deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Budget for tournament? Ally/LifedrainDeck  (Read 1052 times)

itsmagcal

• Decks
Budget for tournament? Ally/LifedrainDeck
« on: May 26, 2016, 03:45:31 am »
Hey guys :)
Here is my first completed MTG-deck, so i wanted to ask how you find it and if its viable for tournaments? I have no experience with it but i want to join some in future.
So if you want take a look, maybe you have some ideas or get inspired too whoever knows  ;D
thanks for any feedback

https://deckstats.net/decks/57599/499330-no-drain-no-gain

Deck: No drain no gain

//Lands
4 Ally Encampment
4 Caves of Koilos
6 Plains
5 Swamp
4 Temple of Silence
1 Westvale Abbey

//Spells
3 Anguished Unmaking
2 Captain's Claws
1 Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
2 March from the Tomb
1 Sorin, Solemn Visitor

//Creatures
1 Athreos, God of Passage
2 Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim
1 Blood Baron of Vizkopa
3 Cliffhaven Vampire
4 Drana's Emissary
1 Felidar Sovereign
3 Hada Freeblade
4 Kalastria Healer
4 Ondu Cleric
4 Zulaport Cutthroat

//Sideboard
2 Lantern Scout
2 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
2 Day of Judgment
1 Blood Baron of Vizkopa
2 Vizkopa Guildmage
1 Palace Siege
2 Hero of Goma Fada
3 Mortify

Deckstatistik anzeigen
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 04:14:50 am by itsmagcal »

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
Re: Budget for tournament? Ally/LifedrainDeck
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 07:27:31 am »
    The deck is certainly viable. If you focus the deck more on Zendikar and the allies then you'll get a faster and more reliable deck. For example, if you add retreat to emeria then you can get an ally trigger just about every turn. Also If you add vampiric rites along with the enchantment then you can create a creature and sac the creature for card advantage AND life advantage (as well as triggering Zulaport cutthroat effects).  Was this deck intended to be Standard or Modern? Either direction you take the deck it can be pretty effective.

itsmagcal

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 11:27:40 am »
Glad to hear this!
Well yeah but imo the retreat to emeria enchantment slows the deck too hard.
In my experience you miss one turn when you play it in turn 4, which is mostly important, thats why i added captain´s claws instead so it should be possible to get an ally token each turn as well. But maybe i give it a try.
So i would take out the felidar sovereign and the Blood Baron of Vizkopa and focus on the life drain as win condition.
But though i have really no idea how to bring in vampiric rites  :o
This card seems pretty nice for me, cause i watched out for some carddraw anyway and it would fit very well.

I wanted to try it in modern first of all

Thanks for the feedback anyway :)
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 11:59:29 am by itsmagcal »

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 04:58:52 pm »
   Its no problem. Indeed the artifact is faster than the enchantment but if you don't draw into any creatures then it basically becomes a huge paper weight. At least if you have the enchantment you have a guaranteed creature production if you're dropping lands. If you add evolving wilds to this deck then you can get double land drops on some of your turns (which will give you double the kor ally token production). Maybe add slab hammer and keep bouncing lands would also help with the landfall triggers.

As for the two creatures you plan on removing, yes that would be a good idea. Doing so will make the deck more stream line and give it a better focus and give your opponent less targets. Adding creatures such as nirkana assassin, bloodbond vampire, expedition envoy, kor bladewhirl (will give your allies some back bone and a strong offense hen needed), serene steward, stone haven medic, and vampire envoy would all be good additions to this deck depending on the direction you take it. With these creatures the deck still keeps to its theme while at the same time offering a stable and sturdy board presence.

As far as spells go cards such as tandem tactics would work well for your deck because it offers a combat trick AND life gain at the same time. As far as the mana production goes I would recommend removing the westvale abbey in favor of scoured barrens. Now if you keep it so that you can sacrifice the kor tokens and other ally creatures for Zulaport cutthoat then I can see this working. But I feel that getting that extra life on your turn and having more black mana will help your deck more as far as mana production goes. The thing about non-basic lands is that they slow down the deck unless they produce the color mana you need or enter the battlefield untapped. This is what you want to look for as far as a reliable mana base goes. But all of this is purely a matter of opinion, how do you feel about these suggestions?

itsmagcal

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 08:52:18 pm »
Well i think the enchantment is only useful versus a removal-heavy deck, so they cant easily remove the felidar sovereign played for 6 e.g. But in general it´s too weak i think to take it as a key card adding cards like slab hammer, that goes too far away from the strategie. Also the other allies you meantioned i don´t like, because after some experience with allies i don´t like it to be dependend on your board like with nirkana assassin, cause they are removed so easily. thats the reason i like vampire envoy so much with its 4 toughness, but actually drana´s emissary just fits better. But if i feel i need more board presence, i would replace drana for her.
Same for tandem tactics, its too situational. bloodbond vampire i don´t take in, cause the deck doesnt want to attack, it just drains the life of the enemy off, so the cliffheaven vampire fits better on turn 4.
I aldready thought about sirene steward, maybe this card is worth a try, i just took her out, cause of the manacurve.. 18 2 mana spells is pretty much ^^

About the westvale abbey i´m going to think.. cause i noticed i leak some mana for the spells anyway , cause the ally encampment does only give mana for the creaturespells .. but dont know i kind of like it.. it gives you some lategamepower in an allydeck and fits well with generating creatures and so on
also there are already many manafixers like caves if koilos and tempel of silence

I also think about to replace it with vault of the archangel  .. so cutthroat etc. and other tokens get deathtouch AND even lifelink whats awesome
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 09:02:38 pm by itsmagcal »

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 08:44:20 am »
    So based off of your post it sounds like you know what you want. Have you tested out any of your possible changes? Also if gaining life and taking life is so important to you then why not add retreat to hagra or something of a similar nature? At least this way the countdown for life loss is already started. Also vampiric rites would be a good card to have since while you have disposable creatures on the field you can gain life, take life (because of your cliffhaven vampire), and get card advantage. What do you think of these suggestions?

itsmagcal

• Decks
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2016, 03:28:19 pm »
just in the online game, magic duals , but there i felt  its not pretty viable. too slow and easy too counter. vampiric rites is a card i am going to test , has some nice combs and gives me card what i was looking for. retreat to hagra is maybe also worth a test but actually i rate palace siege over it, cause in turn three i want to play other cards (like my creatures to get my board).  this card is also better in the lategame , cause you may get your allies back and trigger the kalastria healer effects every turn combined with zulaport cutthroat (a creature dies, the enemy loses 1 life, you get it back next turn etc)
so you can say siege palace combines your suggestions of retreat to emeria and retreat to hagra , but here you can chose and are not dependend on the mana drop and fits better in the manacurve imo :)
actually i put the Athreos, God of Passage in cause it has almost the same effect and is harder too remove but i go test both, at least the cards will get in the sideboard i think

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2016, 05:14:28 pm »
   Fair enough, if you can make it work. Just keep in mind though, this deck may work great in modern but if you try to make a standard version you may have to disassemble it altogether. Just a fair warning, set rotations can be a nuisance sometimes.

itsmagcal

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 09:08:40 pm »
yes i see .
already hard to get this viable for standard. i think i go for modern better  :D
thanks for the advises bro

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 09:24:24 pm »
  Anytime man, you need anything else you just let me know.