deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: powerful/fun cards with drawbacks?  (Read 2499 times)

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
Re: powerful/fun cards with drawbacks?
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2016, 09:12:31 pm »
  So if you give goldnight castigator the furnace of rath, would you receive 4x the damage? That's crazy.....but if you can make it work then roll with it. Heck I'll help you out if you're interested, I love building decks that people would not expect.
Oh yes! Lets do this! How much damage can you multiply to kill yourself. (I wonder if Furnace of Rath stacks)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 11:52:54 pm by Mnemosyne »

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2016, 11:51:37 pm »
Mindwrack Demon can be a really cool card but if you don't have the delirium trigger active then it becomes tricky to play. I've had situations where my graveyard wasn't diverse enough for delirium but he was the only powerful creature in my hand.

I don't think Goldnight Castigator and I will ever be friends. I played her in a limited deck at the SOI sealed release event and sometimes that was a good thing and sometimes I was sitting at the loser's table talking to her like "I thought you were on my team?"

Okay this is what I came up with https://deckstats.net/decks/51869/508868-goldnight-castration-p

It uses Assault Formation, so that Goldnight Castigator becomes a 9/9 essentially, Orbs of Warding protects you, and a lot of buff spells (Titan's Strength) to ensure it deals enough damage to kill your opponent before Goldnight Castigator becomes a problem.

Realise that Languish and Grasp of Darkness does not trigger Goldnight's passive ability. So they would have to deal 5 damage in order to kill it.

Mostlynotgay

• It's really not THAT impressive
    • Mostlynotgay Videos
  • Decks
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2016, 04:10:53 am »
I dig em :)

hahaha confusion in the ranks looks like a total blast to play

I have a deck based completely around confusion in the ranks. Spoiler alert: NOBODY likes seeing that card. I've never played a multiplayer match where at least one person didn't scoop at the sight of it.
Youtube Videos: Mostlynotgay

"You're such a f*ggot for playing that in multiplayer" - Opponent when I played Confusion in the Ranks

Modern >

skeri

• Do something that scares you.
  • Decks
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2016, 04:15:18 pm »
Mindwrack Demon can be a really cool card but if you don't have the delirium trigger active then it becomes tricky to play. I've had situations where my graveyard wasn't diverse enough for delirium but he was the only powerful creature in my hand.

I don't think Goldnight Castigator and I will ever be friends. I played her in a limited deck at the SOI sealed release event and sometimes that was a good thing and sometimes I was sitting at the loser's table talking to her like "I thought you were on my team?"

Okay this is what I came up with https://deckstats.net/decks/51869/508868-goldnight-castration-p

It uses Assault Formation, so that Goldnight Castigator becomes a 9/9 essentially, Orbs of Warding protects you, and a lot of buff spells (Titan's Strength) to ensure it deals enough damage to kill your opponent before Goldnight Castigator becomes a problem.

Realise that Languish and Grasp of Darkness does not trigger Goldnight's passive ability. So they would have to deal 5 damage in order to kill it.

That's great! So basically if I wanted to play Goldnight Castigator I would have to build my deck specifically with her card in mind. I think that I would run buff spells like Brute Strength to keep her dealing lots of damage and also have trample so that even blocking would be inefficient for opponents. I am an aggro loving instants and combat tricks kind of girl so I would probably run Titanic Growth in that deck as well. That way every turn you can swing, buff, trample, repeat.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 04:28:28 pm by skeri »
Time is precious, waste it wisely.

skeri

• Decks
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2016, 04:18:21 pm »
  @skeri, the trick is to either give her to your opponent or Run her in a (R/W)/(R/W/B) life gain style of deck. This way you gain so much life that losing 8-10 life per spell won't be able to hinder you too much. That or just negate her effects and make her a big flying 4/9 beatstick.

Possibly the makings of a great beatdown deck. I could definately see her being awesome in a RWB deck that runs things like Grotesque Mutation and Chaplain's Blessing.

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2016, 05:36:10 pm »
 @Mnemosyne, This deck is BONKERS MAN! You do good work using that assault formation. If you take out the rouge's passage the deck could be standard legal and used at FNM tournaments. I would like to see that. Maybe splash some white into the deck and add some protection spells. OR you could add any of these to create a NAYA ANGEL BEATDOWN deck: always watching, expose evil, Nahiri's Machinations, survive the night and topplegeist might be good additions to the deck if you ever decide to take it that route. The reason why I recommend the white is due to the fact that as soon as the opponent sees your angel they are going to use as many lightning ax as possible to get that thing off the board. Being able to strengthen your own creatures AND lock down the opponent would be important things to consider when taking that route.

skeri

• Decks
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2016, 06:03:59 pm »
@Mnemosyne, This deck is BONKERS MAN! You do good work using that assault formation. If you take out the rouge's passage the deck could be standard legal and used at FNM tournaments. I would like to see that. Maybe splash some white into the deck and add some protection spells. OR you could add any of these to create a NAYA ANGEL BEATDOWN deck: always watching, expose evil, Nahiri's Machinations, survive the night and topplegeist might be good additions to the deck if you ever decide to take it that route. The reason why I recommend the white is due to the fact that as soon as the opponent sees your angel they are going to use as many lightning ax as possible to get that thing off the board. Being able to strengthen your own creatures AND lock down the opponent would be important things to consider when taking that route.

