deckstats.net
You need to be logged in to do this.
The buttons above will open in a new window. Please return to this window after you have logged in. When you have logged in, click the Refresh Session button and then try again.

Author Topic: Way to search decks with my collection?  (Read 1942 times)

Molt45

• Decks
Way to search decks with my collection?
« on: July 26, 2016, 02:04:32 am »
I'm a new player with only about a week under my belt. I have started to buy cards that turn out to be modern legal but not standard. I would like to have a modern and a standard with what I have currently so I can play my friends that have very basic standard decks. Is there a way I can search decks in standard that have a large percentage of cards in my collection?

I'm also trying to modify my modern deck to run around  Nivix Cyclops. Currently I'm surrounding it with Flame Slash, Incinerate, Artful Dodge, and Faithless Looting for the spell pump as well as some easy 1 and 2 drops for turns 1 & 2. What else might be good?
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 05:28:41 am by moltern »

BlackSusanoo

• Decks
Re: Way to search decks with my collection?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2016, 07:50:13 pm »
Firstly, welcome to the world of Magic ^^

Secondly, if you take Nivix Cyclops as a "key" creature for your deck, it could be good to look at things like Wee Dragonauts, Spellheart ChimeraStormchaser Mage as well as any other low drop creature with prowess, and things like Gelectrode that will help you take full advantage of any instant or sorcery you cast.
As for spells, anything like Slip Through Space and Taigam's strike are good choices (though they are standard now, but commons so not too expensive), pumping all your creatures and giving the biggest damage dealer of your team the insurance that he will strike.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 07:51:51 pm by BlackSusanoo »

Jabilac

• Decks
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2016, 09:52:37 pm »
I think Tappedout.net will do what you are looking for in regards to searching out decks that contain certain cards.  I don't know if its exactly what you are looking for but its the only place I can think of.

https://deckstats.net/decks/67320/512489-u-r-prowess/en  My version of a Modern Prowess deck.  I use nivix cyclops in this deck and it can win on turn 4 fairly easily.  Turn 3 - Nivix Cyclops, Turn 4 - Titan's strength on nivix, Slip Through Space on nivix, Temur Battle Rage on nivix.  Turns into a 13/5 unblockable, double strike, trample creature.... Fun times :)

aizbert065

• Decks
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 10:39:57 pm »
nivix ciclopis is the protagonist of a pauper deck (in pauper you can just use common cards). in that deck you can find kiln fiend, titan's strength, brute strength, distortion strike (that's one of the best cards), slip through space, assault strobe, lightning bolt, temur battle rage, ponder (banned from modern), vapor snag ecc..
if you want a modern deck then you can also use wee dragonauts, stormchaser mage, monastery swiftspear (a bit expensive), gitaxian probe, manamorphose or serum vision (instead of ponder)

the list i suggest you for modern (just to play with friends) is:

LANDS [20]
evolving wilds x2, island x9, mountain x9

CREATURES [16]
kiln fiend x4, nivix cyclops x4, stormchaser mage x4, monastery swiftspear x2, wee dragonauts x2

SPELLS [24]
distortion strike x3, artful dodge x1, flame slash x2, incinerate x4 (try to replace this with lightning bolt), mutagenic growth x3, temur battle rage x1, assault strobe x3, vapor snag x3, titan's strength x4

before buying cards, i suggest you to print 'em all (proxy cards) and play the faked deck with someone. if you need to change something you're free to do it, until you like the deck and you say "that's my deck", when you say that, you can start buying cards. i hope i have been useful :)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 10:45:02 pm by aizbert065 »

BlackSusanoo

• Decks
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 11:21:13 pm »
I think Tappedout.net will do what you are looking for in regards to searching out decks that contain certain cards.  I don't know if its exactly what you are looking for but its the only place I can think of.

https://deckstats.net/decks/67320/512489-u-r-prowess/en  My version of a Modern Prowess deck.  I use nivix cyclops in this deck and it can win on turn 4 fairly easily.  Turn 3 - Nivix Cyclops, Turn 4 - Titan's strength on nivix, Slip Through Space on nivix, Temur Battle Rage on nivix.  Turns into a 13/5 unblockable, double strike, trample creature.... Fun times :)

