deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Modern] Poisoning  (Read 4046 times)

Kane_

• Decks
[Modern] Poisoning
« on: March 18, 2016, 10:17:13 pm »
Hello everybody,

Let me show you my actual/futur ancien Infect oriented deck: here

Until now it was pretty good and fast for winning, typhoids rats are good helpers to dissuade opponents to attack too often and while they have the slagwurm armor they are even more a threat, it's weak point was mostly against flying or reach opponents, they just destroy this deck, but even with that i was happy with this deck and was thinking about keeping it as is forever.

[story part]
But yesterday, i had play against a new magic player (only played 7 times), using the preconstructed Zendikar deck Eldrazi Assault (7 victory with it), and it was painful for me, while everything was going smoothly for my opponent, card have difficulty to come for me, mana was not really good too, etc... And after 2 round, i was done, beated with one of my actual best deck on something i was thinking it was a good deck, but not a so good deck.
[end of story part]

so after this, and since i never used deck constructed by other by myself, i wanted to rework it to gain more control, having less difficulty to get mana, to have something more stable and that can work better against everything, and this is what i have done until now with it to get it to that point.

What do you think of both of them? Have you any suggestions to help me to improve it?

Thanks for your help !

Edit: Just realised i have not posted it in the right section ! Sorry ><
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 01:35:46 pm by Kane_ »

ladof

• Decks
Re: [Modern] Poisoning
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 01:50:38 am »
So I've never played around with black infect (just never got around to it, to be honest), so take all this with that in mind.

1) I would probably drop blue or make it more pronounced. You aren't really running enough of it to justify a second color. Blighted Agent is nice, but you aren't even running 4 of them to help pull one. Looking at what you've built, you might be better with mono-black; you could remove some spells and add more blue, but then you'd need to fix your mana again. Mono-black, especially for a cheaper CMC infect deck, could probably safely run 20 lands, giving you four more spells to play with.

2) Most infect decks I've seen try to get something on the board and make it big, fast. This usually involves green, but even if you don't want to run green, you could add mutagenic growth for a quick buff to help put you over the edge. Costs two life, but if it wins the game, two life doesn't mean anything.

3) If you want to control the board, doom blade is a cheap removal (with a small drawback). Murderous Cut is another solid addition, especially if you know you'll have cards in your graveyard to exile to make it cheaper. Victim of Night is another good mono-black removal (that has a drawback.)

4) Lashwrithe, especially if you go mono-black, is a pretty good addition, as it can buff your creatures pretty quickly and can be re-equipped for life rather than mana you might need for something else.

5) This is an obvious one, and I assume you aren't interested in dropping ~$180 for four of them, but inkmoth nexus is pretty much a staple in infect decks.

Again, I haven't tried black infect (I have a budget blue/green one that's pretty run-of-the-mill, without the inkmoth nexus, those things are pricey.) but that's probably where I'd go with it.
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2016, 02:58:38 am »
20 lands really doesn't seem like enough in this deck with no ramp. Probably should add 2 more lands.
This space for rent.

Kane_

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2016, 01:16:44 pm »
@ladof
I see, it's true that the blue does not help me very much in that configuration, going back to mono-black can be a good idea, i does not touch at least the 2/3 of all the infect black creatures that exist (at start the deck was oriented flying too), or like you said by going for green with a pack of suicidal attack using instant like Tread Upon, Awaken the Bear, by using Epic Confrontation for cleaning the battlefield, and even finishing by the classic Murder or some of the cheapeast one you suggested. I can even protect my agains't flying creatures with a Raking Canopy. And finally Lashwrithe is pretty interesting.

Concerning Inkmoth Nexus, it's true that it is tempting, but... I try to stay on budget decks for now.

@WWolfe
Until now i never go over 20 land for each of my deck, that was the duel against the preconstructed deck that made me realize i may be wrong, that's why i try to stay near 24 for this version, Typhoid Rats are great, but maybe should i replace them by Plague Myr for the mana gain?

EBWonder

• Doing the voodoo that I do so well
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2016, 10:32:39 pm »
1. giving a creature with infect double strike is nasty
2. mono black as few things that can fetch lands, perhaps other artifacts or splash another color
3. goblin weenie rush can stall this deck enough is it has a good hand or at least the right mixture of spells

just some thoughts for now.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2016, 11:02:43 pm »
@WWolfe
Until now i never go over 20 land for each of my deck, that was the duel against the preconstructed deck that made me realize i may be wrong, that's why i try to stay near 24 for this version, Typhoid Rats are great, but maybe should i replace them by Plague Myr for the mana gain?

I'd probably focus on adding two more lands and ways to buff the creatures you already have. Like EBWonder said, giving double strike to creatures with infect is nasty.
This space for rent.

Kane_

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 01:15:31 pm »
That can be an interesting idea, but i only see the Fireshrieker that give/have double strike for something green/black (seriously ? Nothing in green have it? :o )
I suppose i can find a place to add 2 of them instead of something else

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 03:34:49 pm »
That can be an interesting idea, but i only see the Fireshrieker that give/have double strike for something green/black (seriously ? Nothing in green have it? :o )
I suppose i can find a place to add 2 of them instead of something else

Not double strike but maybe do the trick, Inquisitor's flail
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me