deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Veil of Darkness - Comments  (Read 977 times)

Comment Bot

Veil of Darkness - Comments
« on: February 27, 2014, 04:03:41 am »
This is the comment topic for Veil of Darkness.

Please use the Reply button to comment. If you do not have an account yet, please use the link on top to register.

Dies ist das Kommentarthema für Veil of Darkness.

Bitte benutze den Knopf "Reply", um einen Kommentar zu schreiben. Wenn du noch kein Benutzerkonto hier hast, benutze bitte den Link "Register" (oben) um dich zu registrieren.

JacG

• Decks
Re: Veil of Darkness - Comments
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 04:03:41 am »
Some of my favorites are "Feast of Blood," "Necropolis Regent," "Bloodlord of Vaasgoth," and "Malakir Bloodwitch." Of those, I think the Regent and the Bloodlord fit your theme best. There's also the "Butcher of Malakir" and "Anowon, the Ruin Sage" to consider. Unfortunately most of these have high mana costs. I think the Bloodlord would be the best fit of the vampires I can think of. He'd be the top of your curve, and would make all of the creatures you cast from then on more relevant.

A friend of mine has an absolutely disgusting and fast vampire deck that uses many of the same cards that you are using here, and he has I think 2 Necropolis Regents in it despite the mana cost. He usually Rituals them out and smashes, which winds up being very painful. I think his w/l record in our playgroup with that deck so far is 11-1, even with all the multiplayer matches and the shenanigans that go with them.  (The only one he lost was a 1v1 versus my Pump! deck).
He also uses "Falkenrath Aristocrat," which winds up getting stupid when he also has out a Captain, Regent, or Nocturnus.

Another interesting interaction to consider is what happens when you have a Captain and a Vampire Nighthawk out at the same time. First Strike Deathtouch? Please!

l00ke00

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 07:31:19 am »
I would consider dropping Rakish Heir for Gatekeeper of Malakir, More removal is always welcome in a deck like this and he seems really good turn one off a ritual if they played a deathrite or other dork, something Rakish cant even do.

Reeze17

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2014, 04:10:09 am »
@ JacG: I have considered "Necropolis Regent, " but as you said, her mana cost is a little outrageous. By that turn, my vampires are typically around 15/15 first strike flyers with lifelink and haste. For whatever reason, I just don't like her. I love "Malakir Bloodwitch," I used to run a full play set of her in here because she was brutal, again, however, I found that simply buffing the vampires seems more efficient. As for "Butcher of Malakir" I would rather just run a "Grave Pact" because it does the same thing a good three or four turns earlier, when my vampires still die here and there, by turn seven or later they are pretty unstoppable. Anowon...I like him, I am just not too sure of where I would put him, and what I would replace. The chemistry of the deck works so well already. And with "Bloodlord of Vaasgoth" it is the same situation. "Falkenrath Aristocrat" is nice, but I don't like sacrificing my own creatures to keep one alive, generally, they are just as powerful as her, not to mention, I don't have humans, which is pretty much the reason she is good. I have a personal "thing" for the Nighthawk, in fact, I own 99 of them in a collection including a signed one, a foil, and an altered art. I just... I don't know, he doesn't fit into the deck where everything is buffing everything else (not including the highborn because she's so effective.)

Reeze17

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 04:13:26 am »
@ l00ke00: I disagree. I do like "Gatekeeper of Malakir," but, Rakish Heir fits the theme a little better. I typically dark ritual out a "Captivating Vampire" on turn one or a "Bloodline Keeper" on turn two. Trust me, "Deathrite Shaman" is no threat at all to this deck. Those "dork" cards are also rarely played so I don't have too much to worry about.

JacG

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2014, 12:03:12 am »
How often does "Damnation" become useful? If you're investing a lot of resources/turns into your creatures, it seems like it would be a dead draw fairly often. Would you swap that out for nighthawks?

Reeze17

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2014, 08:49:49 am »
I suppose that is a fair point. Hmm. I may consider it. It works really nicely with my "Kalastria Highborn" and it is a nice card to save myself. On the other hand, I could also put in two "Black Sun's Zenith" which may pick off my opponnents smaller creatures, leaving mine alive. I don't know right now. But it is in consideration. I have a very strong personal connection to "Damnation" and the same with this deck, so I like to keep them together.