deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Dega Midrange Control - Comments  (Read 558 times)

Comment Bot

Dega Midrange Control - Comments
« on: February 16, 2014, 08:21:36 pm »
This is the comment topic for Dega Midrange Control.

Please use the Reply button to comment. If you do not have an account yet, please use the link on top to register.

Dies ist das Kommentarthema für Dega Midrange Control.

Bitte benutze den Knopf "Reply", um einen Kommentar zu schreiben. Wenn du noch kein Benutzerkonto hier hast, benutze bitte den Link "Register" (oben) um dich zu registrieren.

Ragamander

• Decks
Re: Dega Midrange Control - Comments
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 08:21:36 pm »
First of all, I think Dega Control is a solid choice at the moment, and I like the inclusion of Alms Beast. Personally, I went with Hundred-Handed One in that slot, because it puts a ton of pressure on aggro decks, which can neither attack into it nor block it profitably. Alms Beast can only do one or the other, but it's a solid midrange-control critter. If you continue to run it, you might want to consider Erebos, God of the Dead. Here are my suggestions:

1) Ultimate Price is better than Doom Blade in the current metagame. Ultimate Price is almost never a dead card; Doom Blade is practically useless against MonoBlack Devotion and Orzhov Midrange/Control.

2) Boros Reckoner is probably more effective than High Priest of Penance. You can use the Reckoner to put pressure on your opponents, while still being able to use it as a kill spell on the defense. Furthermore, it maintains synergy with Anger of the Gods, and even allows you to win the game out of nowhere. As an added perk, it has much more synergy with Whip of Erebos.

3) Underworld Connections is going to serve you better than Read the Bones. Your deck is playing the long game, and Underworld Connections gets you more card advantage overall.

4) I know it's expensive, but Thoughtseize is pretty critical. There are a lot of cards you just can't let hit the board, like Blood Baron of Vizkopa. More importantly, you can gut ramp decks, combo/synergy decks, and control decks from the get-go, and, in any matchup, looking at your opponent's hand will tell you how you need to ration your kill spells.

5) Speaking of Blood Baron, you should be running Mizzium Mortars somewhere. It's just so good in the deck. It kills practically anything, and doubles as a late-game sweeper. Anything it can't kill can be cleaned up with your other kill spells.

6) If you're running two Whips of Erebos, you might consider running Pack Rat. I probably wouldn't, but you should consider it. It will let you pitch the extra Whip, and it means you'll never ever have dead cards in your hand, which is a major problem against Azorius/Esper Control.

7) Your deck is very mana-hungry, and it can't afford to come up short. You should run at least 25 lands. Maybe even 26 would be appropriate. You can go as nonbasic as you want.

4 Temple of Malice
4 Temple of Silence
4 Temple of Triumph
4 Blood Crypt
4 Godless Shrine
4 Sacred Foundry
2 Swamp

8) If you were to use that mana-base, you'd want to cut down on Chained to the Rocks. It's still good, but three is risky.

9) You're not sideboarding Slaughter Games. You ought to be, because Blood Baron of Vizkopa and Gray Merchant of Asphodel are problems. It also wrecks control decks, since they run so few actual win methods. Using Slaughter Games on Aetherling is a critical play.

10) Speaking of Aetherling, Pithing Needle is a critical sideboard card. Pack Rat is another huge problem that Pithing Needle stops dead. It also stops Underworld Connections and Jace, Architect of Thought from getting out of hand (just remember to name the land that Underworld Connections is attached to). Random planeswalkers and monstrous creatures also fall to the Needle. Some people around here are main-decking it.

11) As much as I love the card, Underworld Cerberus will almost never be useful for you. You are focused on killing your opponent's creatures, and so Underworld Cerberus is a huge liability. If it dies, they'll get back more than you will. Azorius/Esper Control will just use Detention Sphere on it, since those are dead against many of your other threats anyways. Granted, you say the deck is working fine as is, so maybe your metagame is a lot different from mine and from the competitive scene. If you're looking to protect your creatures, Boros Charm is probably the better card. It also lets you combo off for infinite life with Boros Reckoner and Whip of Erebos.

12) Gods are a problem. Revoke Existence is the solution. It also handles a wide variety of annoying enchantments, like Underworld Connections, Detention Sphere, and whatever enchantment-creatures your opponents are using.

13) If you don't like Revoke Existence, you could try Gild, but you have to wait until the god is a creature.

I don't know; that's about it. For reference, here is my deck before Born of the Gods:
https://deckstats.net/decks/10048/66828-ths-dega-control
And here is my deck after Born of the Gods:
https://deckstats.net/decks/10048/66830-bng-dega-control

Good luck!