deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Help me build this deck  (Read 6809 times)

bigdogdch

• Decks
Help me build this deck
« on: April 14, 2016, 05:58:44 pm »
I have an idea for this finishing combo. Gravepurge + Liliana's Indignation
I am having a difficult time deciding what other color(s) to use.
Thinking green for low mana cost creatures (elves maybe) and ramp, or blue for self mill.
Returned Centaur is a strong possibility

Thanks for the help

Almost forgot.  Shooting for a standard deck
Thanks
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 08:59:20 pm by bigdogdch »

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
Re: Help me build this deck
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 02:40:51 am »
I'd advise green for the ramp to be able to hit Liliana's Indignation for a substantial amount.
This space for rent.

EBWonder

• Doing the voodoo that I do so well
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 03:17:59 am »
what format? standard? modern? legacy? JfF?

ushiikun

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2016, 03:29:54 am »
As just a finisher, I'd go mono black. That give you a little control until you can assemble your comb, some good discard outlets to get creatures directly into your graveyard, and some tutor to help get your combo into your hand.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2016, 06:45:12 am »
   I would recommend Blue/Black and go with a zombie deck build. This way you can use zombie tokens to hold down the field, use the spells to speed through your deck, use the creatures to load up the graveyard and then lastly finish with the spell combo that you have come up with. The deck can work, you just need the right cards for it (and yes this deck can be standard).

Jace27

• Combo+Combo=More combos :)
  • Decks
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2016, 01:52:36 pm »
Run a mono-black modern deck with tons of killspells and tiny deathtouch creatures. Put in some sac engines and discard discard outlets. Even maybe, as @G.Moto said, add in some zombies like Gravecrawler so you can activate the sac engines abilities multiple times.
For my opponents, a healthy diet of counterspells, artifacts, and crazy combos.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2016, 02:29:06 pm »
  @Jace27, he's trying to build a Standard deck. That means only cards from the Dragons of Tarkir, Origins, Battle for Zendikar and the Shadows over Innistrad sets only. But i'm seeing that Mono-Black zombies is a popular trend among people. Reason why I choose U/B over mono-B is because the second color gives a larger array of creatures, it gives more play options, and it's easier t maintain some degree of control over the opponent as you play.

Jace27

• Combo+Combo=More combos :)
  • Decks
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2016, 09:48:36 pm »
Sorry, missed the edit.
For my opponents, a healthy diet of counterspells, artifacts, and crazy combos.

Mat Montgomery

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2016, 10:05:30 pm »
  @Jace27, he's trying to build a Standard deck. That means only cards from the Dragons of Tarkir, Origins, Battle for Zendikar and the Shadows over Innistrad sets only. But i'm seeing that Mono-Black zombies is a popular trend among people. Reason why I choose U/B over mono-B is because the second color gives a larger array of creatures, it gives more play options, and it's easier t maintain some degree of control over the opponent as you play.
You forgot oath lol

Mat Montgomery

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2016, 10:07:34 pm »
You forgot oath lol
Oath was rather lackluster asides from expos, so i dont blame you. I wish i could forget drafting that set.

bigdogdch

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2016, 11:53:26 pm »
Any thoughts about B/R vampires? 
From what I have seen so far there would be plenty of discard/sacrifice outlets plus tutoring.
Off hand I can think of a couple of Black tutor cards. Sidisi, my favorite. Plus red has some draw in tormenting voice and a bit of ramp with the vessel of volatility
Keep the advice coming.
If you have any specific card suggestions, please feel free to make your suggestion
Thanks all

EBWonder

• Decks
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2016, 02:21:38 am »
My first thought was to go with WWolfe's suggestion, although I can see how G. Moto's deck would work as well. I also thought of B/R like bigdogdch.

A lot depends on how fast you want your combo to trigger, to kill somebody at 20 life, you'll need 14 mana. So the game cap, assuming you have to hard cast everything, you have the combo in hand, and no life is lost, is 14 turns. That's a long time.

How about B/U/G?
You could use cards like Epiphany at the Drownyard to get creatures into the graveyard.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2016, 06:52:20 am »
   @mat montgomery, when I was naming the sets I was trying to encompass the ENTIRE blocks. So when I said battle for Zendikar, I was referring to that entire block. My apologies for any confusion. But in my honest opinion that block wasn't that bad. It was my first time actually playing on zendikar. I'm not a big fan of the lands turning into creatures but the concept was good and the other set mechanics worked great in the decks I built.

@bigdogdch, the vamps do seem to have a heavy focus on the MADNESS enabling for this block. They are also doing the throwback to gaining +1/+1 counters for dealing damage (like in the last Innistrad block). Because it's Liliana's indignation I would feel that flavor wise it would go best in a zombie deck. However since this is your card combo any deck that has a large amount of creatures AND has a focus on black mana would work out just fine. So really the different combos would be (and this is as far as synergy in Standard goes);

1) Mono-Black
2) Orzhov [W/B]
3) Dimir [U/B]
4) Rakdos [B/R]
5) Golgari [B/G]
6) Esper [U/W/B]
7) Grixis [B/U/R]
8) Jund [R/B/G]
9) Abzan [W/B/G]
10) Sultai [B/G/U]
11) Mardu [R/W/B]

Any one of these color combos can support your strategy. The main question now is this; Which decks help your strategy the most?

Also @EBWonder, that would be a good strategy. If you made the deck Sultai (or "BUG") then you can include creatures such as manic scribe and the enchantment vessel of nascency. This way you can hit delirium, load up your graveyard and NOT be a sitting duck until you get the finisher that you want. Also the addition of BLUE in this deck would offer you the spell protection that you need in order to make the combo go off without any hiccups.

EBWonder

• Decks
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2016, 07:06:54 pm »

Also @EBWonder, that would be a good strategy. If you made the deck Sultai (or "BUG") then you can include creatures such as manic scribe and the enchantment vessel of nascency. This way you can hit delirium, load up your graveyard and NOT be a sitting duck until you get the finisher that you want. Also the addition of BLUE in this deck would offer you the spell protection that you need in order to make the combo go off without any hiccups.

manic scribe mills your opponent, not yourself, but I like the idea

Mat Montgomery

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2016, 03:59:35 am »
   @mat montgomery, when I was naming the sets I was trying to encompass the ENTIRE blocks. So when I said battle for Zendikar, I was referring to that entire block. My apologies for any confusion. But in my honest opinion that block wasn't that bad. It was my first time actually playing on zendikar. I'm not a big fan of the lands turning into creatures but the concept was good and the other set mechanics worked great in the decks I built.

@bigdogdch, the vamps do seem to have a heavy focus on the MADNESS enabling for this block. They are also doing the throwback to gaining +1/+1 counters for dealing damage (like in the last Innistrad block). Because it's Liliana's indignation I would feel that flavor wise it would go best in a zombie deck. However since this is your card combo any deck that has a large amount of creatures AND has a focus on black mana would work out just fine. So really the different combos would be (and this is as far as synergy in Standard goes);

1) Mono-Black
2) Orzhov [W/B]
3) Dimir [U/B]
4) Rakdos [B/R]
5) Golgari [B/G]
6) Esper [U/W/B]
7) Grixis [B/U/R]
8) Jund [R/B/G]
9) Abzan [W/B/G]
10) Sultai [B/G/U]
11) Mardu [R/W/B]

Any one of these color combos can support your strategy. The main question now is this; Which decks help your strategy the most?

i don't dislike the entire block, i love battle. oath was lacking in my opinion, mainly becuase they switched to a completely different type of ally effects.