deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: [Modern] Hellbent!  (Read 304 times)

angorashi

• Decks
[Modern] Hellbent!
« on: June 18, 2016, 08:40:34 am »
Hellbent!

Input appreciated! This is my (budgetable) attempt at Hellbent- I've made a couple halfhearted attempts before but this one, I think, flows much better. Dread Slag and Gathan Raiders (which helps achieve hellbent) are the heavy hitters here, while Jagged Poppet and Rakdos Augermage help to achieve hellbent and control your opponent's hand at the same time(rakdos augermage being especially nasty when your own hand is empty), Duress for removing your opponent's removal and Seal in Blood to bide its time without needing to stay in your hand- I've used it on Poppet in a couple games after no blockers were declared to surprise-hellbent myself and discard my opponent's hand.

Input appreciated, thank you friends :)

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
Re: [Modern] Hellbent!
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2016, 03:58:02 pm »
  If you make this deck more madness themed (along with the hellbent) and added cards such as fiery temper, macabre waltz and even tormenting voice it would help as far as discarding goes. Also creeping dread could be a thing so you'd always have an empty hand and could possibly deal damage to your opponent in the process. Just some ideas for you, as long as your hand stays empty and your opponent has no responses for your effects then you're golden buddy.

angorashi

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 10:48:46 am »
Thanks for the input Moto! I experimented with that last night, and I think I'll keep a seperate deck that's a cross between hellbent and madness- honestly, and this is kind of counterintuitive, but I'm finding the two don't work well together once you've initially achieved hellbent, because from that point on I'm wanting to STAY hellbent- the heavy card draw that madness wants can harm me if I can't cast everything I draw in a hellbent deck. If I'm topdecking and I draw fiery temper, I'll have the mana to cast it for 3 because it's the only card I drew, but there's no purpose served in choosing that over lightning bolt unless I'm willing to go without hellbent for potentially several turns in order to get a discard card to go with it- macabre waltz I think would work well, but I'd choose insolent neonite or call the bloodlines over tormenting voice since both are cards I can play when I draw them, and keep hellbent while still being able to cast them as I draw madness cards. Creeping dread, I like the look of- but again, since I'm wanting to keep hellbent, the only time I'll have cards in my hand during my upkeep is early game, and once I've reached 4 mana I'm typically hellbent/a turn away from hellbent.

I DID build the deck last night though, I may put it up although it's not working as well as the straight hellbent deck- I did have a few fun plays where I was activating rakdos augermage with nothing but bloodmad vampire, fiery temper, and incorrigible youths in my hand haha :) but the problem with having cards in your hand to discard FOR madness is that you're not getting any benefit from hellbent :(

G. Moto

• Helping Planeswalkers one post at a time.
  • Decks
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 05:02:58 pm »
   Well with creeping dread, even if you have no cards in hand your opponent will still have to discard so you get to make your opponent discard every turn. Also if you add creatures that have discard effects such as avatar of discord, brain gorger, brain weevil (on yourself after you declare blocks with it), cunning lethemancer, deepcavern imp, drekavac, firefright mage, flowstone channeler (on your opponent's creatures to -x/-x them to death), ghoulsteed (an option for emptying your hand quick), jagged poppet, mad prophet, ridged kusite, sire of insanity, skirge familiar, and viashino skeleton would all be choices i'd consider for your deck.