, isn't blocked, and must then somehow place a token on his own battlefield blocking his own creature.

Bartley

• Greetings!
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 09:15:45 pm »
thanks for the feedback.  I think your right Vokoru.  I claim that it is only for the benefit of the Archenemy but my friends do not think this is so!

My friend argues that the scheme is a world enchantment that triggers "Whenever a creature attacks and isn't blocked"  and he thinks it applys to anyone who is the defending player due to the first ruleing on oracle(below). 
6/15/2010   You're the defending player if a creature is attacking you or a planeswalker you control.

I think he thinks the wording of "You're the defending player" applys to all players in the current game and not just the Archenemy.

I think that if it was meant to be used this way it would be worded like other archenemy cards like the one below.

A Display of My Dark Power
http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=212578
Card Text:
When you set this scheme in motion, until your next turn, whenever a player taps a land for mana, that player adds one mana to his or her mana pool of any type that land produced.

It would say something like "whenever a player" like above.

Since these cards are not played by a lot of the magic community there is limited information online.  So our "house rules" ends up winning the ruling questions. (and i have to play their way)

My Friends Disagree with me so I'm looking for a definite answer to finally shut them up so we can play it correctly:)