deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: GW Casual Decklist - Suggestions?  (Read 27375 times)

OceanSky

• A casual MTG player
  • Decks
GW Casual Decklist - Suggestions?
« on: April 12, 2016, 03:08:58 am »
Green-White

Suggestions welcome.

I'm mostly looking for cards that augment the strategy of this deck. I don't want to modify it too much in terms of the actual playing of the deck. Also, no sideboard suggestions please, since I play casual.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 02:16:30 pm by OceanSky »

OceanSky

• A casual MTG player
  • Decks
Re: GW Casual Decklist
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 03:16:52 am »
For commenters:

I know that this is very enchantment-heavy. I also know there are 61 cards. I don't think these are very big problems, but if you think they could be, please do tell.

I'm a bit concerned with the mana curve and the early-game. I think the mechanic itself by which this deck operates is pretty good though, and I don't want to make things more complicated by adding more mechanics.

OceanSky

• A casual MTG player
  • Decks
Re: GW Casual Decklist
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 01:55:55 pm »
Any good cat cards to add? I like cat cards.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 02:22:59 pm by OceanSky »

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
Re: GW Casual Decklist - Suggestions?
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 03:07:31 pm »
     There are TWO card sets or blocks that I would like for you to take a look at. One is called Shards of Alara and the other is called Theros. Both blocks have cards that tie into your themes.

As far as the deck build goes it's not bad, just try adding more cards that have enter the battlefield triggers for the enchantments or cards that get stronger because of the number of enchantments that you have (for example ethereal armor). Also if you like cat's then try to add more LION creature to the deck, it'll make the tribal theme a lot better and more cohesive for you.

OceanSky

• A casual MTG player
  • Decks
Re: Green-White - Comments
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 03:17:25 pm »
@G.Moto
I have looked at those blocks, but I actually would like cards that not just add +1/+1 or something, but +1/+1 counters. Then I have things like kalonian hydra doubling those or death's presence moving them after creatures die.

OceanSky

• A casual MTG player
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 05:05:30 pm »
I have a specific question:

Do you think Behemoth sledge works with this deck, or is archetype of courage better?
I think archetype of courage is slightly better, since it is both a creature and an enchantment and will trigger both types of abilities. Also, abzan battle priest can give lifelink to almost all of my creatures.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 06:01:35 pm »
  Honestly I think the behemoth sledge would be a better choice. Reason being, not that many people run artifact removal, and it gives any one of your creatures 3 different bonuses while the enchantment creature only gives one and takes from the opponent. Now if you want +1/+1 counters then Return to Ravnica is full of those kinds of cards. All of the GREEN guilds from Ravnica include some form of +1/+1 counter production and can work wonders when used in the right combinations. Cards such as burst of strength, crowned ceratok, forced adaptation, ivy lane denizen, and others would be good for your deck. They make your creatures strong and they provide excellent combat tricks.

OceanSky

• A casual MTG player
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 07:37:37 pm »
ok...

Then which is better for my deck:
Behemoth sledge or crowned ceratok? I like the idea of trample on most of my creatures, but the sledge gives 2 additional buffs. Or maybe back to archetype of courage? If i have archetype of courage combined with bow of nylea, then I can kill almost any creature before it even attacks me back.

Also, which is better:
Pacifism or Arrest? Maybe one of each?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 07:41:48 pm by OceanSky »

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2016, 10:11:53 pm »
  I would run the crowned ceratok in the main board and side board the behemoth sledge (the additional buffs are cool but if your deck focus is +1/+! counters then you'll get a better long term investment once it hits the field). But if you have the bow of nylea you can use that as a +1/+! counter producer and start getting some good triggers for all your creatures. As my final decision: Main board the ceratok and the bow, side board the sledge and the archetype of courage. Then just arranged them as you will when you start playing.

As for the two white enchantments I would prefer the Arrest over the Pacifism because it neutralizes your target without having to deal any damage to it (or even destroy it for that matter). Any creature you put it on becomes a giant paper weight. Adding auramancer to your deck will help will the spell recycling.

