deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Is anyone actually excited  (Read 1425 times)

ladof

• Decks
Is anyone actually excited
« on: May 24, 2016, 08:26:28 pm »
For eternal masters? I can't bring myself to get hyped for 13$ packs for cards that are only playable in a format that is hyper expensive to get into.

Heck, they're releasing cards that are not even that old, just banned in modern (Jace, the Mind Sculptor I'm looking at you).
Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.

Jace27

• Combo+Combo=More combos :)
  • Decks
Re: Is anyone actually excited
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 02:29:00 am »
I am a little excited, because it could:
a) lower the prices of some expensive cards
b) It could increase trading value for me

I am not happy because:
a) I won't buy a single pack
b) My friends do this fun game where we each buy 2 packs and make a 20 card deck with as many basic lands as needed. We play a tournament and the winner gets a cool promo  (that someone won). Someone will buy Eternal Masters and win the tournament since the cards are more powerful. It will be like our Modern Masters problem times 10.
For my opponents, a healthy diet of counterspells, artifacts, and crazy combos.

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 04:50:08 am »
I may play 1 FNM draft when this comes out, not sure though. If it's like the last masters, then no exitement. Paying 13 bucks to end up with a .50 cent mythic rare. May as well get the crunchy peanut butter out...........
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 09:11:11 pm by robort »
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Ethanfireb

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 05:13:56 am »
Honestly, I want to see more of the commons and uncommons before I decide whether or not I am excited. I am a big draft player, but I also play a ton of EDH. I am not expecting to get anything like a Jace or Force of Will or Mana Crypt or anything for my deck, so I am really looking at this from a drafter's perspective.

AliasGreg

• "WATCH OUT! WATCH OUT! WATCH OUT"
  • Decks
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 02:56:47 pm »
When you play commander, it's generally a good news to see ancient expensive cards becoming cheaper.
It's also a good news when you have the opportunity to buy a box at low price and sell it later when the market is empty.

Crusader

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 12:04:43 am »
Buy singles cheap, sell when they spike, buy em back after reprints, what part about this isn't exciting. Oh the new art. Yawn. Foils. Boring. I quit this game and will throw my collection in a bon fire.

Frimmel

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 05:27:58 pm »
Not excited or that interested beyond it bottoming out the prices on the "old school" stuff I have that I just hold onto because "for that price" I might as well keep. Pretty much sticks me with all of it at this point.

It also won't do anything but make the format more expensive since no duals reprints. Sure Force of Will will come down but Volcanic Island and Tundra and such will be going up from already out of reach.

Might be good to bring some of the pricier standard stuff down as guys get distracted by the new bright shiny object.

xcver

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 05:08:08 pm »
I am excited and booked a package for 1 EMA sealed and draft at GP Prague :)

I am not convinced that modern and legacy are as expensive as people make them out to be. Sure the initial investment is high. But maintenance is fairly low. Whereas for Standard you always have to acquire the new goods and to be honest most ppl are not able to transition without losing money (or they are lying to themselves). Standard right now is fairly cheap as compared to last season with the top decks about 400-500 USD on mtggoldfish. There are good modern decks to be had for under 1000 USD (such as Merfolg, Tron, Scapeshift or Affinity). The expensive decks are basically the ones playing Tarmogoyf or expensive manabases. For legacy a lot of tier1 decks are available from 1300-2000 USD such as Death & Taxes, Eldrazi, Elves and Reanimator. The real expensive ones are the 3-4 color delver decks. But keep in mind, once you have acquired the fetches, duals etc. and also most of the other expensive cards that they will retain value (especially if on the reserved list).  I basically converted everything to eternal formats nowadays and do not play standard anymore unless forced to (and given a deck). And if I need to buy newer cards they usually are not that expensive and even if so will retain value if played in modern/legacy (vintage can be discounted for that).

Bartley

• Greetings!
  • Decks
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 05:15:39 pm »
I am very excited..... finally a chance to get some cards that i have always wanted!!  ... prob going to spend over 100 bucks on cards.... which is exactly what they want us to do:)