Hehe, a quick way to victory X)

Nils

• Decks
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2016, 12:30:13 am »
Hi moltern,

I have actually been working on a tool that allows you to do exactly what you're looking for: It overlaps your collection with our deck database and finds the decks that best match your collection. Unfortunately this is still in the very early phases of development, but I did just run it on your collection to see what it would give me. Here is the top 5 decks it returned:

Izzet T2 - 64.4444
Prowess Budget - 59.5238
U/R Control Aggro - 58.6957
UR Prowess Pauper - 58.6957   
Storm prowess deck - 57.1429 

I only looked for Standard decks updated in the last year, with at least one Like and with exactly 60 cards in the main deck. The number tells you the approximate percent overlap, excluding basic lands.

Please let me know whether this is helpful, I am very curious to hear what you think!

Nils

KouriNick

• So Say We All
  • Decks
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2016, 01:08:47 am »
Hi moltern,

I have actually been working on a tool that allows you to do exactly what you're looking for: It overlaps your collection with our deck database and finds the decks that best match your collection. Unfortunately this is still in the very early phases of development, but I did just run it on your collection to see what it would give me. Here is the top 5 decks it returned:

Izzet T2 - 64.4444
Prowess Budget - 59.5238

I only looked for Standard decks updated in the last year, with at least one Like and with exactly 60 cards in the main deck. The number tells you the approximate percent overlap, excluding basic lands.

Please let me know whether this is helpful, I am very curious to hear what you think!

Nils

Very Cool Nils! This seems like a very powerful tool, and I'm excited for when it officially releases :)
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

ushiikun

• Decks
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2016, 01:16:28 am »
Hi moltern,

Izzet T2 - 64.4444
Prowess Budget - 59.5238

Nils

Been following to see if there was such a way, can't wait to see this in action!  (Sorry for the derail!)

Nils

• Decks
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2016, 11:31:36 am »
Great to hear you're interested in this! :) I just posted a new topic about this here, where you can request a similar list for your own collection: https://deckstats.net/forum/index.php/topic,22661.0.html

Molt45

• Decks
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2016, 03:28:13 pm »
This is what I am currently running for that deck...
https://deckstats.net/decks/69713/538390-izzet-aggro-hit-and-quit

I'm trying to play pretty quick and use Nivix Cyclops to help finish the game.
Tell me what you think!

KouriNick

• So Say We All
  • Decks
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2016, 05:37:19 pm »
This is what I am currently running for that deck...
https://deckstats.net/decks/69713/538390-izzet-aggro-hit-and-quit

I'm trying to play pretty quick and use Nivix Cyclops to help finish the game.
Tell me what you think!

Hi Moltren! I'm also a big fan of Blue/Red decks and yours is well on its way and has an easy to swallow price tag. Of course, there are cards you could add that are strictly better, but they cost more than the rest of the deck combined (Snapcaster Mage for example). But lets look into what's cheap, good, and playable now. Lucky for you, the newest expansion, Eldritch Moon, has a lot of great cards for a Blue/Red spells deck, all of which are really cheap. Thermo-Alchemist($0.25) is a cheap blocker who deals a minimum of 1 damage a turn. if you're casting lots of spells though (which you certainly will be), it can easily do 3-4 damage a turn, and since you can tap it whenever, you can leave it up to block on your opponents turn and tap it at the end of their turn to hit em again.

Also in Eldritch Moon, Niblis of Frost($0.79) is a beater that pretty much guarantees your attacks will get through, and the prowess just means you'll hit for about 5 a turn. The 4 cost is a little awkward for a deck that's wants to be as aggressive as yours, but the power of Niblis is undeniable.

Finally, Docent of Perfection // Final Iteration ($0.79) is probably the best bomb your deck could ask for. If this guy goes unanswered, he can turn any game around. Since Stormchaser Mage is a Wizard, its very possible for you to play a single instant or sorcery and have him flip, instantly making all your other wizards better, while continuing to generate free 3/2 flying wizards.

I hope you found this helpful! Good luck and Happy Hunting :)
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.