OceanSky

• A casual MTG player
  • Decks
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2016, 03:43:25 am »
Ok thanks! I don't think I will order the Crowned Ceratok. I will also have to disagree with you about the Archetype of Courage, since with my Herald of the pantheon, it really is only a 2-drop. If i have a lot of other stuff out, it triggers almost every ability on the other cards. And I usually play casual, so I don't think I'll be having a sideboard...
However, I do have some cards that I've already ordered that I have found to be inferior to other cards, so they are just sitting there. I have these other cards which have been switched out for various reasons and I don't plan on using them. These are the ones I had to cut, since when I was first putting this deck together, it came out to around 80 cards, but if you think these are better than any of the cards I have in my deck:

Emeria Shepherd
Kalonian Twingrove
Hornet Queen
Behemoth Sledge
Devouring Light x2 - This card I have played with, and I find it really struggles against blue and black decks, which use exiled cards to an advantage
Bane of Bala Ged
Oppressive Rays
Elvish Mystic x2
Siege Wurm x2
Seraph of the Masses x2
Triplicate Spirits x2
Feral Incarnation x2
Raise the Alarm x3

I am still working on this deck. I am ordering cards through amazon, but I don't want to spend too much by buying cards that I will end up switching out for other cards into my deck. I replaced both wall of essence with two suture priests, since I think suture priest can slow down the opponent's early game.

Do you think my mana curve is alright? If you look at the chart, most of my creatures are 2-drops and most of my cards in general are 3-drops. I think technically my Ghoultree is not really an 8-drop, since it costs one less for each creature in my GY. Also, do you think it's ok to have only one instant? I know a lot of other decks rely on instants, but personally, I have never liked instants. They're just too "use once then throw away." I find that enchantments are better since they (theoretically) last the whole game.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 03:53:24 am by OceanSky »

OceanSky

• A casual MTG player
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2016, 03:57:49 am »
Heh heh... What would happen if Ajani's Goldmane made an Avatar creature token and I had a Growing Ranks out?

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2016, 04:14:05 am »
     Then you'd make creature tokens of the avatar creature token. They's all have the same effect so if your life total were say up to 35 then ALL your Ajani Avatar Tokens would have (35/35). Good idea. Also you might want to adjust the mana distribution in this deck. You're going to get mana screwed pretty hard if you don't fix it.

Also addressing your last reply, oppressive rays, elvish mystic, bane of bala ged, hornet queen and the devouring light will definitely be worth keeping. Reasons being:
1) oppressive rays is like a cheaper version of arrest and turns the targeted creature into a mana sink. Trust me, nobody wants a mana sink too early in the game, it'd be the equivalent of casting a 6-drop creature and NOT being able to use any of its effects.

2) elvish mystic may be a low drop but he can help with that mana push as far as your stronger spells go. Also just by giving IT the behemoth sledge (if you're still on the fence about it), it would be a (3/3) with lifelink and trample. I don't expect you to swing much with it but it'll be some defense.

3) The eldrazi gets rid of PERMANENTS. This means lands, planeswalkers, creatures and even other enchantments. It'll be worth having since you've already got the mana ramp for it.

4) Hornet queen is flying and death touch (without the need to attack just to get death touch from your bow). Also she brings friends with her which makes it even more difficult for the enemy since they are all flyers AND have death touch as well.

5) Lastly the devouring light, you may have negative views on it but whatever you exile STAYS GONE. That means if a person attacks you with their legendary creature..poof! If they come at you with a (10/10) creature with trample, just pay the mana or convoke some of your creature tokens and its history.

These are just some of my ideas on your deck, what are your thoughts so far?

OceanSky

• A casual MTG player
  • Decks
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2016, 04:31:35 am »
I think the 7-drops mentioned above are a bit too mana-expensive for this deck, even with elvish mystics. I don't want to go over 61 cards, so should there be one Arrest and one Oppressive Rays? Or should I just stick to two Arrests? The whole reason why i don't have early game spells for removal (or in this case making a creature utterly useless) is that usually, the creatures that are particularly menacing appear in the middlegame.

I found this new card called Phytohydra. It seems like a good card that goes well with my deck strategy, but I don't know what to replace with it. I'm thinking Phytotitan, but Phytotitan is a 7/2 regen, so idk. any weak cards to pull out and replace with phytohydra? I don't want to trim any early game cards, since i'm already thin on those.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 05:02:39 am by OceanSky »

OceanSky

• A casual MTG player
  • Decks
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2016, 04:33:11 am »
The eldrazi I decided to replace with archon of justice. If I put a gift of immortality on it, I exile a creature whenever it dies, indefinitely, until it's exiled.

OceanSky

• A casual MTG player
  • Decks
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2016, 04:37:15 am »
How can I add land cards to a deck that's already over 60?!?!?
XD