YES to the white angel suggestions. Archangel of Tithes would be really effective when paired with Always Watching and Goldnight Castigator.

On a separate note what if you went the U/W/R route? Is there anything fun you could do with Switcheroo and Goldnight Castigator? I mean could you give her to your opponent and then burn spell or Fiery Temper to deal them double damage? Could you use pacifism or bound by moonsilver on her while she belongs to your opponent? You could play something like that with Archangel of Tithes and Always Watching on the board and then sweep in unimpeded.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2016, 06:52:16 pm »
  YES TO THE BLUE! Play PUCA'S MISCHIEF and it's game over for them!!!! This deck is officially modern ready :)

DelverMage

• Decks
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2016, 07:19:46 pm »
@Mnemosyne,  If you take out the rouge's passage the deck could be standard legal and used at FNM tournaments.

Rogue's Passage was in Magic Origins, so it is standard legal.

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2016, 11:40:25 pm »
Rogue's Passage was in Magic Origins, so it is standard legal.

I think G.Moto thought Rogue's Passage was specifically a commander card. It is in Origins, to my knowledge it isn't banned. =D

@Mnemosyne, This deck is BONKERS MAN! You do good work using that assault formation.

Thanks! I think a few people might have suggested using Assault Formation, but I haven't seen any competitive decks using it, unfortunately...

OR you could add any of these to create a NAYA ANGEL BEATDOWN deck: always watching, expose evil, Nahiri's Machinations, survive the night and topplegeist might be good additions to the deck if you ever decide to take it that route. The reason why I recommend the white is due to the fact that as soon as the opponent sees your angel they are going to use as many lightning ax as possible to get that thing off the board. Being able to strengthen your own creatures AND lock down the opponent would be important things to consider when taking that route.

Hmm, I did consider that. The deck is more of a one of many possibilities kind of deck, but white is certainly a good choice, especially with Nahiri's Machinations. For topplegeist you really need delirium to be active, maybe with Vessel of Nascency? I guess with Red/Green decks you have to compromise on protection for damage.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2016, 11:42:04 pm by Mnemosyne »

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2016, 11:56:02 pm »
That's great! So basically if I wanted to play Goldnight Castigator I would have to build my deck specifically with her card in mind. I think that I would run buff spells like Brute Strength to keep her dealing lots of damage and also have trample so that even blocking would be inefficient for opponents. I am an aggro loving instants and combat tricks kind of girl so I would probably run Titanic Growth in that deck as well. That way every turn you can swing, buff, trample, repeat.

Well, you need to factor in the adverse effects of her passive ability. Like G.Moto said, you could use Nahiri's Machinations to make it indestructible. Be careful using instants that buff a single creature in tournament style play. You will likely only surprise them once with that tactic, so use it early on, or if they are tapped out.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2016, 03:57:45 am »
  @ Mnemosyne, when I look at the rouge's passage the image is from the commander set, that's why I thought it wasn't legal. Also concerning that, as long as a card was printed in a previous set it can be used in modern or standard correct? For example, considering mentor of the meek (which was originally printed in Innistrad), could it be used in modern tournaments even if the card itself has the commander symbol on it?

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2016, 05:13:29 am »
  @ Mnemosyne, when I look at the rouge's passage the image is from the commander set, that's why I thought it wasn't legal. Also concerning that, as long as a card was printed in a previous set it can be used in modern or standard correct? For example, considering mentor of the meek (which was originally printed in Innistrad), could it be used in modern tournaments even if the card itself has the commander symbol on it?

Yes! That's correct, all reprints of old sets or extensions that appear in standard or modern legal sets can be used. I made a mistake at a modern event using Propaganda which was Commander and Alpha or Beta only. I was unaware and forced to concede. =( I now use Ghostly Prison in its place.

G. Moto

• Decks
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2016, 05:41:19 am »
  That's really sad. That's why whenever I use tournament decks I try to only use cards from 1 block to keep from that happening. Any FNM tournaments I go to all the way through eldritch moon are going to be straight innistrad builds.

Mnemosyne

• Standard Consultant
  • Decks
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2016, 06:04:56 am »
  That's really sad. That's why whenever I use tournament decks I try to only use cards from 1 block to keep from that happening. Any FNM tournaments I go to all the way through eldritch moon are going to be straight innistrad builds.

That's a good policy. I learnt my lesson the hard way.