deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Standard State Tourneys  (Read 4626 times)

matothias

• THUG LIFE
  • Decks
Standard State Tourneys
« on: April 19, 2016, 05:45:54 pm »
So a friend of mine has been searching for a good deck for the Star City Games state tourneys this weekend, and he wants to do a G/W, B/W, U/C, or mono red deck. Any suggestions?

matothias

• THUG LIFE
  • Decks
Re: Standard State Tourneys
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2016, 05:46:38 pm »
I have been thinking about this for awhile and thought I could get ideas from you guys:)

ladof

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2016, 06:31:24 pm »
BW vamps isn't bad and I think UC could be strong if you put the money into it. But other than that, we'd probably do better if you had some idea of what your friend likes to play and what he has available to him.
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Frimmel

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2016, 06:38:40 pm »
Well, what does he own or have access to? What does he have to spend and is available to him to buy if he's missing something? Does he just want to go play and hopefully not lose all his games or does he want to have a chance at winning? What does he enjoy playing? There's all kinds of things he could do but we don't have enough information to provide particularly useful help just from some color combinations.

I suggest the "Deck Search" option would be more fruitful than a generic "what should my friend (who can't be bothered to come here himself) play?" Unless what you want is for to tell you to pick something that made top eight in Columbus this past weekend. Like this: https://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=101059

And please note that this is the least snarky and sarcastic and most polite version of this I could come up with.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 06:49:34 pm »
    I don't know much about your friend or their play style but the most CONCRETE of the decks that could be built from your choices would be, in my opinion,  be either the G/W or the W/B. Reasons are as follows:

1) G/W is a part of the current set and has synergies through out the block (SOI). The humans are resourceful, they can build small armies and will survive the game as long as you don't run out of steam.

2) W/B is not as pushed in the shadows over innistrad block but it does have two places. Either you could go Battle for Zendikar and run it with kor/vampires or you can do westvale abbey/westvale cult leader kind of deck. It'll require a bit of work but I feel that it could be a contender when used properly.

Frimmel

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2016, 06:54:23 pm »
 :) Play a Bant Company deck. Here's one from Star City Columbus. It is only costed at about $535  :o but did come in second.

https://deckstats.net/decks/60043/473594-fournier-s-bant-company

;)

Edit: Didn't paste the link to the darn deck.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 07:14:55 pm by Frimmel »

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2016, 07:13:50 pm »
lol I have no clue what this means but have been hearing "COCO" decks are doing good. Whatever coco is?
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Frimmel

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2016, 07:18:40 pm »
lol I have no clue what this means but have been hearing "COCO" decks are doing good. Whatever coco is?

"COCO" is Collected Company. Collected Company is one of the nearly broken cards from Dragons of Tarkir. It is one of the "swingy" things I was refering to earlier. It can very much be an "I win" card. Turn up a Reflector Mage or Bounding Krosis and the whole games flips 180 degrees.

See: https://deckstats.net/decks/60043/473594-fournier-s-bant-company

Or see: https://sales.starcitygames.com/deckdatabase/deckshow.php?event_ID=19&t[T1]=1&start_date=2016-04-16&end_date=2016-04-16&state=OH&city=Columbus&order_1=finish&limit=8&t_num=1&action=Show+Decks

There are only five "COCO" decks in this top eight.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 07:20:55 pm by Frimmel »

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2016, 07:46:16 pm »
  So basically its a deep 6 card scry that lets you pull two creatures right to the battlefield. Seems pretty broke but it gives green the speed it needs. As tough as it may be its not unbeatable.

Frimmel

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2016, 07:55:27 pm »
  So basically its a deep 6 card scry that lets you pull two creatures right to the battlefield. Seems pretty broke but it gives green the speed it needs. As tough as it may be its not unbeatable.

Don't forget that you can do it at Instant speed.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2016, 08:06:26 pm »
  That means it can be a target for dispel. Also it fills up the field fast but it's the perfect opportunity to make someone over extend themselves if you get them early enough. Get their health nice and low, make them pull out 4 or 5 creatures in one turn, then start burning and exiling what you don't like. Also You could try Mardu Angels (R/W/B) instead of just a W/B deck. Along with that you could build a Bant deck as well or you could build a Naya werewolves and humans deck (G/R/W). That's be an interesting combo that most people probably wouldn't see coming. Having cards sch as hope against hope, expose evil, and even strength of arms could be a nice combat trick that can get you an EXTRA creature.

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2016, 06:14:05 am »
Bant Company & GW Humans seem to be the top 2 decks right now at the bigger tournaments.
This space for rent.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2016, 06:32:32 am »
  I'm not surprised, G/W humans in of themselves tend to have strong synergies regardless of the block. Are they seeing popularity because of collected company?

WWolfe

• Patron
  • Banging and (spell) slanging!
  • Decks
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2016, 06:40:25 am »
The lists I've seen (granted I haven't looked at the SCG results from this past weekend in Ohio I think it was), have featured Thalia's Lieutenant, Tireless Tracker, Kytheon/Gideon.
This space for rent.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2016, 07:12:44 am »
  So the name of the game is: Fill the field with low drops, boost all your creatures with +1/+1 counters, go wide and go hard. It reminds me of a R/W aggro deck from Theros, but the green adds the growth aspect to the deck rather than the combat tricks.