deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Mono blue illusion deck idea query  (Read 720 times)

Chrissyboytux

• Decks
Mono blue illusion deck idea query
« on: August 01, 2016, 03:16:17 am »
I'm trying to build a mono blue deck. Mainly around illusion creatures. One creature I was interested in is Renegade Doppelganger.

It's oracle reads "Whenever another creature enters the battlefield under your control, you may have Renegade Doppelganger become a copy of that creature until end of turn"

This is a nice effect, but you may not get consistency in summoning a strong creature you can copy and attack with each turn. I thought I may be able to achieve this consistency with the enchantment spell: Halcyon Glaze.

It's oracle reads "Whenever you cast a creature spell, Halcyon Glaze becomes a 4/4 Illusion creature with flying in addition to its other types until end of turn."

I got excited about this, because I thought any time I cast a creature spell (including Renegade Doppelganger), Halcyon Glaze would become a 4/4 Creature with flying, and any existing Renegade Doppelganger's and/or a newly summoned Renegade Doppelganger could become copies of the 4/4 Flying illusion creature, therefore giving the possibility of quite a damaging assault on your opponent. These creatures could even be buffed with Lord of the Unreal, or Paragon of Gathering Mists, for extra damage. I was also thinking of including Phantasmal Image whom could become a copy of an existing Renegade Doppelganger so the 4/4 flying illusion creatures would keep amassing if the board was controlled well enough. I had the idea of protecting the Doppelganger's with Eel Umbra, as well as having a few low cost defenders and unsummon cards to keep the battlefield's control in your favour.

Now, this would all be fine and dandy if I wasn't questioning whether Renegade Doppelganger could actually become a copy of a Halcyon Glaze in the first place. The problem is Renegade Doppelganger's oracle reads "Whenever another creature ENTERS THE BATTLEFIELD...".

- The argument against Renegade Doppelganger being able to become a copy Halcyon Glaze when it's ability triggers and becomes a creature is that it hasn't actually entered the battlefield (the enchantment spell entered the battlefield on a previous turn and is not re-entering the battlefield when its ability triggers and becomes a creature).

- The argument for would be that Halcyon Glaze is an enchantment spell, but when it triggers Halcyon Glaze becomes a creature type and enters the battlefield as a creature.

I'm probably actually 60/40 in favour of against being the correct ruling, but I might be wrong and maybe someone with deeper knowledge than myself could clear this up.

Aside from this question, I have a question about Phantasmal Image regarding Halcyon Glaze as well. Say you summon a cheap creature spell at the start of your turn and Halcyon Glaze becomes the 4/4 illusion creature with flying as stated In it's oracle. You attack with Halcyon Glaze and go to your second main step after combat. You have 2 untapped lands left and summon Phantasmal image. Could he copy the Halcyon Glaze creature, but without the "until end of turn" part taking effect, therefore having a permanent 4/4 creature with flying on the battlefield? Or would he copy that part of the oracle and goto the graveyard at the end of the turn? I really don't know.

Any other help with ideas on improving upon this deck would be welcome. Maybe you know a better option than Halcyon Glaze in triggering consistency with Renegade Doppelganger's effect.

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 03:45:14 am by Chrissyboytux »

robort

• Patron
  • Decks
Re: Mono blue illusion deck idea query
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 05:16:44 pm »
To answer your question simply.
The argument for would be that Halcyon Glaze is an enchantment spell, but when it triggers Halcyon Glaze becomes a creature type and enters the battlefield as a creature.

Your Halcylon Glaze is allready on the battlefield as an enchantment. It does change into the 4/4 but it's still on the battlefield.
It hasn't left to enter the battlefield, it just changes. The wording "becomes" also means its there
A legend in my own mind or so what the voices keep telling me

Chrissyboytux

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 06:28:55 pm »
Thanks for clarifying Robort. I thought that this would be the case. Back to the drawing board 😂.

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 06:54:39 pm »

Aside from this question, I have a question about Phantasmal Image regarding Halcyon Glaze as well. Say you summon a cheap creature spell at the start of your turn and Halcyon Glaze becomes the 4/4 illusion creature with flying as stated In it's oracle. You attack with Halcyon Glaze and go to your second main step after combat. You have 2 untapped lands left and summon Phantasmal image. Could he copy the Halcyon Glaze creature, but without the "until end of turn" part taking effect, therefore having a permanent 4/4 creature with flying on the battlefield? Or would he copy that part of the oracle and goto the graveyard at the end of the turn? I really don't know.

On this subject your Phantasmal Image would become an exact copy of Halcyon Glaze except permanently gain the type Illusion and "When this creature becomes the target of a spell or ability, sacrifice it."  It would work just like Halcyon Glaze after that and become an Enchantment Illusion at the end of turn.