deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Modern] Mardu Control  (Read 277 times)

jaynan

• Decks
[Modern] Mardu Control
« on: June 16, 2016, 02:12:50 am »
First attempt at a mardu control. Finishing with Nahiri/Emrakul, Nahiri/Ulamog combo. Burn their creatures and burn your opponent.

Any suggestions? Comments?

Mardu Control

"Someday, someone will best me. But it won't be today, and it won't be you."

mattador_actual

• Decks
Re: [Modern] Mardu Control
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 02:48:40 am »
Why not run 4 Nahiris and drop the Ulamog? 

jaynan

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 03:33:19 pm »
I think at the time I was infatuated with Ulamogs milling that I was distracted with actual function. Thanks!

KouriNick

• So Say We All
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 06:19:50 pm »
Hello! I also run a Mardu Control Deck, so seeing more people playing it is very exciting! I really like your version and definitely see some creative ideas at work. Biggest problem I've found when running my version is my opponent's threat density. If they play a lot of creatures, I can pretty much be sure Nahiri won't make it to 8 loyalty. So I find myself looking for other win conditions and Lingering Souls ins't usually enough.

I respect the "run no creatures other than Combo pieces" thing, and did the same myself for several weeks. It has the benefit of your opponent having dead removal in their hand game 1, and forcing them to side it all out post sideboarding. unfortunately, it means their removal will all be saved up to hit your Shambling Vent when you activate it.

So adding some additional creatures will help the manlands survive longer. Some great options for a deck like this are Young Pyromancer, Grim Lavamancer, and Goblin Dark-Dwellers. They may soak up some Lightning Bolts, but that means less bolts to the face or at Nahiri. And when they do survive, they do a lot of work. And if you end up adding more creatures, Kolaghan's Command becomes a great card.

If you definitely want to stick to the "no creature" path, I totally get it, and my only suggestion would be a couple mainboard Timely Reinforcements and an Elspeth, Sun's Champion. Timely provides good blockers and life gain, while Elspeth can win the game by herself. 3 tokens a turn and a built in big creature wipe is ridiculously powerful. 

I hope you find this helpful! Good luck and Happy Hunting :)
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

jaynan

• Decks
Re: Mardu Control - Comments
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 01:35:47 am »
thanks for the input @kourinick. I'm definitely looking into some of the options you suggest, I'll see what plays best for me and work from there!

I appreciate it man!

mattador_actual

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 02:35:27 am »