deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Poll

What is your favorite MTG Format?

Standard
5 (21.7%)
Modern
9 (39.1%)
Eternal (Legacy/Vintage)
1 (4.3%)
Limited (Sealed/Draft)
2 (8.7%)
EDH
6 (26.1%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Voting closed: April 06, 2016, 09:40:57 pm

Author Topic: Favorite Format?  (Read 10765 times)

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Favorite Format?
« on: March 23, 2016, 08:40:57 pm »
So what is everyone's favorite format?

I love Sealed, Standard, and Modern but my favorite would have to be EDH.

I do miss Extended though.
This space for rent.

Jace27

• Combo+Combo=More combos :)
  • Decks
Re: Favorite Format?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 09:19:16 pm »
I'm mainly a modern player so that would have to be my favorite.
For my opponents, a healthy diet of counterspells, artifacts, and crazy combos.

ladof

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 10:48:51 pm »
EDH. I love building themed decks around a general's abilities. Modern is second, but EDH is my favorite.
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 01:46:09 am »
Definately sealed/draft. I love an even playing field, then EDH because of creativity
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Audit

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 10:39:37 am »
Standard, but that's because of my limited set of cards. I only own M14 through Zendikar Block, with a little Torment and Odyssey thrown in.

GeekMagicWarp

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 08:53:24 pm »
EDH. My best deck is an EDH deck and I feel it is easier to be competitive in that format. In Standard and Modern you have the people that drop 1000's of dollars in each set and therefore have the means to make the best deck possible. For people on a limited budget it gets overwhelming trying to compete with someone running a deck with hundreds of dollars in fetch lands and you're trying to make your deck work with evolving wilds. With EDH only allowing 1 of each card (save basic lands) the amount of money someone invests still matters but it matters alot less. My $120 deck can compete with anyone else's $1000+ deck and probably pull off a win. That being said I will add that Modern is my 2nd favorite due to a larger availabilty of cards to play and having more interesting ways to make them interact with each other.

ep1cn00b

• Strive 2 be strange Refuse 2 be normal!
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 10:43:22 pm »
I attended my very first pre-release/draft with Oath of the Gatewatch. I am not very experienced with the way magic cards work and exactly what strategy to form. I loved it because even though there were people who had been playing much longer than I have, they still had to make a strategy on the spot. I learned A LOT about strategy and good deck structure thanks to that event so it will always be my favorite.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2016, 09:44:05 pm »
    MY absolute favorite is modern. Reason being; I never have to worry about cards falling out of rotation. Also I could take a standard deck to a modern tournament and still be able to play. There's not as much stress as to the legality of one's deck but rather an encouragement to see one's true creativity behind the deck he/she builds.

ep1cn00b

• Strive 2 be strange Refuse 2 be normal!
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 12:03:44 am »
I have never really dealt with an EDH deck. In fact, until a couple weeks ago, I didn't even know what that was. I have seen some friends of mine play it and always thought it would be interesting. Whats really interesting, is watching a group of 4 do EDH and Planes Chase at the same time. Down side, took FOREVER! haha. It was entertaining none the less

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 12:09:56 am »
    I tried playing 4-player EDH a few days ago. Big thing about your decks, make sure that you get the mana that you need. I was running a Meren of clan nel toth B/G sacrifice deck and I couldn't even get 10 mana out the entire game. I had no board state most of the game but I surprisingly came out 2nd. Tips for everyone, have at least 30-45 lands in your EDH decks please (unless you have enough mana ramp). It looks bad to get mana screwed against a W/U, Mono Red artifact and Naya decks.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 03:58:55 am »
I never go less than 36 lands in EDH, most of my decks run 38 I believe.
This space for rent.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 04:07:03 am »
That's good to know and something I'll be incorporating into my own deck builds. The deck I was using was a friends but since I also have the same commander I pretty much knew how to work the deck even with the drawbacks.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 04:28:41 am »
Meant to include...

With the new mulligan rules, having the right amount of land in your deck is that much more important now.
This space for rent.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 04:40:23 am »
Which rule is that? I think Force of Will (another TCG) received a similar rule change. 

Drunk Cynic

• Abusing the Terrible and Neglected
  • Decks
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 05:32:18 am »
Standard. Though I've been playing sporadically since Ice Age, the massive card pools of modern or vintage lead to stagnation. There will always be the strong archetypes.

In Standard, the top deck usually doesn't last past a rotation. Admittedly, some cards are simply too effective, and the decks that feature them have an extensive life span. In the smaller card pool, there is a better chance that something off norm can serve as culture shock for the meta.

Most recently example from when I was actively tracking standard, Izzet featuring Ornithopter and Ensoul Artifact.
Perpetual Johnny. Interactions and originality are preferable to winning, though winning doesn't hurt.
If I throw statistics at you, they likely came from:
https://stattrek.com/online-calculator/hypergeometric.aspx