deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Modern] Wither is FUN!  (Read 275 times)

angorashi

• Decks
[Modern] Wither is FUN!
« on: June 15, 2016, 09:31:18 am »
Wither is FUN!

Uses -1/-1 counters- through wither and effects such as scar and blowfly infestation - as a source for controlling your opponent, through cards such as kulrath knight, crumbling ashes, and necroskitter.

Galtarnis

• Decks
Re: Wither is FUN! Budget - Comments
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2016, 05:49:13 pm »
hey this deck looks interesting. could you tell me how it plays out and what its weak against? thank you

KouriNick

• So Say We All
  • Decks
Re: [Modern] Wither is FUN!
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2016, 06:59:15 pm »
I've played against a deck sort of like this on MTGO a number of times, and its super good against creature decks. If I'm running B/W tokens, I get stomped every time. The creature supression is real.

However, when I run my Mardu control deck (lots of removal, Nahiri and Elspeth, Sun's Champion) wither Withers (bad pun). All the Scar and other removal become dead and the creatures can't gain any traction.

There are some cards I really fear seeing though. I've seen versions that run Geralf's Messenger (since giving him a -1/-1 counter just removes his +1/+1 and he can undying again), and I hate trying to fight that card. It forces me to use either Path to Exile or multiple removal spells.

I've also had people board in Dash Hopes against me. That's crazy effective at stepping up tempo while letting cards like Scar get boarded out.
Discard effects like Duress and Despise are butal. 
Dreadbore is also a great sideboard option (especially now with all the plainswalkers floating around)

Really, the trick to playing wither seems to be assume you're against creatures game 1. You'll either stomp face or get shut down by control. Then pretty much the whole sideboard can be anti control cards (Geralf's Messenger, Dash Hopes, Duress, Despise, Dreadbore), bring them all in if needed.

So overall the deck is great, and just needs a sideboard to face control matchups.
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.