deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Suggestions for Animar deck  (Read 659 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Suggestions for Animar deck
« on: January 24, 2014, 03:32:26 pm »
(if this is the wrong place for this, please move it to the appropriate place- since it's not a built deck that I'm asking on comments for but instead looking for suggestions in the process of building I was unsure)

I want to build an Animar deck (I'm trading for him later this weekend), and am looking for suggestions on the best philosophy for a deck with him as the commander. What cards are basically "have to includes" in an Animar deck, and what cards should I avoid?

I'm leaning towards not including anything that provides colorless mana (Sol Ring, Gilded Lotus, etc.) and going with creatures with effects instead of spells (for instance, not including Demystify but instead including War Priest of Thune- know those examples are off color for Animar but just the first example that came to mind). I will probably include some spells just to have multiple ways of dealing with certain threats, but will likely keep them to a minimum.

Really hoping for some good suggestions. Thank you ahead of time.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 07:34:13 pm by WWolfe »
This space for rent.

oonas_growler

• Decks
Re: Suggestions for Animar deck
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 08:44:00 pm »
I'll be honest, I know nothing about EDH but Squee, Goblin Nabob and some of the evoke creatures eg Mulldrifter would probably fit here

Crash

• Decks
Re: Suggestions for Animar deck
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 11:24:11 am »
The only cards I feel are valuable enough to insist on are solemn simulacrum, acidic slime, and Avenger of Zendikar. Regarding philosophy: there are two strategies I've used with Animar over the last couple years with different essential cards.

Primordial Sage and cards similar to it (glimpse of nature, soul of the harvest) permit amazing plays with Animar's ability (such as throwing half your library at the table in one turn). This strategy wants plenty of mana-generating creatures and cards like fires of yavimaya and craterhoof behemoth.

The Squee, Goblin Nabob strategy is a different plan, built around recasting the same creatures. For that Cloud Curio is indispensable and colorless creatures with ETB effects are highly valuable.

On a last note, the reason I still love Animar is the way it plays Warp World, Primal Surge or similar.