deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Standard Golgari-Selesnya Fusion Deck  (Read 1261 times)

Jairoe03

• Decks
Standard Golgari-Selesnya Fusion Deck
« on: January 23, 2014, 03:45:10 am »
I been trying to develop a competitive deck to play at local card shop tournaments (FNM's, GPQ's etc.) and want to get more looks at the current state of my deck. Generally its a fast aggro deck that can switch into something that resembles mid-range later on by using Varolz, the Scar-Striped and Boon Satyr to pump up my creatures to a competitive enough size. Lotleth Troll can also be used but more as a last resort because the idea is to utilize my creatures with large amounts of attacks and send them into graveyard but we can pump him for tricks if we need to.

The sideboard currently is mainly for instant/sorcery swaps for targetted control depending on the type of matchup I'm going against since each removal card has conditions and limits but are cheap and effective (and not all are meant to be used at once).

But with the style of this deck, think many small investments to try and create something bigger later on. I feel this deck has a lot of flexibility and tricks with what I'm given but want looks and considerations/opinions etc. especially in light in today's current meta in Standard.

(No Born to the Gods because a complete spoiler isn't out yet and its currently not Standard).

https://deckstats.net/decks/4231/60104-golgari-selesnya-fusion

[deck="Golgari-Selesnya Fusion"]
//Lands
6 Forest
4 Overgrown Tomb
2 Plains
2 Swamp
4 Temple Garden
4 Temple of Silence

//Spells
3 Golgari Charm
4 Read the Bones
3 Ready // Willing

//Creatures
4 Boon Satyr
3 Dryad Militant
3 Fleecemane Lion
4 Lotleth Troll
3 Loxodon Smiter
4 Soldier of the Pantheon
3 Varolz, the Scar-Striped
4 Voice of Resurgence

//Sideboard
SB: 1 Loxodon Smiter
SB: 1 Ready // Willing
SB: 1 Golgari Charm
SB: 3 Devour Flesh
SB: 3 Selesnya Charm
SB: 3 Witchstalker
SB: 3 Last Breath
[/deck]

oonas_growler

• Decks
Re: Standard Golgari-Selesnya Fusion Deck
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 06:04:31 pm »
I really like this list, but why no godless shrine? Abrupt decay should maybe be in here too, and mistcutter hydra for MBD.

Jairoe03

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 07:42:38 pm »
Actually Godless Shrine is definitely a consideration to tie my resources together just a little bit better (but I don't think its a dire situation, since most of the time the colors seem to come together fairly well. I like Temple of Silence because of Scry and I am hoping to include Temple of Plenty (in place of 4 Forests) when the new set comes out giving me 12 scry cards and I don't see as a huge detriment (I run 8 scry lands in my burn deck and it works out fine). Adding Godless Shrine does have me worried about shocking myself and so thats why I remain hesitant.

Abrupt Decay I feel isn't needed in my deck (plus its fairly expensive) since the primary goal behind my deck is a creature-aggro focus and I want to mainboard things that fully support that i.e. Golgari Charm and Ready // Willing. These give me side options outside of indestructibility and regenerate and also limited removal in cases I really need to, but the main focus is to present as many problems to the player and hope they can't pull enough answers fast enough before they die. At 2 mana cost, I doubt it'll see play in the first 4 or 5 turns since I'll be prioritizing creature drops and by turn 6 or 7, most of the time, I would have run across a threat that Abrupt Decay would not be able to handle. Even as a sideboard I feel I have options sufficient enough, big creature removal/god removal option (Selesnya Charm), key creature removal with low power (Last Breath), weenie removal(Golgari Charm), hexproof/indestruct removal (Devour Flesh) and I can chain these together if I feel its necessary as well.

Mistcutter Hydra is also a strong consideration for my sideboard and I still have been toying with my sideboard. It would probably take place of my 4 creatures in sideboard but I am liking 4th Loxodon Smiter because it is great against discard decks as well as counter decks (but no pro blue) and 3 Witchstalkers (again great against control decks and anything that relies on targetting creatures to control board, but again no against mono blue dev). I guess with my deck currently where its at, I don't see much threat behind mono blue devotion because it works slower (where mine works fast) and I feel sideboarding Last Breath and Devour Flesh is probably sufficient enough to beat out this deck (if my mainboard isn't good enough already). I still am up in the air about that card and could see myself squeezing 3 replacing Witchstalker in sideboard.

oonas_growler

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 08:07:16 pm »
Fair point re decay. Other creatures I'd maybe consider would be experiment one and skylasher but I wouldn't know what to cut.

Jairoe03

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 11:56:00 pm »
Regarding Experiment One, I would have to cut out one of my 7 1-drop creatures for it and the reason why I like those (dryad militant and soldier of the pantheon) is that they are 1 mana for a 2 power creature which isn't the advantage it has over Experiment One while on the battlefield but when Varolz, the Scar-Striped comes out, what the opponent thought was no longer a threat all of a sudden becomes a threat and 1 mana for 2 +1/+1 counters is the greatest deal for cheap buffs that this deck carries, which Experiment One would be unable to deliver as well.

Similar thoughts behind Skylasher, I would have to move a 2-drop from deck and it's got stiff competition in Voice of Resurgence and Fleecemane Lion, which far outshines it in this particular deck mostly due to the same reason listed in the above paragraph and because Voice is just too strong in itself. So fairly hard card to put in giving the competition for the spots ;) Haha I just made it sound like they had to go through card auditions for a job.