deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Favorite Moment Playing Magic?  (Read 10216 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Favorite Moment Playing Magic?
« on: February 12, 2016, 11:08:06 pm »
When Theros first came out I ran a Boros Heroic enchantment deck that cost around $24 bucks (depending on which site you went by, some had it as low as $17) that beat the more expensive decks in the shop simply because they couldn't keep up with it's speed. My favorite moment playing Magic was going 2-0, 2-0, 2-0, 2-0, and 2-0 in a FNM and all the decks I beat costing $150 or more, especially the $600+ deck I beat in the final round that ran 2 copies of Elspeth, 4 copies of Stormbreath, 4 copies of Voice of Resurgence, and 4 copies of each shockland in the relevant colors.

Nothing better than a low cost deck knocking off all the expensive decks by out-speeding them...especially when they don't see it coming because you're typically the one that wants to slow the game down and make it a battle of endurance (before that all they had seen me play was GB Turbo Fog-ramp in biggies or UG Control ramp into biggies). I actually have been debating putting that deck back together and upgrading it to give it a whirl in Modern.

Anyway, what's your favorite Magic moment?
This space for rent.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
Re: Favorite Moment Playing Magic?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 12:03:46 am »
     My favorite magic moment actually happened when I first started playing magic. I was playing a 3-way dual with my R/G werewolves and I was getting slammed by a W/U spirit mill deck and burnt by a Mono-R deck. The only way I was able to survive as long as I did was by playing gnaw to the bone. Anytime they went for a kill shot I either played it from my hand or used the flashback to stay in the game. The game lasted almost an entire hour but I was able to pull out a win. I guess it does help to teach an old dog new tricks.

EBWonder

• Doing the voodoo that I do so well
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 06:01:03 pm »
My favorite moment is when I was in college, playing Magic with people I'll never (well, almost never) see again.

I was playing a mono green Elf deck and we were playing a star 5-player (5 mono colored decks). I pulled out a turn 3 channel hurricane to win...which the red player forked just so everybody died.

The other moment was creating the "Flailing Titties" deck when Mercadian Masques came out. Priest of titania elf ramp with flailers. (see flailing soldier)

sixfortyone

• SSDD
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2016, 11:46:52 pm »
My favourite moment playing Magic was long ago with my old room mates. Multiplayer game so a pretty hefty board state. I was playing my 5 colour sliver deck, and cast a kicked Rite of Replication on my Ink-Treader Nephilim. With a Hivestone in play. Summoned around 150 creatures or something obscene, god knows what their powers and abilities were with all the sliver-ness.
"The idea is to remain in a state of constant departure, while always arriving. Saves on introductions and goodbyes."

ladof

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 01:01:46 am »
Mine is actually pretty recent. Had a standard game that had become a cold war, with both sides having enormous forces, but not willing to commit for fear of losing too much.

I was running RW allies and had, among a plethora of others, Zada, Hedron Grinder and Hero of Goma Fada on the board. I dropped Expedition Envoy to trigger all the allies abilities, then targeted Zada with Chandra's Ignition. Everything on his side went away, while my side was still alive (thanks indestructable) and able to finish off my opponent with my combat phase.
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Jace27

• Combo+Combo=More combos :)
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2016, 01:13:06 am »
My favorite moment playing magic was when I beat one of my now close friend's esper control deck that costed approximately $500 with a $50 myr deck by casting infinite myrs (Myr Matrix, Palladium Myr, 2 Myr Galvinizers) after playing for around an hour.
For my opponents, a healthy diet of counterspells, artifacts, and crazy combos.

Sovereign42

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2016, 03:23:18 am »
One time, years ago, I dropped a Ground Seal turn 2 against a mono black zombie hoard... the guy just about flipped the table.

That or the time I sat with my boyfriend ramping up his mono green Rampaging Baloths, got out like 600 something baloths. A crowd had begun to form around us to watch my inevitable destruction. He pumped them up to 40/40s and swung out... to which I replied with a Fog, and the crowd lost it.

ep1cn00b

• Strive 2 be strange Refuse 2 be normal!
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 11:32:41 pm »
I would have to say my favorite moment playing magic was during the very first pre-release I attended. (Gatewatch) This was also the first time I ever played in any kind of tournament AT ALL for ANY CARD GAME. I distinctly remember and will never forget it. I was a new guy. Never been to the hosting card shop before in my life. I sat down to play in my 2nd round after getting rolled on my first round. It was against a veteran Magic player who had been playing for over 5 years. Anyway, we sat down to play and I started off good, but she was coming back fast. I was down to 5 Life. I managed a comeback using the very first limited format deck I had ever created ON MY OWN. Then we start the second match in the round. I start rolling on her. Hitting her for 1 or 2 maybe 3 at a time. She got so frustrated that halfway through the second match. She swept and forfeited to me. I may be a terrible person for feeling this way, but that's ok. I felt proud that I stood my ground against a veteran and made them sweep in my FIRST EVER TOURNAMENT.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 12:12:36 am »
    @ep1cn00b, it's not cool to make girls cry......but I'm proud of you anyway though :)

ep1cn00b

• Strive 2 be strange Refuse 2 be normal!
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 12:29:39 am »
@G.Moto I didnt make her cry. It was more of a ragequit situation. If she was playing anybody else, she would have stuck it out. She was pissed because she was getting schooled by a n00b at his first tournament EVER. lol

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 02:56:49 am »
Props to you brother man.

Frimmel

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 02:52:16 pm »
Long time ago was playing a mono-black hand disruption deck and the game was stalling out. I pretty much had the guy (who was part of the three four guys who always won these little local tourneys) just playing whatever he drew each round but he'd managed to still keep me down to Order of Yawgmoth and we've both been chipping away and are at like five or six life each. I got nothing but discard spells and a Ravenous Rats. He draws and gets this big smile. "How many cards do you have in hand?"

"Five."

"Okay, Multani, Maro-Sorcerer. Done."

So there's 5/5 Multani and I draw my card and now he's 6/6. So I drop the swamp I'd been holding onto. Play the rats. Tap my four and play Persecute.

One of the guys standing watching (part of this always wins group and I'm still not sure how I never punched him in the face) goes "Idiot" as my opponent waves his hands at me with a Dude-what-are-you-thinking look on his face.

"Well it is "target player" so I'll target me and name black." I showed them my hand which was all black cards. I drop my hand into the graveyard and I'm still getting these flabbergasted and not at all flattering looks.

I look around at everyone. "That kills Multani," directly to the guy who just called me an idiot. "Swing with Order of Yawgmoth."

I have never heard a more satisfying silence.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 03:30:52 pm »
  HANDS DOWN AWESOME!! win for the underdog. This is the kind of skill that I like to see in up and coming players.

Frimmel

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 04:12:48 pm »
  HANDS DOWN AWESOME!! win for the underdog. This is the kind of skill that I like to see in up and coming players.

Thanks. Those guys always had the best tech and were the big "That card's unplayable" guys and I'm trying to play on the cheap because even that was really too expensive and they were all kids living at home with way more loot plus they were always pooling their stuff. And they were always giving me shit about the decks I played so the irony in Persecute -ing myself to win was also pretty cool.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 04:58:37 pm »
  Poetic Justice at its finest. I've got the resources to build big but I prefer to build my own original decks, I'm really against net decking as far a creativity goes. A cool way to push yourself is to build your decks using only commons and uncommons, then adding the rares and mythics that you need to complete the deck. Some people get these ostentatiously expensive  decks just to get beat by budget goblins or Zombie token swarm. Expensive paperweights hold little ground in the world of modern.